Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What's the average lifespan of a frying pan

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:06 am
Curious how often should they be replaced? I have farberwear the inside is all scratched up.
And the outside has dried oil because if I tried any harder the coating of the pot would come off-I definitely need new frying pans. But I'm also curious how long, in general so frying pans last?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:07 am
I have stainless steel and cast iron. I’ve used them since I got married 11years ago and they are going great. The cast iron just gets better. The steel is discolored, but works well.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:49 am
My stainless pans last.
Non stick pans don't last at all. Expect to replace often so don't spend a lot but buy something with better reviews.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:58 am
My cast iron pans should outlive me

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:35 am
I love my le creuset, I hope to pass them on to my children!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:36 am
pesek zman wrote:
My cast iron pans should outlive me

Agree. There's nothing like cast iron!

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:10 pm
Good heavy stainless should last forever, just about, as long as you don’t abuse it by using it as a substitute baseball bat or cleaning it with a sandblaster every week.. I wouldn’t worry about the grimy outside, though you could always use a bit of oven cleaner on it if it bothers you that much.

Flimsy stainless, otoh, will wear out if you scour it often enough, and coated ware is trash and should be banned. The only cookware I ever had to replace (except if trefed) was the nonstick kind. My uncle the clean freak managed to wear a hole through an aluminum pot, but it took over 50 years and he would often take an industrial wire brush to his cookware.

More likely to cause the demise of a frying pan is the destruction or detachment of the nonmetal handle. Sometimes you can buy a replacement handle, depends on how it’s attached.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:19 pm
I've been wondering the same, I have a non stick wok that I love but not sure when I shoudl replace it.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:40 pm
Well seasoned cast iron IS nonstick. My mother has always kept a cast iron griddle on her stove.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
I've been wondering the same, I have a non stick wok that I love but not sure when I shoudl replace it.

The minute it starts flaking off. Actually, many health authorities would say, right now, because none of those nonstick coatings is very healthy for you even when intact.

I have noticed to my great dismay that some very fine brands of cookware now make all their frying pans nonstick coated whereas they used to be normal stainless steel. Chachomim balayla, they take a product that should outlive its owner and coat it with petrochemical trash that will force the product's replacement within a few years. Well, crazy like a fox--it guarantees that the buyer will need to buy more cookware instead of passing it along to the grandchildren. Talk about environmental irresponsibility.

ETA I'm also not deceived by the charming (not) style of producing cookware with glass lids. Now even if your pots and pans last forever, the lids are bound to shatter sooner or later. Thank G-d I acquired most of my cookware back in the medieval ages when cookware came with metal lids. They may be dented and dinged but they're still in one piece despite my lamentable tendency to drop things.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 7:52 pm
Replace it with an All-clad pot. Once you have an All Clad pot-you won't need to replace it ever again.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 8:55 pm
I use these. https://www.greenpan.us/why-ceramic

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:11 pm
we just threw out many scratched up chemical ridden non stick pans-- my dh has a new found love for cast iron. (they need to be kashered, tovieled, and re-seasoned but they are the way healthier option and he loves cooking with them!) give them a try. we kasher in the self clean oven cycle as per our rav, it's pretty easy.

anon because my husband proudly promotes the cast iron to our friends

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 12:04 am
I just replaced a non stick frying pan that was a little over 6 yrs old but in all honesty I probably should have replaced it a year ago

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
Curious how often should they be replaced? I have farberwear the inside is all scratched up.
And the outside has dried oil because if I tried any harder the coating of the pot would come off-I definitely need new frying pans. But I'm also curious how long, in general so frying pans last?

How long ago did you get your pans? Farberware used to be very good, but over the years their quality got worse. Mine are over 20 years old and they're great, but my sister who got married 10 years ago aren't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics