Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Running a 5k without paying
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:10 am
Ruchel, you are not paying to run. You are paying to participate in a timed race. Most people who do this train (for free) by running beforehand on their own.

The one I did had portaloos, a gift bag, medals, roads were closed. Lots of money goes into this event.

I'm sure the tour de france has an entry fee.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:16 am
Gift bag and medals? medals are for the winners.
Tour de France is professional, world known. Can't believe some people would be that cocky to compare themselves to these people LOL.

creditcards

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:16 am
mommyof6 wrote:
Yes. It's stealing. Just like all other forms of stealing. Why should you pay. Because those are the rules. Just because you want to run doesn't give you the right to do it without paying.

IYamWhoIYam wrote:
They'll probably ask her to get off the marathon route if they see her without a bib.

Where are they running? On a road that belongs to them? If the road belongs to them then maybe...
Usually places block off public roads so can't imagine how it would be stealing...

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:31 am
creditcards wrote:
Where are they running? On a road that belongs to them? If the road belongs to them then maybe...
Usually places block off public roads so can't imagine how it would be stealing...

Well, then the OP can run on that same road the day before, or the day after. Why does she need to run on that particular day, when an organization paid to have the streets closed. For hydration stations. For medical stations. For safety officials. For food. And for a whole bunch of things that I've no clue about, because I'm not a runner.

By your way of thinking, there's nothing wrong with sneaking into movie theaters, plays or concerts. They're performing anyway. Jumping the subway turnstile. The train runs with or without you. Not paying for school. The teacher is up there if there are 25 kids, or 26. And if the lettuce is starting to wilt, or the chicken is near its sell by date, just take it. They're going to throw it out anyway, so why pay.

BTW, for Ruchel, here are some races in Paris, if you'd like to participate in one.

https://www.parisrunningtour.com/races/

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:31 am
I think this is going off track a bit.

Suffice it to say that in America, there are organized races for people who want to participate in a communal athletic event. Depending on the event people often get some kind of keepsake which can range for a Certificate of Participation from the New York Marathon to a t-shirt for the Turkey Trot which was a local event in my area on Thanksgiving which had a nominal charge.

I have given money to support those who are participating in various events including a co-worker who participated in a three day breast cancer event. The ones I have given money to were solely for the support of the organization and I am not aware of money going to help send the athlete to a distant location.

Running, jogging or walking is a FREE activity. You can find running, walking and jogging trails or plot your own route. No cost. People enter events which they pay for because the participation is something special. Years and years ago my father ran the New York City Marathon with two of my cousins. It was a continuing source of pride and joy and he displayed his Certificate of Participation with his timing as well as.a picture of him on the course. It certainly would NOT have been the same thing for him to decide to run the route of the marathon on a different day.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:35 am
Amarante wrote:
I think this is going off track a bit.

Suffice it to say that in America, there are organized races for people who want to participate in a communal athletic event. Depending on the event people often get some kind of keepsake which can range for a Certificate of Participation from the New York Marathon to a t-shirt for the Turkey Trot which was a local event in my area on Thanksgiving which had a nominal charge.

I have given money to support those who are participating in various events including a co-worker who participated in a three day breast cancer event. The ones I have given money to were solely for the support of the organization and I am not aware of money going to help send the athlete to a distant location.

Running, jogging or walking is a FREE activity. You can find running, walking and jogging trails or plot your own route. No cost. People enter events which they pay for because the participation is something special. Years and years ago my father ran the New York City Marathon with two of my cousins. It was a continuing source of pride and joy and he displayed his Certificate of Participation with his timing as well as.a picture of him on the course. It certainly would NOT have been the same thing for him to decide to run the route of the marathon on a different day.

Just want to say how impressed I am that your dad ran the NY Marathon.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:41 am
creditcards wrote:

When a public street is closed for an event, it is no longer open to the public. They organization has paid money and received a permit to close the road. Depending on the route, they often have to pay for people to patrol the cross streets to regulate cars.

I am not understanding the logic at all at trying to justify participating in an event for which there is a charge. If you don't want to pay, don't participate it but don't attempt to rationalize it by claiming that there is no reason for the charge or that you are a special snowflake that for some reason has justification not to pay the same as everyone else.

There are lots of events that take place in public venues which charge money for the specific event because a group has received permission to hold the event and paid whatever charges are necessary to make the venue exclusive.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:44 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Just want to say how impressed I am that your dad ran the NY Marathon.

I give him lots of credit because he started jogging in middle age and although he was never good at it, he kept doing it for many many years and then slowed down to a walking regimen.

creditcards

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:44 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Well, then the OP can run on that same road the day before, or the day after. Why does she need to run on that particular day, when an organization paid to have the streets closed. For hydration stations. For medical stations. For safety officials. For food. And for a whole bunch of things that I've no clue about, because I'm not a runner.

By your way of thinking, there's nothing wrong with sneaking into movie theaters, plays or concerts. They're performing anyway. Jumping the subway turnstile. The train runs with or without you. Not paying for school. The teacher is up there if there are 25 kids, or 26. And if the lettuce is starting to wilt, or the chicken is near its sell by date, just take it. They're going to throw it out anyway, so why pay.

BTW, for Ruchel, here are some races in Paris, if you'd like to participate in one.

https://www.parisrunningtour.com/races/

They are doing it to raise money. OP is paying to have her child run. She is there just to make it more exciting for her child. The organization is doing many things to make it exciting for the runners. Why should they mind if she is there to support her child.

Besides for that, a theater is privately owned, a school is privately owned. A public road is not privately owned. Why would it be stealing if she runs there.
Let's say someone makes a program in a hotel and organizes a minyan for people coming to the hotel. If a different person decides to book a room in that same hotel the same time, can he participate in the minyan provided for the program that's there anyway?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:49 am
creditcards wrote:
They are doing it to raise money. OP is paying to have her child run. She is there just to make it more exciting for her child. The organization is doing many things to make it exciting for the runners. Why should they mind if she is there to support her child.

Besides for that, a theater is privately owned, a school is privately owned. A public road is not privately owned. Why would it be stealing if she runs there.
Let's say someone makes a program in a hotel and organizes a minyan for people coming to the hotel. If a different person decides to book a room in that same hotel the same time, can he participate in the minyan provided for the program that's there anyway?

Because the way that bystanders do it is to tell the runner they will be at X spot and then cheer wildly. And they plan something special.

If they want to run with someone to participate, they pay for the entrance fee.

When a route on public streets is permitted, it is no longer PUBLIC for the period of time that the event occurs.

I really get flummoxed by this sense of entitlement that people use to justify greedy behavior. If everyone felt they had a right to make a race more "exciting" for a participant by running without paying, they race would be chaotic.

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 10:53 am
I've run several 5K's and 10K's, including the Jerusalem Marathon 10K. I trained for months, running in the streets of Jerusalem, and nothing can compare to running the day of the race. The energy is amazing and it's just incredible.
One of my most treasured experiences of my life.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:00 am
There's nothing wrong with asking OP. Whatever answer you get will be the correct answer, because it will come from the organization running the event, who has the right to make that decision and do whatever it wants. No need to turn this into a deep abstract debate.

shyshira

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:00 am
creditcards wrote:

The public road changes status when its been closed off for a run. In the regular course of things no one should be running in the middle of a public road - that is where the cars go. The run organizers arrange to have the road closed to cars so that the participants (who pay to do so) can run in the middle of the road (and be timed, cheered on...).

The race is for runners - and perhaps a pace bunny or two..

The minyan is an unfair comparison. Telling a Jewish person that he can't join a group of men davening is problematic - whatever the circumstances.

Races designed for children / families are a better fit for a child who needs side by side parental encouragement.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 03 2018, 11:14 am
Ruchel wrote:
Tour de France is highly professional. I can't imagine a random person paying, or getting paid, to run.

The link I posted upthread is to fees for participation in the Paris marathon. Amateurs pay too.

shanie5

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:31 am
creditcards wrote:

Actually, if someone registers for the hotel, knowing the program was there also, but wanted the minyan an not have to pay for the program, it may be considered stealing from the program organizers.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:38 am
shanie5 wrote:
Actually, if someone registers for the hotel, knowing the program was there also, but wanted the minyan an not have to pay for the program, it may be considered stealing from the program organizers.

Yes, most program organizers abhor people who do this and do not allow it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:49 am
Ruchel wrote:
Tour de France is highly professional. I can't imagine a random person paying, or getting paid, to run.

It's a tzedaka event, Rachel.

There is a modest entry fee and you have people sponsor you (they'll pledge $5 per kilometer, for example). The money you raise (minus whatever overhead is involved in getting permits to close the road, insurance for the event, etc.) goes to tzedaka.

Get it?
Here are some links to other events like this so you can see how it works:
https://www.cancerresearchuk.o.....-runs
https://www.wizathon.com/jcn5k.....=4259
https://runsignup.com/Race/SC/.....ity5k
https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org.....arity

I realize the race is probably over now, but in general, people who are not registered to run do not crash the event and participate. Think of what a mess that would be if every runner had some random friends/family crash. Plus there may be insurance/liability issues.

If you don't intend to run the entire 5k, you could, I suppose, register, and start the race and just never finish.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics