Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Lakewood playgroup advice

shepherdess

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:40 pm
Hi!
I am looking for a 12-18 month playgroup in Lakewood - I am located New Hampshire/ Rt 88 so the closer the better.

I do have an option for someone who is taking 12 babies without any assistant. Is that normal??
Unfortunately even if it is normal it does not mean it is really functional... But do I have to just swallow this and do what I need to do? The morah is super energetic and gives the kids 100% but even if she does I can imagine at peak times things can get crazy/dangerous/neglectful.
This is my first but I really don't think I'm being overprotective... I don't know if I have another option though except for someone that lives at the other end of town!

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:44 pm
3:1 ratio at that age is ‘normal’

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:48 pm
I hope it's not normal. It's dangerous and illegal for good reason. Please don't "swallow" safety risks for your child.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:55 pm
Not only should you not use her, you should report her.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:56 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Not only should you not use her, you should report her.

You're not allowed to report a frum person. Period.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
You're not allowed to report a frum person. Period.

That is not correct.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:05 pm
Smaller babysitting groups do exist for that age (I have one:) but it’s a little late to be looking now... most people sign up around Chanukah in Lakewood Confused Sorry I know it’s not too helpful but maybe you’ll find an opening somewhere? I’m a firm believer in being comfortable with childcare.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:27 pm
Look up snow that lives in 1 of the developements off the 88 right past the ocean county park. I think they have that age. Never used them but may be another option for you.

mom of three bh

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:36 pm
Is your child 18 months already? I am located next to Todd plaza and still have slots available because I just started in the summer. And I accept up to five kids.ages 18 months to 2.4 17188128326

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
3:1 ratio at that age is ‘normal’

Ratio can be higher than that. Not sure about that age, but for infants, I think it's 4:1 as per licensing rules. But, yes, 12 toddlers is too many for one teacher!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:31 am
Since the topic of your thread is playgroup advice, here's a piece of advice (perhaps unsolicited, perhaps not:) ): When it comes to playgroups, I only sent to a group with a Morah/assistant (irrespective of the number of kids, though of course 12:1 is ridiculous). I feel that when there are two adults present, there's always someone around with the group (bathroom, anyone) and also, they are a something of a shmirah for each other to preclude any abuse.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:52 am
I agree with Chayalle and others who said 12:1 is not safe. I sent a much older child to a play group that had an 11:1 ratio and would never do that again all the more so with a baby. I really urge you to try and find a smaller group.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:57 am
Snow in Ocean point has a group that age. It's more expensive cuz 9-3:15 if you need those hours.
Also Adina Massry in waterview but probably full. takes like 6 kids

ana21m

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:02 pm
I live in Lakewood and 12 to 1 doesn't sound safe at all. I heard of 6 to 1 being normal for that age group. Who watches the kids when the morah is preparing there bottles? Who's giving 12 kids lunch at the same time? Even if it's a babysitting group where if the kids are not on the same schedule, it's just not SAFE.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:11 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Ratio can be higher than that. Not sure about that age, but for infants, I think it's 4:1 as per licensing rules. But, yes, 12 toddlers is too many for one teacher!

In NJ for home based, for that age, its 3:1.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 5:34 pm
In Israel you can have 4:1 if they are all babies, and 5:1 if at least 2 children in the group are over a year.

of course, this is for licensed. unlicensed can do whatever the market will accept...

by the way, unlicensed isn't illegal. but there is a lobby in the kneset going on right now to make a law that all daycare/babysitting must be licensed.

Woman of Valor

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:50 pm
What a foolish and dangerous statement was said above that "you are not allowed to report a frum person." And what if a frum person was planning to kill, rape, molest, or otherwise harm people?? Would you look the other way? Then you are not someone I would trust with my pet!! (I don't have a pet).

Librarian

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 8:32 pm
Sakanos nifashos

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:18 pm
I don't know details or if they have spots but you can try:
Henny Finkel in cedarwood hills 917-363-5715
Adina Massry- Waterview (x have number, sorry)
Suri Bistritz- Lakeview 954-496-4198 (I never sent for babysitting, but was amazing for 4 yr olds camp)
Miriam Friedman- Victor/ Lakeview 718-697-7042
Rochel Halton- Stamford Meadows 646-458-1369
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics