Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is this normal? Fear of MAGA hat on child?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:04 pm
Maya wrote:
Winner of the most ridiculous post on this thread.

No one, on either side, had condoned violence in any form, and especially not on a child. If you really believe that liberals would attack a child over a hat, I’m sorry to say you are seriously deluded.

The aggressive comments on this post and on many previous threads make me believe otherwise. Call me what you want ( liberals are good at name calling after all). If I were to take my child to the airport or certain places wearing a Maga hat I promise you there would be some action.... I have seen enough.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
Most definitely!
I stirred from the OP thank you for refocusing me - that’s exactly my point.

Its come to a place where common decency and goodness is no longer a unifying humane thread.
Its a sad sad state...

And as someone who moved to the United States decades ago and have watched the political changes and evolving culture- it is startling....

Nachamu nachamu Ami.

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:06 pm
flowerpower wrote:
The aggressive comments on this post and on many previous threads make me believe otherwise. Call me what you want ( liberals are good at name calling).

Liberals are agressive, liberals are name callers. Liberals are this, liberals are that.

Conservatives are all angels. We know that.

How about you try coming up with an original thought for a change?

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:07 pm
sushilover wrote:
What would it take to convince you that Trump didn't collude? Is it a deeply held belief that will not be swayed even if Mueller comes up with no credible evidence?

Well, collusion is only a fraction of what's wrong with Trump.

What would it take to convince me that Trump isn't a fraud and a con artist? Boy, that would be tough. He'd have to show his tax returns. Reveal his financial interest/dependence on Russia. Do a true divestment of his businesses. Get his kids out of government. Sell the DC Trump hotel.

I would absolutely accept Mueller's conclusions whatever they are. Would you? Or would you keep screaming that it's a partisan witch hunt as the president has been doing for months?

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:18 pm
Maya wrote:
So one story means that “liberals are aggressive.” Yes that makes total sense. Should I conclude from the countless stories about violent neo Nazis and other conservative demonstrators that all conservatives are now violent? The fringe on both sides that condones violence is so tiny that’s it’s laughable to take any examples from them.

We've already demonstrated that there are far more than one single instance of liberals being aggressive. I already mentioned David Campbell of Crown Heights, who seriously injured a man leaving a pro-Trump event at a nightclub last January. Campbell is a member of Antifa, a loose organization that a few Imamothers actually defended at one point, claiming, "anything against fascism would be a good thing."

There are, in fact, very, very few actual Neo-Nazis or KKK members in the U.S. Even their biggest events rarely draw more than a few hundred people. Last week, a group of white nationalists were thrown out of a conservative gathering by other attendees who wanted nothing to do with them. They shouldn't be regarded as harmless, but they aren't assaulting people in Manhattan, either.

And, of course, Project Veritas uncovered leftist plants instigating violence during the 2016 election, resulting in some quick firings and denunciations by DNC operatives.

As for a fringe condoning violence, it certainly feels like the fringe dangles a lot longer on the left than the right. Witness Maxine Waters' exhortation to confront Trump administration employees in public. I can't think of any Republican member of Congress telling constituents to accost Democrats to let them know they're not wanted.

I suppose the answer is going to be, "Waters didn't literally say to use violence." But given that a disaffected leftist opened fire on Republicans on a baseball field a year ago, nearly killing Rep. Scalise, "confronting" seems entirely too incendiary.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:32 pm
Sadie wrote:
Sorry snowflake, why don’t you go color in your adult coloring book and cry into your Cheerios about it.

🤯🤯🤯🤯

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:34 pm
Let's not lose sight of the seriousness of what's going on here.

Maxine Waters called for heckling of members of the government in public places.

The President of the United States calls journalists "enemies of the people" and refuses to condemn Putin, who murders his critics.

sushilover

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:10 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Maxine Waters called for heckling of members of the government in public places.

That's a straw man argument if I ever saw one. Oh us silly conservatives. Getting our panties in a twist because of sweet Auntie Maxine.
As if that's our biggest issue with the left.

Jeanette wrote:
The President of the United States calls journalists "enemies of the people" and refuses to condemn Putin, who murders his critics.

You are right. It's a dangerous game to call your critics "enemies of the people", no matter how biased you think they are. Trump is not 'the people'. I also think it is morally wrong for him not to condemn Putin. Come on, man!

That being said, did you condemn the last president when he treated the media poorly https://www.nytimes.com/2013/0......html (just one example) and was softer on Putin, albeit in a more slick and suave fashion? Trump's words are wrong and can be dangerous. But actions are still more important at the end of the day.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:17 pm
Jeanette wrote:

No, he referred to journalists who purvey "fake news" as "enemies of the people." A perfect example of this occurred today, when Leigh Ann Caldwell of NBC suggested in a tweet that Justice Kennedy had been bribed to retire. When the story was unfolded, it turned out that Trump had asked for his input on possible replacements. She then deleted her tweet and apologized -- after the story had gone viral and been featured in dozens of outlets.

The NYT and WaPo have made major retractions on various stories in the past few months, none of which get the publicity created by the original stories.

And when Jim Accosta shouts, "When will you stop referring to journalists as enemies of the people?" from across a crowded room where Trump can't possibly hear him, it becomes a joke. Everyone watching could see that Accosta was attempting to make news, not report it, thus lowering CNN's credibility even further and making it pretty clear that the good of the American people was not what Accosta was safeguarding. Although I suppose it's a bit of a moot point, since CNN is currently getting trounced in the primetime ratings by re-runs on Nick at Nite.

What is the point of condemning Putin or any other murderous tyrant? It doesn't make them go away. Will Putin say, "Oh, dear! I didn't realize that murdering my opponents, killing journalists, and annexing other countries was considered naughty. I'll stop immediately."

I couldn't care less if our President, whoever fills the office now or in the future, chastises bad global behavior. I want the President to (a) Do everything possible to make sure that bad behavior doesn't impact the U.S. and/or Israel; (b) Prepare us for situations in which that bad behavior does affect us; and (c) Do everything possible to prevent or ameliorate bad behavior even when it doesn't directly affect us.

As for Waters, here are some of her words regarding Trump administration officials:

Quote:
"The people are going to turn on them. They're going to protest. They're going to absolutely harass them until they decide that they're going to tell the President, 'No, I can't hang with you.'"

So basically she's advocated for everything just short of violence. Like I said, encouraging people to "turn on them" in an environment where legislators have been attacked just isn't responsible.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:23 pm
sushilover wrote:
You are right. It's a dangerous game to call your critics "enemies of the people", no matter how biased you think they are. Trump is not 'the people'. I also think it is morally wrong for him not to condemn Putin. Come on, man!

That being said, did you condemn the last president when he treated the media poorly https://www.nytimes.com/2013/0......html (just one example) and was softer on Putin, albeit in a more slick and suave fashion? Trump's words are wrong and can be dangerous. But actions are still more important at the end of the day.

Are you bringing me proof from the failing fake news new York Times?

So the failing NYT wrote an article critical of an Obama administration policy. That's supposed to prove... what? That nobody ever called attention to unfair practices by Obama?

I agree totally that actions speak louder than words! What are the tough actions Trump has taken on Putin?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:32 pm
Jeanette wrote:

So the failing NYT wrote an article critical of an Obama administration policy. That's supposed to prove... what? That nobody ever called attention to unfair practices by Obama?

I agree totally that actions speak louder than words! What are the tough actions Trump has taken on Putin?

He's busy being tough with the USA's true enemy, Canada. As a proud dual US/CAD citizen, I never thought it possible for our relationship to be as strained and precarious as it is today.

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:33 pm
Jeanette wrote:

He has solidified our alliance with the GCC to keep Putin from gaining further traction in Syria. While partnering with the GCC is not without some risks and downsides, I suspect it's the only good way to reduce Russia's role in the Middle East and ensure that Putin doesn't exploit the increasing unrest in Iran.

Will this work? Who knows? Not even the most rabid Trump supporter believes he can fix every ill in the world. But certainly pushing back in Syria and through the GCC is a better tactic than simply complaining to Putin.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:38 pm
Fox, I will say only that you are leaving out key parts of a still unfolding story of how Justice Kennedy was induced to retire just now and how Kavanaugh came to be chosen. But cherrypicking stories seems to be your forte.

No, tweeting out a story and then issuing a correction immediately afterwards doesn't make you an "enemy of the people." Pretty chilling that you think so. But then you're ok with a president who makes numerous patently false statements every day with nary a correction or apology. I'm starting to think it may be a deliberate strategy!

Yes there is a point in calling out bad behavior by dictators. At the very least it's a clear moral statement and demonstration of leadership. But Trump has gone much further than just staying mum. He has gone out of his way to give cover to Putin and heap praises on him.

At one point I thought you were a reasonable person who just liked to play devil's advocate. But things have taken a really disturbing turn. I don't think you realize how delusional you sound.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:39 pm
In answer to your question OP -
forget liberal or conservative.
There are humans who walk around and think that physical aggression is an appropriate response to anything that triggers them. An antisemitic person who likes Trump might take offense at a little Jewish kid wearing a MAGA hat, and a liberal person who dislikes Trump might do the same.

If you're not there to protect your child from the implications of wearing something that might trigger the kind of person who thinks it's OK to attack a child, then don't have him wear the hat.

It's too risky. We can debate why it's too risky till the cows come home. We can point fingers, and debate, and be passionate about politics. But pragmatically speaking, for whatever reason, wearing that hat could be dangerous to a little kid. So don't do it.

(All the rest is commentary)

sushilover

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:02 am
Jeanette wrote:

No. All I was doing was asking if you condemned Obama's mistreatment of the press, or is that something you reserve for Trump? (I linked to NYT because I am not interested in the squabbling it would cause if I linked to Fox News.)

Jeanette wrote:

Cruise missile attack against Syria’s Bashar al-Assad, a Russian ally, and his approval of lethal arms sales to Ukraine. Both mean much more to Putin than a verbal pat on the back.

simba

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:11 am
Just seeing how nasty and aggressive the anti-trump team is on this thread, I wouldn't want them near my kid even if he wasn't wearing a MAGA hat.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:13 am
sushilover wrote:
Cruise missile attack against Syria’s Bashar al-Assad, a Russian ally, and his approval of lethal arms sales to Ukraine. Both mean much more to Putin than a verbal pat on the back.

Oh yes, initiated by McMaster whom he has since pushed out.

Let's see what he does as "Trump unplugged" and unmoored from the axis of adults.

Fox

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:18 am
Jeanette wrote:
At one point I thought you were a reasonable person who just liked to play devil's advocate. But things have taken a really disturbing turn. I don't think you realize how delusional you sound.

Jeanette, you can insult me all you want. What's important is what you're not doing while you're criticizing me.

You're not giving specific examples, and when you are, they are often inaccurate, such as claiming that President Trump called "journalists" the "enemies of the American people" rather than "fake news."

You're not posting links to support anything you say, whether it's a fact, statistic, or support for an opinion.

You're not providing evidence for any of your assertions, such as your claim that Russia specifically enabled Trump's victory.

You're not telling anyone who and what you read to help develop your opinions -- something that I've done repeatedly and boringly (and then been accused of "obscure name-dropping" by people who apparently thought I was dreaming things up on my own and don't see the point of referencing influences).

You're not engaging in any discussion of policy, because as you've said, you don't believe anything good that Trump might do is worth having him in office. Since he is in office, all that leaves is endless fulminating about how awful he is.

And that seems to be what we always come back to -- if I can't see how awful he is, then I must be delusional . . . or whatever.

It's not necessary for anyone to like Trump. He's often very unlikable. Nor is it necessary to agree with all of his policies. If you find a President whose every action you agree with, it's probably a bad sign. But we're well into his term, and none of the awful prognostications have come to pass -- not even close. In fact, by a number of measures, things are going pretty well. So maybe I'm not the one who is delusional . . .

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:20 am
simba wrote:
Just seeing how nasty and aggressive the anti-trump team is on this thread, I wouldn't want them near my kid even if he wasn't wearing a MAGA hat.

Everyone sees what they want to see. Everyone wears blinders towards their own team.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:23 am
simba wrote:

Wow, Simba.

I may have strong opinions and I'm not shy about expressing them, but I have NEVER threatened a child or accused anyone else on this thread of doing so.

This is really a new low. You should apologize. I don't usually take internet warriors seriously but calling me a threat to children is despicable.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics