Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Online shiurim that are open-ended - is there such a thing?
1  2  Next

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:25 pm
Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts and online audio interviews or conversations about politics or philosophy. I really enjoy the back-and-forth discussions and the intellectual honesty that is sometimes present there, where people are willing to think things over out loud and reformulate their opinions of a good counter argument is made.

This obviously contrasts with the traditional shiur format, where a teacher gives over his/her knowledge to an audience, but I’m wondering if anything similar exists online for Torah? I would love the ability to eavesdrop in on a high level hashkafic chevrusa/debate, and this sort of thing is what gets me stimulated and inspired about Torah. The idea that Torah is a living conversation with different sides to it, and it’s our avodah to seek out the truth through conversation.

Any suggestions?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:47 pm
I've heard about headlines and haven't listened yet....
It's a podcast, I think it's a back and forth/rountable discussion. The topics are REALLY interesting, I've been meaning to try it. Anyone know if this will fit OP?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:53 pm
I wouldn't listen to Headlines if you are looking to grow spiritually.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:59 pm
Hidabroot might have this sort of thing

Rappel

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:11 am
Not back and forth, but yes open ended with ample sources, so you can draw your own conclusions or disagree with a train of thought at will:

Rabbimanning.com

I merited to be taught by Rabbi Avraham Manning in seminary, and his focus and goal is to explore topics, to give you the tools, not to think for you. At one point, one of my classmates confronted him at the end of a beit midrash class and demanded that he give us final closure on an issue, after an hour and a half of dissecting it. His response: "The beauty of Judaism is not that it provides all the answers; rather, that it asks all the questions."

I hope you'll enjoy his shiurim like I do.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:30 am
What about Rabbi Nivin's chabura?

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:59 am
Rappel wrote:
Not back and forth, but yes open ended with ample sources, so you can draw your own conclusions or disagree with a train of thought at will:

Rabbimanning.com

I merited to be taught by Rabbi Avraham Manning in seminary, and his focus and goal is to explore topics, to give you the tools, not to think for you. At one point, one of my classmates confronted him at the end of a beit midrash class and demanded that he give us final closure on an issue, after an hour and a half of dissecting it. His response: "The beauty of Judaism is not that it provides all the answers; rather, that it asks all the questions."

I hope you'll enjoy his shiurim like I do.

Lol, yes! I was also taught by Rabbi Manning in seminary. He’s great, and his classes are exactly the type I love. Unfortunately, I’ve already listened to all his recorded shiurim online, as well as the rabbi he often mentions, Rabbi Belovsky - also amazing. Wish there was more...

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:04 am
finallyamommy wrote:
What about Rabbi Nivin's chabura?

I was in his chabura a few years ago - it’s really powerful and growth oriented for so many people! But not exactly what I’m looking for right now in terms of the intellectual back-and-forth conversations.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, and to everyone else who replied.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:33 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't listen to Headlines if you are looking to grow spiritually.

???

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:39 am
LovesHashem wrote:
???

They are not shiurim. More focused on showcasing all the problems in frum society. I don't want to say anything else negative, so I'll leave it at that.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 6:03 am
amother wrote:
They are not shiurim. More focused on showcasing all the problems in frum society. I don't want to say anything else negative, so I'll leave it at that.

I agree. They may be entertaining, but Torah it's not.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:27 pm
Interesting. Like I said, haven't listened to them yet, I'll take a look and see for myself.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 1:17 pm
Headlines spotlights current issues. The host interviews a broad variety of people. Sometimes he sounds a shtickel perturbed when a guest doesn't agree with him.
So it's entertaining. It's informative. And when you hear someone you know say something in b/w it can be quite Torahdik. But if you don't know the guest, research him/her to get a picture of where he/she's coming from.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:11 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Headlines spotlights current issues. The host interviews a broad variety of people. Sometimes he sounds a shtickel perturbed when a guest doesn't agree with him.
So it's entertaining. It's informative. And when you hear someone you know say something in b/w it can be quite Torahdik. But if you don't know the guest, research him/her to get a picture of where he/she's coming from.

I honestly was very bothered by the headlines podcasts I overheard. They are chock full of lashon hara and terrible hashkafos. The host seems out to prove his point every time against Torah values, hounding the people he interviews and pushing his agenda.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:55 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts and online audio interviews or conversations about politics or philosophy. I really enjoy the back-and-forth discussions and the intellectual honesty that is sometimes present there, where people are willing to think things over out loud and reformulate their opinions of a good counter argument is made.

This obviously contrasts with the traditional shiur format, where a teacher gives over his/her knowledge to an audience, but I’m wondering if anything similar exists online for Torah? I would love the ability to eavesdrop in on a high level hashkafic chevrusa/debate, and this sort of thing is what gets me stimulated and inspired about Torah. The idea that Torah is a living conversation with different sides to it, and it’s our avodah to seek out the truth through conversation.

Any suggestions?

Aleph Beta! It's called parshalab, and two people kinda bounce ideas off each other. Alephbeta.org is the website, but Parsha Lab I think can also be accessed as a podcast on its own? I don't know how to do it.

mammale

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:38 pm
11213.org Rabbi Manis Freidman and Rabbi nachman seltzer have a series of conversations on different topics.
ETA - I haven't listened to it

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:58 pm
amother wrote:
Aleph Beta! It's called parshalab, and two people kinda bounce ideas off each other. Alephbeta.org is the website, but Parsha Lab I think can also be accessed as a podcast on its own? I don't know how to do it.

Hey, that was a great idea. Thank you!

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:36 am
Following this thread.
I'm wondering about Headlines and why it would be said that it has bad hashkafos?
I have never listened but I've seen it advertised in Mishpacha repeatetly, with prominent, and respected Rabbanim and community people listed as the speakers, and it is something I want to get to.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:49 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Hey, that was a great idea. Thank you!

I know. I actually started watching AlephBeta a year ago, and I just adore that website. Their stuff on Tisha B'av is wonderful, and so perfect when you can't leave the house to go to shiurim.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:31 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Following this thread.
I'm wondering about Headlines and why it would be said that it has bad hashkafos?
I have never listened but I've seen it advertised in Mishpacha repeatetly, with prominent, and respected Rabbanim and community people listed as the speakers, and it is something I want to get to.

There's your answer. If you never listened, it sounds good from the topics and speakers. But the guy really has an agenda—NOT a good one. He tries to tear down many segments of frum society according to his own opinions, against gedolei Torah.

The respected Rabbanim listed are not really speakers, they are more being interrogated.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics