Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Hardwood floor cleanser

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:12 pm
I recently got hardwood floors, till now it was all tile. I always used a mr clean type product diluted in water.
what can I use on the hardwood floors so I don't ruin them?

thanks

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:16 pm
Do not use any wood floor product. It dulls the finish.

Take water and put in a few drops of your dish soap (I.e. Palmolive) and wash and dry immediately. That's it. My floors look like new, still shiny, and its been ages. I've never re-finished them at all.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
Do not use any wood floor product. It dulls the finish.

Take water and put in a few drops of your dish soap (I.e. Palmolive) and wash and dry immediately. That's it. My floors look like new, still shiny, and its been ages. I've never re-finished them at all.

Not OP, just curious , Do you make the floor very wet or do you wring out the rag oro first?

happymom123

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:22 pm
I use Murphy's Oil Soap, works well and smells fresh

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:39 pm
Murphys soap is very bad for modern wood finishes as it creates a film on the finish.

I use special wood products that don't build up. Bona is almost universally recommended. I spray it on lightly - you don't want wood to get wet - and then go over with a mop.

Very important to vacuum or use a dust mop often because the grit that comes in is extremely damaging to wood finishes.

Was your floor site finished or factory finished. If factory finished, I would go to the manufacturer and look at their care instructions.

If they were finished on site, ask the installer for his recommendations on what to use.

happymom123

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
Murphys soap is very bad for modern wood finishes as it creates a film on the finish.

I use special wood products that don't build up. Bona is almost universally recommended. I spray it on lightly - you don't want wood to get wet - and then go over with a mop.

Very important to vacuum or use a dust mop often because the grit that comes in is extremely damaging to wood finishes.

Was your floor site finished or factory finished. If factory finished, I would go to the manufacturer and look at their care instructions.

If they were finished on site, ask the installer for his recommendations on what to use.

Well that explains it, our wood floor is far from modern Smile. Thanks for the info, will keep in mind if they ever get redone

gumby

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:58 pm
Bruce

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 1:56 am
Water with a little bit of vinegar in it is supposed to be great

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:43 am
Floor guy told us to use bona with a bona mop - our floors are 2.5 yrs old and looks new

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 6:30 am
amother wrote:
Floor guy told us to use bona with a bona mop - our floors are 2.5 yrs old and looks new

Sounds good. I have two of those miracle mops that have the Velcro microfiber cloth can I use that with bona?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 7:45 am
amother wrote:
Sounds good. I have two of those miracle mops that have the Velcro microfiber cloth can I use that with bona?

I think so
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry