Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this normal? Fear of MAGA hat on child?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Gosh oh golly. I can't seem to recall what poster accused anyone who didn't support some of Trump's tariffs of being certifiably crazy. Needing to wear a tin foil hat. I mean, who could possibly be that nasty and obnoxious?

You're confused. I was alluding to someone who believes that Russia masterminded both Trump's victory and Brexit as being rather far into conspiracy theory territory.

However, please note that I also indicated that Russia indeed attempted to "meddle" by spending money on advertising, etc. That said, I believe there is no evidence to believe that their meddling changed the course of either election.

Nothing to do with tariffs except that they might make aluminum more expensive, thus making hats harder to come by.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:27 pm
Fox wrote:
No, I actually spoke to several of your examples either with logic or evidence.

Well. we disagree on that.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:29 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Well. we disagree on that.

Okay, so respond to my examples.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:36 pm
Amazing how Trump supporters love to play victim. They should all cry into their liberal tears mugs.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:37 pm
Who knew that the bais hamikdash would be destroyed once again this year because of American politics? Pale

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:41 pm
Fox wrote:
Okay, so respond to my examples.

I have. Repeatedly. Then you pretend that I don't. Or come up with excuses and irrelevancies. "Gosh, calling a woman Pocahontas because she claims to have Native American ancestry isn't RACIST. And if she'd just take that DNA test that Trump wants to throw at her, she could help people. SHE's really the racist. Not poor Donnie!"

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
Who knew that the bais hamikdash would be destroyed once again this year because of American politics? Pale

Please stop worshipping the eigel hazahav of Trump. And please stop personalizing criticism of Trump as criticism of Jews and of everything you hold dear.

יהפכו ימים אלו לששון ולשמחה ולמועדים טובים.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:48 pm
Fox wrote:
This is the "Give me an example" and then "Well, I don't like that example." Whether you consider Amber Heard to be an influencer or not, she has 65K Twitter followers who accidentally saw her little gaffe (apparently she'd meant to send it out on a different, private account).

Do you know what an "influencer" is? And do you truly believe that Amber Heard is an influencer in the political realm?

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:51 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I have. Repeatedly. Then you pretend that I don't. Or come up with excuses and irrelevancies. "Gosh, calling a woman Pocahontas because she claims to have Native American ancestry isn't RACIST. And if she'd just take that DNA test that Trump wants to throw at her, she could help people. SHE's really the racist. Not poor Donnie!"

Pocahontas was a HEROINE! How RACIST of you to think calling someone by that name is a SLUR.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:52 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Please stop worshipping the eigel hazahav of Trump. And please stop personalizing criticism of Trump as criticism of Jews and of everything you hold dear.

יהפכו ימים אלו לששון ולשמחה ולמועדים טובים.

I don't see her claiming allegiance, much less worshipping either side.

I have seen in this thread some really hurtful remarks, and my guess is that is what she is referring to. As we know sinas chinam is what destroyed the Beis Hamikdash.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 4:57 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Seriously. I don't see that as racist. Disrespectful? Absolutely. But not racist. Unless you inherently believe that there's something wrong with Native Americans.

And while you can certainly fault Trump for disrespecting Warren, you must equally fault Warren for disrespecting tribal sovereignty by allowing employers and others to use her family stories in the place of verified membership claims. Native American tribes do not operate on "family stories." They have by-laws and sophisticated procedures for determining who is and is not allowed to claim heritage. Many, though not all, use DNA testing as part of that process.

It is one thing to pass down some story that great-great-great-grandma was Cherokee. It is quite another to allow your employer to list you or count you as "Native American" when you are not a registered member of any tribe.

Not that it particularly means anything, but Debbie “White Dove” Porreco, an actual descendant of Pocahontas, is a member of Mar-a-Lago and a Trump supporter.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:01 pm
InnerMe wrote:
I don't see her claiming allegiance, much less worshipping either side.

I have seen in this thread some really hurtful remarks, and my guess is that is what she is referring to. As we know sinas chinam is what destroyed the Beis Hamikdash.

Yes, this. I have not participated in any political discussions on imamother. It's interesting that you immediately assumed I'm a Trump supporter.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Do you know what an "influencer" is? And do you truly believe that Amber Heard is an influencer in the political realm?

It's a marketing term, and when applied to social media, it's based on interactions, not the value of content. I don't believe that Amber Heard has anything useful to say about politics, but I don't believe that Kendall Jenner has anything useful to say about lipstick, either. However, that's irrelevant to the social media reach of either one.

Charles Gross, on the other hand, has totally earned his place as an influencer when it comes to luxury handbags. Very Happy

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:27 pm
Fox wrote:
It's a marketing term, and when applied to social media, it's based on interactions, not the value of content. I don't believe that Amber Heard has anything useful to say about politics, but I don't believe that Kendall Jenner has anything useful to say about lipstick, either. However, that's irrelevant to the social media reach of either one.

Charles Gross, on the other hand, has totally earned his place as an influencer when it comes to luxury handbags. Very Happy

Are we talking about a person who has 65K twitter followers (Heard) - and comparing to someone with 27M (Jenner). The former is not an influencer.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
Are we talking about a person who has 65K twitter followers (Heard) - and comparing to someone with 27M (Jenner). The former is not an influencer.

There are also "micro-influencers" in certain areas, who have a lot fewer followers.

But "influencer" is generally someone who has built a reputation for their knowledge and expertise on a particular topic. So your average Kardashian might be an influencer for fashion. Or music. Or vacation spots. But probably not on electoral politics.

And Amber Heard? The chance of her being an influencer re politics is nil.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:37 pm
amother wrote:

An "influencer" depends entirely on the type of market, not an objective number. In certain niche markets, you can be an influencer with a few thousand followers.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to my point, which was that we have a Twitter-verified individual who has received a fair amount of publicity for her activism, if not for her acting, caught in a tweet that managed to combine racism, classism, and economic entitlement in less than 140 words. Her tone was, in fact, identical to the one Sadie identified as belonging to white citizen council members of another era, thus suggesting that perhaps it won't be the Trump supporters on whom history will frown.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:42 pm
Yup, we live in a sad country. Liberals are killing every bit of normalcy that still exists here.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
But "influencer" is generally someone who has built a reputation for their knowledge and expertise on a particular topic. So your average Kardashian might be an influencer for fashion. Or music. Or vacation spots. But probably not on electoral politics.

That's one kind of influencer, but there are others whose ethos is based on perceived authenticity, relationships, or content.

Again, whether or not Amber Heard would be considered an influencer by a marketer seeking a product placement wasn't my point -- rather, she's a public figure (verified by Twitter) who has engaged in activism at odds with what are apparently her real views on equality of people.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:47 pm
Fox wrote:
An "influencer" depends entirely on the type of market, not an objective number. In certain niche markets, you can be an influencer with a few thousand followers.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to my point, which was that we have a Twitter-verified individual who has received a fair amount of publicity for her activism, if not for her acting, caught in a tweet that managed to combine racism, classism, and economic entitlement in less than 140 words. Her tone was, in fact, identical to the one Sadie identified as belonging to white citizen council members of another era, thus suggesting that perhaps it won't be the Trump supporters on whom history will frown.

Agree. The market for people listening for political commentary is bigger than 65K. That was the point. In no arena is she an influencer. (That said - a person with 27M followers is very likely going to be an influencer in whatever market. 27M)

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, this. I have not participated in any political discussions on imamother. It's interesting that you immediately assumed I'm a Trump supporter.

Just a hunch. Only Trump supporters conflate criticism of Trump with hatred of fellow Jews.

Anyway it's not ahavas Yisroel to point fingers and accuse others of being the cause of the churban.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics