Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Need good soup bowls for Shabbos

artsy

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 12:06 pm
Anyone know what size in ounces would be significant enough to serve soup and cholent on Shabbos without being skimpy?
Amazon has different sizes of Corelle or open to other suggestions.
I don't know what a normal size is maybe 12 or 14 oz?
But I think I need at least 18, not sure.
It is hard to tell online.
Anyone have a good soup bowl to recommend.
I don't want it to be so big it looks ridiculous so looking for specific recommenation of size and/or bowl that is bigger than traditional size because they don't hold enough when you want to make the soup or cholent a mainstay.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 12:32 pm
artsy wrote:
Anyone know what size in ounces would be significant enough to serve soup and cholent on Shabbos without being skimpy?
Amazon has different sizes of Corelle or open to other suggestions.
I don't know what a normal size is maybe 12 or 14 oz?
But I think I need at least 18, not sure.
It is hard to tell online.
Anyone have a good soup bowl to recommend.
I don't want it to be so big it looks ridiculous so looking for specific recommenation of size and/or bowl that is bigger than traditional size because they don't hold enough when you want to make the soup or cholent a mainstay.

The standard plastic bowls are 12 oz and hold a good size portion. Some china bowls hold a bit less. I like big bowls but if you're not looking for a really big bowl don't go higher than 14 oz. Those nice large soup bowls are 20 oz.

enneamom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 12:48 pm
Amazing Savings has nice glass ones

artsy

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The standard plastic bowls are 12 oz and hold a good size portion. Some china bowls hold a bit less. I like big bowls but if you're not looking for a really big bowl don't go higher than 14 oz. Those nice large soup bowls are 20 oz.

Nice large soup bowls that are 20 oz.?
Meaning they are intended as soup bowls?
Do you think they would look too large?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 2:18 pm
artsy wrote:
Nice large soup bowls that are 20 oz.?
Meaning they are intended as soup bowls?
Do you think they would look too large?

You know the ones you serve stew in or a full soup meal in a bowl? Those are usually around 20 oz.
They are too large for standard soup bowl, which is why I suggested 12 oz and not larger than 14.
I only mentioned the 20 oz bowls as a frame of reference, too show that they're too large for soup bowls.
Some China sets comes with 10 oz bowls but they are too small for a nice portion of chicken soup.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 2:53 pm
I see that you DO want bigger bowls! I misunderstood.

Did you ever purchase these clear plastic bowls? Picture shown here. If you're familiar with them this will help you figure out the size you want. The standard size is 12 oz and their larger size is 20 oz.

https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/m/000000/r/29057/he/Brooklyn/kosher-household/kosher-paper-plastic-goods/kosher-plates/kitchen-collect-clear-plastc-bowls-12-oz-40-ct

artsy

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 4:05 pm
Yes I do want bigger bowls!
K-Thanks

penguin

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 4:50 pm
Some nice ones here.

Though some I've gotten are very shallow, so while they might theoretically hold 24 oz, you can't fill them too much.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 5:00 pm
20 ounce bowls are great in that case.
We have a few of these for small serving bowls and sometimes I'll use them as individual bowls to serve stew in or meatball soup.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....pd_t2
I wouldn't buy these as individual bowls but I would buy this size as the size is very versatile. This one has a small base but it's very deep and actually holds a lot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics