Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sensory-seeking 2 yo

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:56 am
My DS (2 y 4 mo) puts everything in his mouth, jumps off of couches, and tries to hug his 1 yo brother all the time.

His OT and his brother's OT have both told me he's very sensory-seeking. They've given me some ideas but I want to know if there's anyone out there with advice.

Ideas they've given:
Chewy necklace - doesn't work so well
Climbing gym - I take him to the park but I'm scared to get something for my concrete backyard
Compression shirt (tight T shirt) - I think it looks too small on him

Please help!

Thanks!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:43 am
There is a different thread today that explains a sale on weighted blankets. That might help. An indoor swing is also great. They are very expensive but you could make your own. You buy the hooks for the swing and a huge piece of cloth and then sew the 2 sides of the cloth together and then put the cloth through the hook. Look at pictures of indoor swings to understand what I am saying.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:59 am
There are also things you can do without equipment whenever you’re able to, like giving him strong hugs, back rubs, chills, tickles, and other acceptable physical input. If you do this as much as possible throughout the day, not waiting until he’s craving it and “acting out,” he may find some of his sensory needs satisfied.
Also, he’s young but not too young to teach about safety and boundaries. You can redirect him from unsafe sensory outlets such as tackling the baby, to better ones such as (fill in the blank with whatever you’re comfortable with). If he starts to do something you’ve told him isn’t allowed, say “It looks like you need to use some energy! Come and jump on the trampoline.” Or “It looks like you want a hug, but the baby doesn’t want one right now. Can you come give me a big squeeze?”

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:59 am
Sensory issues are often related to food intolerances. Try removing dairy and gluten from his diet, and limiting sugar, and see what happens.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 2:43 pm
I use a body brush for 7yr. old DS. I brush his arms, legs, and back every night before bedtime. It helps him relax and settle down. DS loves it!

I use this one: https://specialsupplies.com/sensory-brushes.
There are different types, though, some with stronger pressure. They're not expensive, you may want to try a couple of different kinds.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 2:45 pm
How about a small trampoline? You can keep it indoors.

soap suds

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 2:48 pm
soap suds wrote:
I use a body brush for 7yr. old DS. I brush his arms, legs, and back every night before bedtime. It helps him relax and settle down. DS loves it!

I use this one: https://specialsupplies.com/sensory-brushes.
There are different types, though, some with stronger pressure. They're not expensive, you may want to try a couple of different kinds.

https://specialsupplies.com/wi.....D_BwE

This one is supposed to be very good. OT recommended it, but DS didn't like it. He prefers the other one which is softer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics