Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Spiders in Wig

EM

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:39 am
Hi!
A little gross I know, but does someone with experience know how to deal with this? A few months ago I found tiny little spiders on my wig. I thought it was just a fluke, brushed it out, washed it but this morning found the exact same thing. It has been professionally washed since then.

I can't really afford to just throw out a wig for no reason, but does this wig need to be thrown out? Is anyone out there an experienced sheitel macher or has had this and can advise?

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 10:52 am
Where is the wig being kept? Does the shelf have spiders?

Are you sure it's spiders? Can it be lice?

Hug It sounds awful!

EM

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:03 am
It's on my dresser - no other spiders anywhere!

I also thought lice, but definitely spiders - there was a web involved Sad

ra_mom wrote:
Where is the wig being kept? Does the shelf have spiders?

Are you sure it's spiders? Can it be lice?

Hug It sounds awful!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 11:55 am
Could the web be dust or a spider coming to trap/eat the lice?

From webMD:
https://www.webmd.com/skin-pro.....-lice

"Adult lice are about 2 to 3 millimeters long, about the size of a sesame seed. They’re tan or grayish-white. The color can be lighter or darker, depending on the shade of your hair. Adult lice have six legs with claws at the end that allow them to latch tightly to your hair."

EM

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 12:01 pm
Thanks! I lived in Israel with kids for quite a while, so definitely know what lice look like!

There were tons of spiders crawling all over...when I tried to shake it out the hung down on threads..

AAAhHHH Im so grossed out. Wearing tichels for the rest of my life. ok fine bli neder.

ra_mom wrote:
Could the web be dust or a spider coming to trap/eat the lice?

From webMD:
https://www.webmd.com/skin-pro.....-lice

"Adult lice are about 2 to 3 millimeters long, about the size of a sesame seed. They’re tan or grayish-white. The color can be lighter or darker, depending on the shade of your hair. Adult lice have six legs with claws at the end that allow them to latch tightly to your hair."

esther11

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:38 pm
Maybe try to seal it in a ziplock in the freezer for 36 hours to kill anything living there, then comb and wash it out?
Good luck, this sounds so unpleasant!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 1:46 pm
esther11 wrote:
Maybe try to seal it in a ziplock in the freezer for 36 hours to kill anything living there, then comb and wash it out?
Good luck, this sounds so unpleasant!

This but probably do a comb through with nits comb first in case they've laid eggs.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 3:39 pm
BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!

Seriously, it's the only way to be sure.

Thanks, nighmares for life now. shock shock shock shock shock

justcallmeima

Post Wed, Jul 04 2018, 7:06 pm
The freezer thing makes sense. It kills lice and nits so, it should kill spiders and any eggs they may have laid. This is real dedication to the mitzvah. I think your dh should reward you with a gorgeous custom sheitel of your choice just for putting up with this. I found it hard to read, I can't imagine what YOU have gone through!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels