Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Vaccines

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:53 am
Do you have to pay for vaccines? Even the ones, or especially the ones that are obligated? I don't remember what I did when I lived in the states.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:54 am
If you have health insurance, it's generally a covered expense.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:56 am
I believe vaccines are given for free to everybody.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:09 am
Thanks. That's what I thought. Here it's not and they're so expensive. We have health insurance. I'm really annoyed about it because it's mandatory, but they charge you an arm and a leg. It makes absolutely no sense. My husband went to the insurance place to see about getting a rebate on it, but they said no. I have to get a vaccine for all my children and it's a 3 dosage one and each one is about $70!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:43 am
When my kids were little, I had an otherwise great insurance policy from work, that had one lousy aspect - well visits had a cap on them. IDR how much it was, but IIRC it was like $500 per year. That worked for adults, where you had like one well-visit per year and $500 covered the cost of the doctor and maybe some blood work....but for kids, that went in like the first or second visit, and I was left having to pay for subsequent visits and vaccines.

I know when I was little my parents had this as well, and they took us to a clinic for shots. I did the same - I took DD to a clinic for vaccines, because I couldn't afford to pay for them in her pediatrician's office. I called the health department and found out when the local clinic was running. I still had to pay something - it was NOT free - but the cost was negligible - maybe $1 per shot or something like that.

Some states may also have better programs. In NJ, it hasn't been the greatest - I remember at one time they no longer allowed anyone who was not on Jersey care - that is, income eligible to be on it - come to the clinic, and I paid out of pocket, to the tune of a couple of hundred $$, to have her vaccinated.

With my youngest, my health insurance got better and they covered the cost of her vaccines in the doctor's office.

So vaccines in this country are free for those who are income eligible for free shots, or perhaps in some states with better programs....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics