Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Organic girl lettuce

yellow5

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:05 pm
Hi, does anyone know if the hechsher on this lettuce is reliable? It’s a big K and the letters O R C next to it. I see it in all the heimish grocery stores now but it only says triple washed, nothing about being checked for bugs. Thanks!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:09 pm
It's not checked for bugs, just triple washed. It is kosher though.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:22 pm
We have found many bugs on them. Must be checked.

babysmum

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:20 pm
They are kosher but not big free.

cookiewriter

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 9:22 pm
Organic by definition means no pesticides. No pesticides means lots of bugs! It’s a real shame that all the kosher stores sell it. I live in flatbush. I have found bugs in those boxes.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 9:25 pm
cookiewriter wrote:
Organic by definition means no pesticides. No pesticides means lots of bugs! It’s a real shame that all the kosher stores sell it. I live in flatbush. I have found bugs in those boxes.

Hydroponic lettuce grown organically doesn’t have a lot of if any bugs if greenhouse is well controlled.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:18 pm
I didn't check each piece carefully but checked a sampling of it and saw nothing but if everyone here is finding bugs, then I will check more carefully.

thanks

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:21 am
I was told it can be relied on and there is no need to check. Are all of you sure you have the right brand?

Bodek, etc also have a method of washing to remove bugs, and some products are hydroponic. It's not that each piece is hand checked.
I plan to contact them and ask. Will report back here.

yellow5

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:16 pm
thanks!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:21 pm
From the research I’ve done, the hechsher is worthless in regards to bugs. It’s certifying that lettuce is lettuce (or whatever) Not that it’s bug free. I’ve seen it in Trader Joe’s.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:22 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I didn't check each piece carefully but checked a sampling of it and saw nothing but if everyone here is finding bugs, then I will check more carefully.
there is something called a Chazaka check, which is similar to what you do. (Though not the same) CRC and star k websites explain it.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:41 pm
Used to buy it and found bugs. mashgichim in those stores told me its not reliable. Stopped buying it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions