Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hershey's chocolate syrup-milichig?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 1:12 pm
It has an oud, but is it just the equipment? I think it's the latter and I checked online, but I couldn't find anything. I can't call the ou today and I want to serve it this shabbos. Thanks!

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 05 2013, 2:50 pm
I've heard that it's dairy equipment, which means that you can eat it after eating meat, but not on meat dishes or with meat items.
I got that information from a friend I trust who only eats chalav yisrael and knows which OU products are really dairy and which ones are DE. You might want to verify that with your Rabbi, or check the ingredients list.
I once called Hershey's about it and they said that for allergy purposes they can't tell me that there's no dairy in it. (I guess they're concerned with cross contamination which is not usually an issue with basar ve'chalav taking into account the trivial amount that might be in it using dairy equipment.)

Edited to Add: This is as of 07/05/13, so if anybody is reading this thread at a later date, please verify that information so I don't go to hell longer for a mistake you might be making. Wink

yo'ma

Post Sat, Jul 06 2013, 6:43 pm
Thanks, I ended up serving it to my two oldest, but both of them said it wasn't good, so down the drain it went Sad .

cb

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 7:44 pm
I heard from the OU a few weeks ago that it is ACTUAL DAIRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not just dairy equipment.

Sugar plum

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 7:50 pm
If there is actual dairy in it, it will be listed in the ingredients as milk, casein, whey, etc.

cb

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 10:21 pm
as far as I was told, not all dairy ingredients are always listed.

cb

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 10:23 pm
contact them at kosherq@ou.org to ask

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 08 2013, 11:11 pm
why do they change a good thing ???

nestle liquid chocolate is still pareve ... not the powder

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 1:01 pm
This is an old post, nevertheless, shouldn't pasken online!
Chocolate is a unique category as often chocolate machines are cleaned with - not water which can damage future chocolate runs - but with chocolate.
A lot of o-u d is dairy equipment, but modern day kashrus is sophisticated & complex
Enjoy!
(
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen