Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
New to sleepaway camp preparation-help

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 8:43 pm
How do I find out what to send with teen Dd?
I've never done this before & I'm panicking.
I live in north NJ , where can I go for camp t shirts & skirts that wont cost a lot? (Local stores are so expensive!)

Other than clothes & toiletries what do I need to send? Books or games for shabbos? I saw an old thread had all kinds of plastic boxes?
I'm so overwhelmed. I need to keep things simple, in budget but yet dd needs to fit in & not be missing things.

Please help!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:12 pm
Many extras are camp specific so you should ask moms who have already sent girls to your daughter's camp what to pack.

This is the first summer I've sent a child off to sleepaway camp and the extras I noticed on visiting day were plastic 3 drawer containers, collapsible chairs, lots of decorative pillows, tons of bottled water/drinks and snacks, small board/card games, and random accessories for bunk night or dressing up for specific camp activities.

tzimip

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 4:24 am
I just bought a bunch of long sleeve tshirts on abercombie and Fitch. They were around $10 each

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:08 am
What are the plastic drawers for and how big are they?
Do girls have mini iPods (instead of walkmans) or phones to call home these days? Or do they still use pay phones?
Do they bring books or games for shabbos afternoon?

Thanks for the Abercrombie idea, dd is tall & busty not sure if they will work for her.
Where do I find skirts ?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:20 am
DD's Camp List
(inherited from my sister, so might be outdated....)

Shirts (10)
Shells
Skirts (4-5)
Slips
Shabbos robe
Shabbos outfits
Pajamas (6)
Leggings
Sweaters/sweatshirts
Socks (12)
Pantyhose
Underwear
Bras (5)
Rain jacket
Hairbrush
Comb
Shabbos brush
Ponytails
Bobby pins
Headbands
Hairclips
Hair iron
Blow-dryer
Makeup Bag
Caps
Jewelry (fake)
Watch
Sneakers
Shoes (Shabbos, weekday)
Crocs
Bathrobe
Towels (4)
Bathing suit
Bathing cap
Goggles
Suntan lotion
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Washing cup
Deodorant
Cleanser
Cotton balls
Moisturizer
Shampoo
Conditioner
Liquid soap
Shower Puff
Detergent
Softener Sheets
Advil
Pads
Q – Tips
Tweezers
Nail scissors
Shavers
Shoeboxes
Net bags
Laundry bag
Lint roller
Linen
Pillow
Alarm clock
Fan
Flashlight
Camera
Batteries
Phone #s/addresses
Name labels
Envelopes
Stationary
Stamps
Pens/pencils
Siddur
Water bottles
Snapple
Nosh/snack
Money/Quarters
Pocketbook
Bag for trips

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:22 am
studying_torah wrote:
What are the plastic drawers for and how big are they?
Do girls have mini iPods (instead of walkmans) or phones to call home these days? Or do they still use pay phones?
Do they bring books or games for shabbos afternoon?

Thanks for the Abercrombie idea, dd is tall & busty not sure if they will work for her.
Where do I find skirts ?

Camp DD went to, the girls took these plastic drawer chests from walmart. There are different sizes, DD took the small size. She used them for underwear and personal items. It fit on top of shelves from the camp in front of her bed. she lined the sides with paper for privacy. Packed them at home, taped up the sides, and sent as a piece of luggage.

No phones, ipods, etc. in her camp. Find out the camp policy. DD had a calling card to call if she needed, but mostly, I called her during the camp calling hours.

Camp had enough books/games, we didn't send any.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:23 am
DD recently got some great shirts in J. Crew for like $10 each. Lots of sales these days. Skirts we always ended up in the frum stores....but look for sales there too, or discounts on past season skirts if you can.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:11 am
Do you know any families who have sent their daughters to the same camp within the last couple of years? If so, I suggest contacting them to get a better idea of what "extras" are really necessary and what most other girls have. For example, my daughter's camp does not allow the 3 drawer plastic units as there is not enough room for them in the bunkhouse. Instead, the girls bring collapsible fabric cubes, which they put on shelving units in the bunkhouse and they put clothing inside the cubes. Keeps it nice and organized.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 9:45 am
Thank u this is so helpful. I dont know other parents and I haven't gone in 25 plus years.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 9:54 am
My camp sent me a list, and rules about phones and stuff.
Didyou not get one? Strange...

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 9:54 am
I forgot to mention in my previous posts that many camps have very strict rules about technology, so please read everything the camp sends you carefully. My daughter takes an ipod, but it is not allowed to have a screen. Cell phones are absolutely prohibited. The camp has phones for the kids to use to call home with free long distance. In the past, I sent my son to a camp that had phones available, but they needed a calling card. Most camps are pretty nice about answering questions for first-time parents, so don't be shy about asking them directly.

Miri7

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:55 am
On addition to the regular camp list - definitely check in with a current camper family. You could call the camp “mom” and ask her what the girls your DDs age bring. Or find another teen or parent who’s been going a year or two.

At our camp my first year it was an end of the bed shoe bag (used to store small items). I’d never heard of such a thing but I was sure glad my DD has it when she arrived.

Each camp has its “thing”.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:56 am
Does your DD know anyone going to the camp, who has been there before, or perhaps their older sister?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:55 am
Oh my. Our lists were so much shorter, to the point, and definitely not including make up LOL camp was time for rough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children