Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Help! Need 4g basic phone with qwerty keyboard! 3g won't wor

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 5:17 pm
My son has a basic phone for school, but now Verizon said that after December only 4G phones will work. Major problem is that their basic phones don't have a keyboard so you have to text the old fashioned way which makes it impossible to keep up with a conversation! Also, beware, if you switch service off a current 3G phone you won't be able to switch back on! If anyone knows of a 4G/non CDMA basic phone with a texting keyboard, please let me know, I would really appreciate any ideas!!!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 5:52 pm
I'm in the same boat. I have to get a 4G phone with a QWERTY keyboard for my mom. She's having problems using her fingers, and can't swipe on a smartphone at all. She needs that QWERTY keyboard. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 6:05 pm
Blackberries have qwerty keyboards, but I don't know about 3G/4G.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 7:43 pm
[quote="kiwi strawberry"]Blackberries have qwerty keyboards, but I don't know about 3G/4G.[/quote
Thanks, but no way yeshiva would allow a blackberry!!! My son needs a basic phone, not a smartphone.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:12 pm
Are you sure the phone won't work at all? 3G and 4G are about data speeds, so I would understand that data may not work. Can you clarify that basic talk and text will also be affected?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
Are you sure the phone won't work at all? 3G and 4G are about data speeds, so I would understand that data may not work. Can you clarify that basic talk and text will also be affected?

I spoke to Verizon & they said that they're working on 5G now, & that their network will no longer support CDMA/ 3G phones-ie they won't work. Even if they're not smart phones, most phones have some level of G. It seems prepaid plans may still work but I'm not sure for how long. I think it will be a major problem for a lot of yeshiva boys

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:46 pm
Ha. I'm not worried about my mother having a smart phone and what trouble she'll get into with it; I just am not interested in spending a few hundred on a BlackBerry. But I think I'll have to. BlackBerries are great, and I'm sure she'll enjoy it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 8:53 pm
A quick Google turned up the following: https://www.prepaidphonenews.c......html

IOW they will stop ACTIVATING new 3G phones now, but existing phones should still work until the end of 2019.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 9:03 pm
[quote="amother"]A quick Google turned up the following: https://www.prepaidphonenews.c......html

IOW they will stop ACTIVATING new 3G phones now, but existing phones should still work until the end of 2019.[/quote
Is that only for prepaid? Verizon customer service told me through this December for my son's phone, his is on a regular plan

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 05 2018, 9:33 pm
I would call again and clarify whether it is December 2018 or December 2019.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 1:58 pm
Bump, what are people doing about this problem? I am looking for a basic phone and basic phone plan that will work past january, just need basic talk and text.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 9:40 pm
I bought a used BlackBerry for about $60 and went to TAG. It has absolutely no internet/email capabilities. It can talk, text, and has the basic apps- camera, calendar, etc. I also kept an app that lets me create word or excel style documents, although I can't send them to a computer or other device.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 11:22 pm
They just don't make slider phones anymore. The Verizon rep I spoke to said other companies will be stopping as well, something about production lines in Asia. I have gotten used to T9, or whatever it is called, and can type fairly quickly, just annoying for Jewish/Hebrew words.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics