Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Urgent: Challah dough out of freezer for 10.5 hours?

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 7:39 am
Large Ziploc bags containing full batch of dough, frozen solid at 9pm so I took it out planning to put it in the fridge to shape in the morning. But I fell asleep in between. Woke up a little while ago, bags were full of air which I released, and were room temperature which seems average, neither cool nor warm at all.

Is it safe to use this dough?

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 8:02 am
Yes!
Unless it has a bad smell...
Most of the time it was defrosting- only after defrosted did it begin to rise. I sometimes rise my challah dough for 4 hours.... occasionally even longer
Sounds like in an hour from now you can shape and bake!

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 8:06 am
Should be okay, I think. The dough contains yeast, doesn't it? The fermentation should keep bad bacteria away. And it gets baked and not eaten raw. Maybe smell it. If it smells like a healthy live yeast dough, go ahead. If it smells "off", toss.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 9:31 am
When I opened the bag the released air had a very sharp smell like from the yeast alcohol. Don't know what that means for the dough itself. I'm just concerned about the raw eggs.

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 10:15 am
An alcoholic smell is okay, yeast produces small amounts of alcohol as it ferments. Regarding the eggs - if you bake the challot well until they are really done through, that should kill all germs, including Salmonella. Just don't taste the dough before that and bake 'em well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads