Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
My challot seem to be "cursed". Why?

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 8:21 am
A word ahead, I'm not superstitious, don't believe in the ayin hara and I am not the OP of the stolen wine thread.
I don't think my challot are literally cursed. I've been baking successfully for more than 10 years. But for the last 7 or 8 weeks, almost every Friday/ Shabbat something has been going wrong with my Challot. A few times they got invaded by ants despite my attempts to store them safely. Another time, my toddler touched them with uh, diaper fingers. Another time, a huge chunk was mysteriously missing from one Challah despite the fact that it was stored safely on top of the bedroom wardrobe. Today, I noticed that the dough didn't rise properly. Eventually, I found that I had put in whole wheat semolina instead of whole wheat flour.
Why is that happening to me? Is there any deeper spiritual meaning? Is Hashem trying to tell me something? Or should I just review my baking and storage practices?

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 8:35 am
Clear sign you need to work on your tznius.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 8:42 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Clear sign you need to work on your tznius.

I hope you're being facetious.

Coffee Addict

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 10:20 am
ra_mom wrote:

I’m pretty sure she is!

rgr

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 10:26 am
I'm sure she was facetious, as she used her screen name.

OP I'd take a vacation for a few weeks and buy store bought challos. I don't know if that's an option for you.

Metukah

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 11:04 am
Yup that's a sign; telling you to make sure you put your Challah in a safe place (I find the freezer the best option; I freeze them Friday morning and rebake for 15 minutes, 30 minutes before shabbos) and also to make sure to use flour rather than semolina.

See I'm a mekubal (mekubaless), with prophetic powers.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 11:12 am
Metukah wrote:
Yup that's a sign; telling you to make sure you put your Challah in a safe place (I find the freezer the best option; I freeze them Friday morning and rebake for 15 minutes, 30 minutes before shabbos) and also to make sure to use flour rather than semolina.

See I'm a mekubal (mekubaless), with prophetic powers.

OP, we are here for you! I'm sorry you have so much frustration!

But, I agree with the above. Store in the freezer. For Friday night, I take my challah straight from the freezer and throw in the hot ( but off) oven right before I light. They are warm and yummy when we need them. For lunch, take them out and put on your crock pot in the morning. They are solid, not liquid so its fine.

Say lichavod shabbos kodesh. Wishing you many delicious challos eaten bsimcha!!

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 11:14 am
ra_mom wrote:

No doubt she is!! Maybe op's purse is too long? I think I just made up the tznius chumra of the decade!

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 12:06 pm
What did you do when your challah became inedible?

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 12:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Yes, of course I’m joking. No harm intended!

OP, it is really interesting that something has happened to your challah these past few weeks. Apart from all the practical hishtadlus you could do to store it better etc, I would ask you what does this situation mean to you? Any personal messages that you come up with will probably be more meaningful than what we suggest.

But since you did ask, here are my immediate associations with challah (and don’t worry, tznius isn’t one of them!). Perhaps one will be relevant to you:

Sustenance, nutrition, Shabbos, comfort, being a partner in creation - making something useful from the world’s raw materials, realizing Hashem is behind everything even though it “looks” like we created something by ourselves, elevating the physical to holiness, marital relations (Pharoah says to Yosef, “I’ve given you everything apart from the bread of my house”, referring to his wife), war and conquering (“lechem” is related to the word “milchama” and in a war the winning side “eats” or devours the losing side in a sense), chametz and ego, the yetzer hara is associated with the yeast in the dough.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 06 2018, 2:47 pm
For practical problems seek practical solutions and assume practical causes. My guess would be you’ve been under a deal of stress of some sort—stress can be from good things, too—and you’re either rushed or trying to do too much at once. Take a chill pill, call an exterminator, devise more secure storage for your un/ baked goods and practice greater mindfulness while baking. Or in less fancy language, pay attention to what you’re doing and don’t work on autopilot.

Or do a cheshbon hanefesh and take on some new chumrah if that floats your boat. Just realize it may not help your challah one iota.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads