Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Anyone here watch ''disobedience''????
Previous  1  2  3  Next

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
I can give you other surprising quotes coming from a person like him but I have no intentions of giving him any more publicity.

Frum fiction literature does not have an obsessive and almost exclusive focus on people coming to realize the truth of a frum lifestyle or the falsehood of a secular one.

Therefore I do not think it is true about most frum fiction literature.

Again, could you give me the source for this quote from Isaac Bashevis Singer.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:02 am
anon for this wrote:
Again, could you give me the source for this quote from Isaac Bashevis Singer.

As I said before, No. I'm not interested in giving him any more publicity.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:05 am
Happy to see other women want to watch it but aren't for spiritual reasons. I was interested after seeing the trailer but esp. after I read that the relations scene is super long and super explicit I decided I should refrain.

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:05 am
amother wrote:

And yet you wrote another entire post about it.

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:08 am
amother wrote:

I'm confused. Is the source for the quote the person you don't want to give more publicity to? If so, could you pm me the source? I will not write it here, but would like to know.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:09 am
anon for this wrote:
I'm confused. Is the source for the quote the person you don't want to give more publicity to? If so, could you pm me the source? I will not write it here, but would like to know.

OK I'll PM you

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
I watched just the trailer. Forget about the plot just watching the acting turned me off. No one who I know in real life talks, thinks or has the mannerisms of these actors.

That is just the acting.

As far as the plot is concerned, as Isaac Bashevis Singer put it back in the 1930s about his fellow OTD writers. "No one has any reason to read fictional stories about someone's fight with his father in law about leaving Chasidus for secularism, or why someone left a Yeshiva because secularism won him over. These stories are only written so that the author has a mouthpiece and the readers have validation"

Update that quote to movies today.

PS. IBS wrote the above as a totally neutral comment to explain why there were so many aspiring OTD writers in the 1930s yet virtually none of them were successful.

This is what the author of the book which the movie was based on said about herself. "I went into the novel religious and by the end I wasn’t. I wrote myself out of it"

As to IBS's quote: There is good segment of our community which won't read fiction that is in any way subversive. No chiddush here.

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:38 am
I can't really say whether the quote "These stories are only written so that the author has a mouthpiece and the readers have validation" applies to frum literature today, because although I read most of the works of Marcus Lehmann as a child, I've read almost no frum literature since.

But it's quite an accurate description of most Bais Yaakov plays I've seen.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 12:18 pm
I just watched it and was a little disappointed. I read the book that it's based on and they definitely changed a lot of things.
Also to those who said the s*x scene is too much, it was soft p*rn at most. There was partial nudity. I thought the s*x scene would be better than it was.
As far as it's depiction of Jewish life it was Ok but they definitely missed out the nuances of orthodox Jewish life. No one says "may you live a long life" all the time. Men and women have separate entrances to the shul. And the shul does not have a conducted like by a concert.
I also didn't like the ending. I think they could have done better than that.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
If you watch the trailer you'll see the level of aggression used is totally not a reflection of reality. It's more of a [filth] scene than a normative gay zex scene.

I haven't really seen enough of either to judge that.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:55 pm
Anyone know where I can watch this online?

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:47 pm
I dont understand the statement: "I won't watch this for spiritual reasons."
I'm frum and I saw it.

I do not feel less spiritual.
Feel free to PM if necessary.

I just would appreciate clarification.

simba

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:00 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I'm frum and I saw it.

Watching movies regardless of their nature is not done by many frum people.
Additionally, A Zex scene regardless how it's rated would definitely not qualify for the level of shemiras einayim many uphold to.
I don't like supporting movies that paint negative of frum yidden.

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:45 pm
simba wrote:
Watching movies regardless of their nature is not done by many frum people.
Additionally, A Zex scene regardless how it's rated would definitely not qualify for the level of shemiras einayim many uphold to.
I don't like supporting movies that paint negative of frum yidden.

There was no negative portrayal of frum yidden in this movie.

streak

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:58 pm
I think ppl mean aovie that explores homosexuality is not something they as Orthodox Jews feel comfortable watching.

simba

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:25 pm
Maya wrote:
There was no negative portrayal of frum yidden in this movie.

None? No underlying tones that paint frum Jews as oppressive and close minded?

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:50 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I'm frum and I saw it.

I'm original amother who said she's not watching.
I'm stopping watching movies in general because I think sitting down in front of a screen for 2 hours is not good for your health, besides all the horrible ideas and values even in children's movies.

Besides that this was a very s-xual movie and I would love to see that...I would be probably fantasizing and replaying the scenes for weeks...so yeah, not a good idea for me.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:31 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I'm frum and I saw it.

I think watching relations scenes isn't good for my (already lacking ) spirituality. Don't think if someone watches whatever they watch it makes them not frum. And each person's religiosity and spirituality is her own business. Just because I worry abt my spirituality doesn't mean I'm telling you to worry abt yours.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone know where I can watch this online?

Disobedience is now available on Amazon Prime Video.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
I just watched it and was a little disappointed. I read the book that it's based on and they definitely changed a lot of things.
Also to those who said the s*x scene is too much, it was soft p*rn at most. There was partial nudity. I thought the s*x scene would be better than it was.
As far as it's depiction of Jewish life it was Ok but they definitely missed out the nuances of orthodox Jewish life. No one says "may you live a long life" all the time. Men and women have separate entrances to the shul. And the shul does not have a conducted like by a concert.
I also didn't like the ending. I think they could have done better than that.

They did a good job portraying Jewish life. Much better than other movies I've seen.
The 2 things that left me scratching my head though was the "may you live a long life" wishes. I couldn't quite figure out where they got that from.
And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they kept talking about the hespid, and how great it would be. Though the hespid wasn't at the lavaya. It seemed to be more of a shloshim speech. So that was confusing.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics