Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah with Special Needs Young Adult

aspire10

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:15 am
My husband and I have always wanted to make aliyah but our, now 26 yo relatively hi functioning autistic son made that seem like an impossible dream. And yet now I'm doing research on housing/living possibilities after "we should pass" and I am finding that the options are not simple (We are out of town and have no interest in trying to establish residency in NY or Lakewood-- neither easy nor desirable to us). I am actually hearing that services might be better for him in Israel than here. So I've started to research the possibility but I am absolutely stymied how to research it while I'm over here and not an official oleh. I have contacted AACI and one or two people so I have "some idea" of applicable agencies but really would appreciate more information/contacts to network with. What agencies would be your first contact? Do you contact them at my stage of the game (thinking of around 4 yrs till my husband could retire)? And what about the language for him; I am trying to teach him some conversational Hebrew but he really would need to be able to function with English. Any thoughts/advice/information/contacts would be really appreciated....Thank you.

grace413

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:12 am
https://www.kolzchut.org.il/en.....utism

https://www.alutfriends.org/

These links may be helpful.

Hatzlacha.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:33 am
aspire10 wrote:
My husband and I have always wanted to make aliyah but our, now 26 yo relatively hi functioning autistic son made that seem like an impossible dream. And yet now I'm doing research on housing/living possibilities after "we should pass" and I am finding that the options are not simple (We are out of town and have no interest in trying to establish residency in NY or Lakewood-- neither easy nor desirable to us). I am actually hearing that services might be better for him in Israel than here. So I've started to research the possibility but I am absolutely stymied how to research it while I'm over here and not an official oleh. I have contacted AACI and one or two people so I have "some idea" of applicable agencies but really would appreciate more information/contacts to network with. What agencies would be your first contact? Do you contact them at my stage of the game (thinking of around 4 yrs till my husband could retire)? And what about the language for him; I am trying to teach him some conversational Hebrew but he really would need to be able to function with English. Any thoughts/advice/information/contacts would be really appreciated....Thank you.

Me and my sister have ASD. The government has many benefits, they will give him money to live off of, he will be able to get schooling for free, and get reductions on everything from rent to internet bills. Bituach Leumi will find him a job, an ulpan, and everything.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 4:00 pm
Talk to nefesh bNefesh. They can probably connect you with someone who went through the process.

aspire10

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 4:17 pm
I "hear" everyone's responses but I still have concerns:

the housing link makes it sound like you have to get approved as being autistic and then get a social worker before you can get an idea of what might be available. On one hand, that obviously makes perfect sense. On the other hand, if I can't get an idea beforehand what there might be and take a look at it, it feels a lot like just jumping in the Yam Suf....maybe what's needed, but not so good for an anxious 26 year old.
Does anyone have experience with having gone through this? How many opportunities are there for housing or employment for someone with my son's background that would still allow him to be comfortable with English? I am trying to improve my fluency, but asking for fluency and comfort in a foreign language for a 26 yo autistic young man is a big concern of mine.

I think that sums up my biggest questions for now. I have tried NBN and so far all they've done is send me links; am I doing something wrong; do I need to make a file first even if I'm unsure? I am making an appt to talk with AACI but if anyone here had experience or contacts that would be great as well.

Thanks again.....

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 4:27 pm
Yes you need to be approved as disabled.
It depends on the whims of whoever is judging your case file. I was in there in 2 seconds and out the next, no questions asked. My sister had to go 4 times and she's now on a temporary disabled state and after 3 years she will need to go back and get judged again.

Did I mention that unless I told you, you would never now I suffer from ASD, meanwhile my sister, is clearly obvious, by just her presentation that she is definitely off.

The social worker will help with everything. They have plenty of places for people with ASD once you get past the red tape.

aspire10

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 4:57 pm
Dear Anonymous, I really appreciate your getting back to me. Can I ask if you made aliyah from the US or from within Israel? Is your Hebrew fluent or are you managing with special housing and jobs with your English? Thanks again for responding.

sped

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:02 pm
Try contacting Chaim V'chesed. They have a wealth of information and have been very helpful in the past.

https://chaimvchessed.com/

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 1:51 am
aspire10 wrote:
Dear Anonymous, I really appreciate your getting back to me. Can I ask if you made aliyah from the US or from within Israel? Is your Hebrew fluent or are you managing with special housing and jobs with your English? Thanks again for responding.

From the USA. I was 12 and my sister was 14. My hebrew is fluent from school more or less. I can speak conversational, understand everything, and get around perfectly, but I can't type, or read very fast, so working in English.

I haven't been in any program and neither has my sister. I'm struggling to find a job now/open a business and my sister is a photographer, so no language needed for that really. Like me she can talk and understand but no typing and reading can be slower...

Bituach Leumi paid for her course. She found jobs herself since she is good with networking, unlike me.

aspire10

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:25 am
Thank you sped for that info; I will try and get in touch with them. I also am working out an appt with AACI.

And thank you Anonymous for your responses; they too are helpful. I wish you the best of luck in your career and job searches.

MyUsername

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 6:38 pm
I second calling Chaim v'Chessed! Israel - 072-243-7733 or US - (718) 407-2448

aspire10

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 11:33 pm
Thanks, I will get in touch with them :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions