Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is there a cheder for gifted children in Monsey?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:26 am
DS, 10, is extremely bright and self motivated. The type of kid where if I tell him to go outside and play, will say no I want to do my homework. He is a happy healthy kid otherwise and not pressured from me or dh to be this way. My concern is that in his current mainstream chassidish cheder he won't reach his full potential. Are there any other options in Monsey area for children like this where they learn on a higher level then average?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 9:55 am
Maybe the non chasidish schools are more academic, both in limidei Kodesh and limidei Chol? I would think that’s likely.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:12 am
Forget the school system and give him what he needs out of school hours.

wifenmother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:26 am
amother wrote:

Agree with this. At this age there are several after cheder masmidim programs. Some are more intellectually stimulating than others.

But keep in mind that even among the chasidish mosdos there's a difference in the level of learning from one cheder to the next. But if you're limited to your chassidus' cheder...

Last edited by wifenmother on Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:27 am
amother wrote:

Yeah but if the kid is bored the whole day it doesn't help.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:37 am
Ruchel wrote:
Yeah but if the kid is bored the whole day it doesn't help.

Not strictly true. It does help even if he is bored all day. Anyway, a) this was not the question - she asked how to help him fill his potential not how to deal with boredom in school b) no child is bored ALL day. There are lots of aspects of learning which are not academic

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:42 am
Meh. Gifted here, married to gifted, with at least some gifted kids. Just tried to help. Never mind! Have fun!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:55 am
There isn't anything, as far as I know. Monsey Jewish schools are definitely lagging behind the rest of the world in the education department. I also switched my son out to a more modern yeshiva, once he caught up there (it took him about a month) he went right back to being bored.

I got the school to work with me, and I send extra work with my son to school to do during class time. As long as he does it quietly, I found the rebbi's and teachers didn't mind. As long as he knows what's going on in class and keeps his grades up, he can do quiet work on his own. I have him teaching himself math concepts, he did a research paper, critical thinking worksheets, etc. I found all these online and printed them out. Either myself or his teacher "graded" this work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics