Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Selling junky car

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:17 am
Hi all, my mini van died (or at least the transmission did). Has anybody ever sold a junky/non working car in the lakewood area? Does karsforkids pay anything? Thanks

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:23 am
I don't think Kars for Kids pays, but they'll pick it up and give you a tax-deductible receipt, though you should check with your account to see whether you'll be itemizing, especially with the new tax law, because if not, the tax deduction will be worthless to you.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:26 am
doctorima wrote:
I don't think Kars for Kids pays, but they'll pick it up and give you a tax-deductible receipt, though you should check with your account to see whether you'll be itemizing, especially with the new tax law, because if not, the tax deduction will be worthless to you.

Thanks, ya, I dont itemize so its not worth.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:26 am
We recently sold our '03 Impala for parts. Didn't get much. I think the guy advertises in BP. Don't have the # - DH took care of it.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:24 pm
We are in the middle of selling an older car with over 250K miles, broken transmission, cracked windshield, bad brakes and tires, and some pretty bad dents.

A few options we have looked into:
- selling at auction - we are in Lakewood and there are people who will handle it for you. We were told we could prob get 1000 because its a popular style car. But DH was looking for more.
- Craigslist - So far we've had a lot of interest (plus lots of scams). My DH is holding out for a higher number then most are willing to pay. Currently he has 2 people interested within 200 of his asking price so we'll have to see where that goes - it sounds like one of them may end up going through. In the post DH is very upfront with issues and pictures because he doesn't want any issues down the line.
- Junk Yard - will pay you what the metal is worth.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
We are in the middle of selling an older car with over 250K miles, broken transmission, cracked windshield, bad brakes and tires, and some pretty bad dents.

A few options we have looked into:
- selling at auction - we are in Lakewood and there are people who will handle it for you. We were told we could prob get 1000 because its a popular style car. But DH was looking for more.

Can you list names/numbers or pm me?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:39 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Can you list names/numbers or pm me?

I don't remember who it was - You can try calling Sruly "the mechanic" @ Madison Ave Mechanic - I think maybe his brother does this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics