Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Road trip LA to San Fran

my80

Post Sat, Jul 07 2018, 10:43 pm
Hi there. Hubby and I are planning a vacation Nov time to LA/California for 4-5 days.

I was originally thinking of doing LA/San Diego, but then hit on the idea of doing a road trip from LA to San Francisco.

I'd love some info,
* have any of you ever done it, even in part?
* what are the kosher food options in san fran?
*what is it like visiting san fran?

thanks!

Amarante

Post Sat, Jul 07 2018, 10:50 pm
I've driven from Los Angeles to San Francisco several times.

You can either do the non-scenic route in one long day or the scenic route which takes in the breath taking scenery of Big Sur and the Pacific Coast.

It really depends on how much time you have and what you want to do and where you want to do it.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Jul 07 2018, 10:53 pm
I did this recently, but from San Fran to LA. There are a few Kosher options in SF, and more in Oakland. I liked driving down to LA on route one because going south you get to be on the side of the coast, though I'm sure there is still what to see on the other lane too. Depending on which road you take, make sure all parts are open. Parts of route one are closed.

Its really a fun trip, especially if you aren't in a rush!

pesek zman

Post Sat, Jul 07 2018, 11:24 pm
done it several times. Lots to see and do along the wa

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:03 am
The coastal route is gorgeous! The very upscale Tierra Sur At Herzog Wine Cellars restaurant is in Oxnard (that's between LA and Santa Barbara) — If I ever make another trip to LA I hope to have a meal there.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 12:11 am
We've driven most of it, as parts of 2 separate trips. In northern California, we drove along the coast as far as Hearst Castle. And when visiting southern California, we went up as far as Santa Barbara. If the entire trip is only 4-5 days, I'm not sure that I'd try to cover so much ground. Your initial plan of LA/SD makes more sense to me.

SF doesn't have a lot of kosher options; the only restaurant when we visited is called Sabra Grill and was okay, but nothing compared to LA's options. We enjoyed touring Alcatraz (make sure to buy tickets well in advance, as they sell out), driving Lombard Street, visiting Fisherman's Wharf, riding a trolley car, and seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, but there were so many other parts of California that we enjoyed much more.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 1:37 am
Kosher in San Francisco: sabra grill- Israeli meat place, frena- Israeli dairy bakery ( sambusaks, salad bar, etc), and shangrila- vegan Chinese.

Oakland only has Oakland Kosher which is a small grocery store with shwarma, not really a restaurant.

Trader Joe’s has a lot of kosher products and semifreddos bread is hekshered. Krispy Kreme is Kosher as well.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 2:51 am
We did that as a senior trip. We went to Hearst castle. Whitewater rafting. San Francisco we went to Alcatraz, Geradelli square, it’s been a while, so I’m forgetting most of it.
We spent shabbos in San Jose.
We went up the coast. The highway is one lane each way, on a cliff with tight turns. It is breathtakingly beautiful.
Pack food. It’s much easier since kosher prepared food is very limited there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics