Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Starbucks coffee/iced coffee non kosher?

jj1236

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:47 pm
I just found out that apparently Starbucks coffee and iced coffee are no longer kosher. Then I went on the Star K Starbucks list and saw it's on the non recommended section. How could plain coffee or iced coffee not be kosher?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:50 pm
STAR-K July 2018

Please be advised that Starbucks corporation has decided to end the expanded Star-K Kosher information program.

Consumers are advised that effective immediately the STAR-K can no longer vouch for the Kashrus of items previously listed that do not bear a reliable kosher symbol. THIS INCLUDES FRAPPUCCINOS AND ALL FLAVORED DRINKS. Unflavored coffee recommendation remain the same as before.

In addition, the kosher-friendly store program is no longer under our auspices. Our webpage has been updated to reflect these changes.

Consumers who would like to see this program reinstated should contact Starbucks directly.

Customers must confirm Kashrus of additives to coffee by themselves by checking for reliable kosher symbols.

https://www.star-k.org/article.....ucks/

jj1236

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 10:57 pm
So they just can't vouch for the kashrus but I still don't understand why plain coffee isn't ok. My Rabbi once said you could technically get plain coffee from McDonalds.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:12 pm
jj1236 wrote:
So they just can't vouch for the kashrus but I still don't understand why plain coffee isn't ok. My Rabbi once said you could technically get plain coffee from McDonalds.

It is ok, and the star k website says as much. Please read it again for greater clarity.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:52 am
I once read the cold brewed coffee can sit in the pitchers for up to a week
Because the pitchers can be washed in hot water with trief utensils and the coffee sits in it for 24 or more hours it is problematic.
It could be if they serve no food it isn’t an issue.

I think plain coffee is different then iced. I also get coffee from anywhere like 7-11 or McDonald’s.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:54 am
The problem is the carafe which is stainless steel and not glass (so it is mekabel tuma) is washed together with the dishes/utensils that are used for non kosher meat sandwiches.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
I once read the cold brewed coffee can sit in the pitchers for up to a week
Because the pitchers can be washed in hot water with trief utensils and the coffee sits in it for 24 or more hours it is problematic.
It could be if they serve no food it isn’t an issue.

I think plain coffee is different then iced. I also get coffee from anywhere like 7-11 or McDonald’s.

Iced coffee is the same brewed coffee as hot coffee just with ice.
I haven't found a Starbucks over the past year that doesn't serve hot sandwiches.
If the carafe is glass there are less issues than a steel carafe such as the ones in Starbucks

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:57 am
Star k and crc have different lists. I plan to call the crc today to ask.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:59 am
Last thing.. the star k has a list of things that are ok but if you look at the top of the chart it says "when traveling or in a store that doesn't sell hot samdwiches". More and more Starbucks store now have sandwiches I haven't seen one without in the past year or so. Even the small kiosk in my mall has hot sandwiches.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:00 am
mizle10 wrote:
Iced coffee is the same brewed coffee as hot coffee just with ice.
I haven't found a Starbucks over the past year that doesn't serve hot sandwiches.
If the carafe is glass there are less issues than a steel carafe such as the ones in Starbucks

Is the iced coffee brewed on the spot or cold brewed and left in the fridge to sit. If it is the second that is the problem.
If they just brew fresh coffee and add ice it’s the same as plain coffee.
But cold brewed coffee tastes bettter and is typically how they make it.
When I make iced coffee I try to cold brew it and sit in the fridge overnight to develop the taste. It’s much less bitter that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions