Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Help! I'm a TV addict....
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 4:17 pm
We have a tivo, very useful Smile

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 4:23 pm
use to be into prison break but I got bored in the third season? Forget which. I think once they got out of prison things started to get less interesting...but I do like Haywire? Is he still trying to get to Holland?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 4:41 pm
After I had my first baby I was home all day and as an infant she just slept etc. we had a tv and I was sooooo addicted-espcially with the soap opras. I feel horrible about it now. When im pregnant I dont watch tv at all. (they say everything you hear and see effects the baby etc), and finally we just got rid of it. Bh Bh bh. The shows are so addicting.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 4:51 pm
it's hard to get bored of those "hotties" on the run ... it is only the second season I thought ... but yeah it totally changed now ... they all got stuck in a prison in panama ... crazy ...

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 6:50 pm
there's also peekvid.com, tv-links.co.uk, and rhaxma.com (passworded)

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 8:57 pm
There are lots of places online to download TV shows that other people put up online. We do it all the time. We are big Office fans, but we don't have a TV. DH downloads almost any show we want. He's not home, but if you want specific websites, PM me.

Yakira

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 9:20 pm
We download Grey's Anatomy as torrents, it's usually available the day after it's shown on TV. DH has suggested very nicely that I maybe not get into it this year, but the previews really do look good...I'll probably watch a couple of episodes and if it's dumb hopefully stop.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:55 pm
I knooow, the shows are starting!!
but I dont have tv, so I am happy they have options like abc, and other websites to watch stuff.
for antm, I use youtube
for GA, DH, ugly betty, its abc.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 20 2007, 11:43 pm
If you are addicted to TV (whether watched on actual TV or taped shows or on the computer) and wish you weren't but feel there's nothing else to do and you're just so bored, nothing to do... here are some ideas. This is what I do after the kids go to sleep:

- poke around Imamother
- work on my novel
- work on my business
- write e-mails to friends
- organize my photos
- plan meals
- do mending
- read a book or magazine
- have a cup of tea
- shop online for things we need
- learn something
- write a song
- bake something for my kids' lunchboxes
- go to sleep at a decent hour

Who has time to be bored???? Be creative!! Do something, create something, improve something, plan something. Learn to sew and make clothes for you or your kids. Write something or draw or paint or play music. Get organized. Read good books. Once the kids go to sleep, you can do any of these things, or if you're so tired you just want to veg out, there's Imamother, and then go to bed. Very Happy

TV is really not good for a frum person, but it is definitely addicting (speaking as someone who watched way too much before becoming frum). I think it's going to be a real nisayon for many people the more TV and internet merge into one and you can watch anything you want on the computer...

But at LEAST you can get the actual boob tube out of your house and find OTHER things to do when you're bored, besides filling your mind with, well, you don't need me to tell you what TV really is, do you?

madys

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 8:51 am
to the amother above - thanks very good ideas - I will def. try some of them! Especially the one about organizing photos!

And to the others that suggested tivo - I've been thinking about it, but came to the conclusion that it would just make my TV watching addiction worse, so thanks anyway!

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 9:42 am
madys don't feel bad ... the reality is that at the end of everyday a mom really needs to relax ... so I say if the others don't get it chill ... it's way cheaper than therapy - and believe it or not you will survive yom tov - they always have a clip to catch you up ... and reruns during off season ... you will be okay ...

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 9:44 am
Madys - I'm so glad you took my post in the positive spirit in which it was intended. I was hoping you would not take offense in any way.

Good luck finding other evening activities! Maybe you will eventually take the TV out of your house completely, which will make it MUCH easier to resist....... I have never been as productive (or happy) as I've been since getting rid of TV about 15 years ago!! There is real life to live, and it's much more satisfying.

An easy and meaningful fast to all.........

madys

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 12:41 pm
I think everything is OK in mederation - I really don't watch a HUGE amount of TV, and I really don't see taking it out of my life entirely.

There are a couple of shows that I'm really into (my husband too), and it's just frustrating, after waitng all summer to continue the story, and then to find out that the first episode is on Yom Tov.

It's like reading a good book, getting to a good part, and never findong out the ending.

I guess we will be watching the shows on line after all.

Thanks to all - and have an easy fast!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 1:19 am
where can I watch desperate housewives season one and two?
I know season three is on abc.com
thanks

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 1:30 am
greenfire wrote:
madys don't feel bad ... the reality is that at the end of everyday a mom really needs to relax ... so I say if the others don't get it chill ... it's way cheaper than therapy - and believe it or not you will survive yom tov - they always have a clip to catch you up ... and reruns during off season ... you will be okay ...

I'm the amother who gave the suggestions... which were apparently appreciated. I definitely agree that moms need to relax at the end of the day. I just think there are alternatives to TV for relaxation. Personally, I would like to look back on my mothering years and feel that I did more than make it through the day and then collapse in front of the TV, then repeat the next day... It feels good to do something a little more satisfying (even talking and helping each other on Imamother) to end the day, and sometimes you can really accomplish a lot and go to bed feeling really GOOD!

I'm not telling anyone else what to do - just offering an alternative. I am very, very happy to not have a TV in my house, both for myself and for the sake of my kids. I also think it's gotta be easier to keep kids "on track" without the competition of the (untznius) TV personalities and lifestyles, etc...

Just my opinion!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 1:53 am
I was addicted to the TV, and then to TIVO for a long time, so I know how you feel. I got rid of my TV about a year ago. Although it was the best thing for me I still get bored and miss it . shock

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 2:43 am
amother wrote:
greenfire wrote:

I'm the amother who gave the suggestions... which were apparently appreciated. I definitely agree that moms need to relax at the end of the day. I just think there are alternatives to TV for relaxation. Personally, I would like to look back on my mothering years and feel that I did more than make it through the day and then collapse in front of the TV, then repeat the next day... It feels good to do something a little more satisfying (even talking and helping each other on Imamother) to end the day, and sometimes you can really accomplish a lot and go to bed feeling really GOOD!

I'm not telling anyone else what to do - just offering an alternative. I am very, very happy to not have a TV in my house, both for myself and for the sake of my kids. I also think it's gotta be easier to keep kids "on track" without the competition of the (untznius) TV personalities and lifestyles, etc...

Just my opinion!!

hey my answer is MY opinion ... and yours is yours ...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 2:59 am
amother wrote:
I was addicted to the TV, and then to TIVO for a long time, so I know how you feel. I got rid of my TV about a year ago. Although it was the best thing for me I still get bored and miss it . shock

Well, I say kol hakavod!! It takes a while to get past the "missing TV" feeling - even a year isn't really enough. But soon you'll start to realize how much more you are accomplishing in a day and how good it feels to not have TV streaming into your brain...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 3:30 am
Listen Edna, old Fred said to his wife. "Promise me that if I ever become dependent on a machine, you'll pull the plug. I just don't want to live that way."
" Okay." So saying, she got up, walked across the room...and unplugged the TV!!!
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 6:01 am
Quote:
TV is really not good for a frum person, but it is definitely addicting (speaking as someone who watched way too much before becoming frum). I think it's going to be a real nisayon for many people the more TV and internet merge into one and you can watch anything you want on the computer...

talk about that imo, I used to be a tv addict as a girl but then stopped. well now with the computer at home I can get really addicted to movies and even more to imamother!!!!

btw dh watches the news now on the internet. so who needs a tv?? it's all on the internet??

funny though I still miss some of my favourite programes but can see them online.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics