Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which job should I take?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:37 pm
We are moving in a month and I have two job offers. Both jobs are equally close to my house.

1) It is in a sized company - around 160 employees and constantly growing. I met around five people and they all seemed really nice and it seems like a really nice friendly enviroment to work in. They want 38 hours a week and they mean 38 hours a week. If Rosh Hashana falls out out smack in the middle of week like this year they expect you to make up hours. There is room for growth because its a growing company. It seems like I would enjoy the work.

2) Its a small company. There are around ten employees and it is also a growing company. I just met the boss and it seemed like he might be a difficult person to work for. This job is offering the same salary as the other job but for 35 hours a week. This job is very flexible. Working from home when your kid is sick or whatever would not be a problem. At least half the people who work for this company work remotely so the office is not such a happening place and if you have questions its not face to face talk because my immediate boss does not live local.

Which job do I choose?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:49 pm
Second

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:51 pm
Ask around and find out how difficult boss number two really is. That would be a deal breaker for me.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 2:53 pm
benefits? # of vacation days?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
benefits? # of vacation days?

fairly similiar in the benefits area. Not different enough to make that a factor of the job decision. Its more office enviroment vs job flexibility.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:15 pm
It depends on your personality. Some people are very effected by office environment and difficult people, while other people can let it slide off easily. I worked with someone difficult and was able to manage it fine but my coworker had to quit because she couldn’t deal with the attitude. You really have to know yourself here

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 5:16 pm
tichellady wrote:
It depends on your personality. Some people are very effected by office environment and difficult people, while other people can let it slide off easily. I worked with someone difficult and was able to manage it fine but my coworker had to quit because she couldn’t deal with the attitude. You really have to know yourself here

This. I agree with tichellady.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 6:45 pm
tichellady wrote:

Besides that the second office the boss seems a little difficult, the second job is a small office I didn’t go during working hours to see the “culture.” The first job is a really really nice place to work. I met around five people at the interview. It is a big happening company. The office is a whole social scene.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 7:59 pm
You sound more excited about the first option. That might be the answer.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
Besides that the second office the boss seems a little difficult, the second job is a small office I didn’t go during working hours to see the “culture.” The first job is a really really nice place to work. I met around five people at the interview. It is a big happening company. The office is a whole social scene.

Maybe you can try to go there during working hours? Or get lunch or speak with some of the employees to get a sense about what they think of working there?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:17 pm
I vote for smaller. I always found it easier to work in smaller companies. As you said there was more leniency and as a frum mother I need that leniency to manage my life without extra stress . But you know what you need for yourself so choose what suits you best.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
You sound more excited about the first option. That might be the answer.

I am definitely more excited about the office environment of the first one. However I think I am going to go with the second one because bottom line is a flexible schedule is priceless for a mom with kids especially when dh is not flexible.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:54 pm
Second!
I quit a job that is like what your explained as the first option. Maybe it's same place:)
The place was a social scene but my position BH was serious and work. When I originally came it seemed nice and welcoming but as time went on the couldn't keep up. Getting fast and no time to properly upkeep each department. I had a great time but it was time to move on to something more stable

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:55 pm
I would say first. Why? I work for a difficult boss and it is stressing me out. While the second option may be flexible whichis important as a mom, u also want to make sure u will not be stressed from a difficult boss. Also, working in a small office with a difficult boss is harder than working in a larger office with a difficult boss bc in a small office, he will be on top of u more since there are so few ppl to manage. But, at the same time, are u sure the second job will be flexible? Usually difficult bosses are not flexible.

You have to see whats better for u.
Hatzlaxha

agreer

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 1:15 am
I vote #2 for sure. If you have little kids, flexibility is a must. I wish I could work remotely!

Knowing your boss is difficult makes it easier. You don't - and shouldn't - take things personally because you know it's him, not you. It may take some getting used to but it's super-doable.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 5:39 am
I have 3 little kids and for me, having flexible hours at work is a real life saver. There are always things cropping up, doctor's appointments, kindergarten activities, even morning meltdowns etc. and being able to move my hours around or come a bit later just saves the day. I have turned down better paying job offers because the flexibility is so important for me.
Having said that, you have to look at your own situation in life and your own priorities.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:39 am
What specifically made you think boss 2 would be difficult to work for?

Was there anything in their personality that indicated they could reneg on their promise of flexibility? A difficult boss could make your life hell, depending on how difficult they are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics