Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Pleeeeeease help me with my vacation :)
1  2  Next

STMommy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 9:05 pm
Please help me plan a 4-day trip!
-driving distance (no more than 4 hours) from NY
-hotel located within EASY drive of a guaranteed minyan 2-3 times daily
-young-kid friendly activities

I would have loved Lancaster/Hershey but I don't think there's a reliable minyan.
My kids want Sesame Place for 1 day, if we could go there early in the morning after my DH comes home from an early Shacharis and by mincha time we could be someplace with a minyan, that would be amazing. I was thinking Philly but I have no idea what to do for young kids there.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YE1

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:06 pm
you can chat or contact http://www.beentheredonethattr.....tact/ she has answers to a lot of questions

pause

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:11 pm
YE1 wrote:
you can chat or contact http://www.beentheredonethattr.....tact/ she has answers to a lot of questions

Are you the author of that blog?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 10:52 pm
The only place guaranteed with a minyan is a Jewish community. Your options are pretty limited. Maybe go to a bungalow colony or Raleigh/Chalet/Lakehouse hotel.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:26 pm
If you're going during bein ha'zmanim, Lancaster should have a reliable daily minyan. Harrisburg I believe has a year-round daily minyan if that will enable you to make the trip work. Otherwise, Baltimore and Boston both have lots of great activities for kids, along with kosher restaurants and multiple minyan options.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:40 pm
Scranton. minyan is no problem. Lots of hotels. Activities include : steamtown national historic site. Trolley museum. coal mine tour. Houdini museum. If willing to travel for 1.5 hours, theres knoebels amusement resort (amusement park which is very affordable). Triple a baseball games.

my mama

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 12:23 am
Try trippohippo.com they have really good recommendations

Pink Flamingo

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 9:50 am
shanie5 wrote:
Scranton. minyan is no problem. Lots of hotels. Activities include : steamtown national historic site. Trolley museum. coal mine tour. Houdini museum. If willing to travel for 1.5 hours, theres knoebels amusement resort (amusement park which is very affordable). Triple a baseball games.

We did this last year and it was great! We stayed in a hotel near Scranton, which worked out well for shacharis and maariv (didn't make mincha every day). We drove to the poconos every day (about 30-40 minutes). Activities included blueberry picking, hikes with waterfalls, zoo, parks and bbq's, bike riding. It was awesome!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 1:07 pm
Lancaster and Harrisburg definitely have a minyan - they each have a year round set shul that we never had a problem getting a minyan. During the summer they are even busier.

Regarding Scranton - are there any hotels that can accommodate a large family?

There are also minyanim in:
Philly
Cherry Hill
Baltimore
Silver Spring\Washington DC
Tannersville, NY\Hunter Mountain
Atlantic City

In the Poconos itself there the East Strousburg Minyan that starts after tisha b'av.

We absolutely love Knoebles and go yearly (was just there). Because you don't pay admission you don't feel bad arriving late and leaving early for davening. And you can still get a very full day there.

Hickory Run Boulder field is also in that vicinity - it is very cool. And there is a waterfall hike nearby.
Can then travel back to Scranton - or even Kingston for a minyan (need to check that theirs is reliable).

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 1:51 pm
Are there any kosher resteraunts or pizza in Scranton?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:

Kingston has a pizza shop open twice a week.

https://www.baistzviyosef.com/kosher/

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 9:58 pm
Pink Flamingo wrote:
We did this last year and it was great! We stayed in a hotel near Scranton, which worked out well for shacharis and maariv (didn't make mincha every day). We drove to the poconos every day (about 30-40 minutes). Activities included blueberry picking, hikes with waterfalls, zoo, parks and bbq's, bike riding. It was awesome!

Most of the activities I named are less than a 15 minute drive. No need to travel so far every day.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
Lancaster and Harrisburg definitely have a minyan - they each have a year round set shul that we never had a problem getting a minyan. During the summer they are even busier.

Regarding Scranton - are there any hotels that can accommodate a large family?

There are also minyanim in:
Philly
Cherry Hill
Baltimore
Silver Spring\Washington DC
Tannersville, NY\Hunter Mountain
Atlantic City

In the Poconos itself there the East Strousburg Minyan that starts after tisha b'av.

We absolutely love Knoebles and go yearly (was just there). Because you don't pay admission you don't feel bad arriving late and leaving early for davening. And you can still get a very full day there.

Hickory Run Boulder field is also in that vicinity - it is very cool. And there is a waterfall hike nearby.
Can then travel back to Scranton - or even Kingston for a minyan (need to check that theirs is reliable).

What kind of hotel are you looking for? I'm not sure what you mean by accommodating a large family. But there are many hotels here, so I'm sure at least 1 can fill your needs, if not more.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 11 2018, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:

Only the pizza place mentioned above in Kingston. But we do have Rita's ices, Krispy kreme donuts, and a kosher bakery. As well as a kosher food store.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:12 am
Following.
Any place to get kosher food in the Poconos?
Bringing along all the food is the hardest part for me.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:16 am
shanie5 wrote:
What kind of hotel are you looking for? I'm not sure what you mean by accommodating a large family. But there are many hotels here, so I'm sure at least 1 can fill your needs, if not more.

MY SIL was thinking it would be a good base for their vacation. She would be taking 6 young children. They don't mind doubling up or bringing sleeping bags - but most hotels won't allow that number - in the past with lots of searching we have found in other cities that will fit 5 - 6 and don't mind if you squeeze in more - but I wasn't able to find anything even close in my search in Scranton.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:43 am
Shabie5, what's the name of the kosher bakery?? & would you mind posting the address of Rita's & the dounut place & the kosher food store?
Thank you so much!

shanie5

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:46 pm
Bakery is called National Bakery. It's on the corner of Capouse and Poplar. The breads are pas yisroel, the cakes not. They have square pizza which is made with cholov yisroel cheese. (not pas yisroel though)

Krispy kreme 511 Moosic St, Scranton, PA 18505

Ritas 1019 S Washington Ave, Scranton, PA 18505
and 534 Scranton Carbondale Hwy, Scranton, PA 18508

Kosher food store is in the yeshiva complex. Called the Yeshiva co-op. 963 hickory street. 570-963-5699

shanie5

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 9:49 pm
There will be a kosher food fest in nay aug park, scranton from sunday july 29-thurs aug 2. So you can get a kosher meal then too.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 10:28 pm
Thank you so much shanie5!! These will definitely come in handy!
Are all donuts at Krispy Kreme kosher? If not, how do I know which are?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics