Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving, telling the truth

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:41 pm
I am moving away. My landlord is blaming me that she can't find a tenent. I am not saying anything bad about the apartment when people come to see it except when they ask me specific questions then I answer it truthfully. She wants me to start lying when people ask me the questions that the true answer may cause them to not like the apartment. I am MAD. I really try hard to show the apartment in a good light but if they ask specific questions then I like to answer truthfully. I am really in the mood in telling her that I refuse to allow any more people to enter my apartment to look at it until after I move out, after all I am paying full rent. I know that it's not right but I am so mad that I try to make the apartment look good and she is blaming me that she can't rent it. I know it's not my business but I asked many people for the going rate of my size apartment and they all told me that the price that she is asking for this apartment is overpriced.

crust

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:46 pm
Drop the madness about the price she is asking for the apt because you have no control over it.
The one thing you do have control over is to be clear in Halacha; what are you allowed to say and what not?
You are not allowed to go around telling people the problems with your apt but I am not sure you are allowed to lie to potential renters.
Maybe it's not your responsibility to make them aware of problems but maybe it is?

Hatzlacha!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:52 pm
Why burn bridges with your (old) landlord?
If the prospective tenants ask any questions just say feel free to look around but any questions should be directed to the landlord.

leah233

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
I am moving away. My landlord is blaming me that she can't find a tenent. I am not saying anything bad about the apartment when people come to see it except when they ask me specific questions then I answer it truthfully. She wants me to start lying when people ask me the questions that the true answer may cause them to not like the apartment. I am MAD. I really try hard to show the apartment in a good light but if they ask specific questions then I like to answer truthfully. I am really in the mood in telling her that I refuse to allow any more people to enter my apartment to look at it until after I move out, after all I am paying full rent. I know that it's not right but I am so mad that I try to make the apartment look good and she is blaming me that she can't rent it. I know it's not my business but I asked many people for the going rate of my size apartment and they all told me that the price that she is asking for this apartment is overpriced.

I can't imagine there is any hetter to lie if asked a specific question about the apartment.

However you don't seem to be on good terms with your landlord. Make sure not to say anything out of spite.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:55 pm
Oy OP, that sounds rough! You're paying me than you think you should be, there are issues with the apartment, people in your personal space and a landlord asking you to lie. Not fun!

Responding to-

crust wrote:
Drop the madness about the price she is asking for the apt because you have no control over it.
The one thing you do have control over is to be clear in Halacha; what are you allowed to say and what not?
You are not allowed to go around telling people the problems with your apt but I am not sure you are allowed to lie to potential renters.
Maybe it's not your responsibility to make them aware of problems but maybe it is?

Hatzlacha!

L'halacha your lying would be considered lifnei iver, and if the landlord lies to rent the apartment the whole transaction is a mekach taus. You should answer questions truthfully or say "I'm not able to answer that", which will imply the negative but not say it straight out.

Hatzlacha with your move!

esuss

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 2:00 pm
Why are you being asked to show the apt. I was in similar position. Either the landlady would show the apt or I would open door and let them walk around themselves and make myself busy so little interaction.
You could do this or tell landlord to wait to show apt after you leave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating