Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby grunts all night
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:24 am
I’m going to the doctor today just to be safe.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 10:24 am
As mentioned, it can definitely be silent reflux even if baby doesn't have any other symptoms.

Also, good to look at baby's chest during these episodes and see if he's retracting while breathing. If he is, that means he's in respiratory distress. (And he still could be in distress, even if he's not retracting.)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
Grunting is a sign of respiratory distress. Pls pls pls call baby's dr now. Baby can look fine and only sign of distress could be grunting. What I've been told, having been in the situation with more then one child, is that when a baby works so hard to breathe, eventually they may give up. Pls pls call your dr. They will examine him and check his oxygen level, although it could be that it only happens when he is sleeping. But pls pls call them!

Respiratory distress can be so hard to know if in a newborn. My baby was at 80% oxygen level -- which is very dangerous -- for two days, and I only realized it when the doctor picked up the phone and called Hatzolah at a checkup....

Take it seriously. Just get him checked. Better to be safe than sorry.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:04 pm
OP YOU ARE THE MOTHER AND IF YOU FEEL YOUR BABY IS UNCOMFORTABLE THAN YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT!
what you are describing reminds me of my dd. My dd had silent reflux. She made terrible nudgy noises a lot.
Some other symptoms:
1) eating not calm. Starting and stopping and starting and stopping... eating very little very often
2) neezing a lot
3) crying and being uncomfortable
4) babies with reflux are more gassy

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:15 pm
mama24 wrote:
OP YOU ARE THE MOTHER AND IF YOU FEEL YOUR BABY IS UNCOMFORTABLE THAN YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT!
what you are describing reminds me of my dd. My dd had silent reflux. She made terrible nudgy noises a lot.
Some other symptoms:
1) eating not calm. Starting and stopping and starting and stopping... eating very little very often
2) neezing a lot
3) crying and being uncomfortable
4) babies with reflux are more gassy

Oy you just described him! How does the doctor diagnose this?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
Oy you just described him! How does the doctor diagnose this?

they know what to ask, and what tests to run as needed.

hanna2010

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 1:21 pm
My 4th child was grunting a lot, the day after she was born, while still in the hospital. I didn't know what it was or that it could be problematic. I simply asked the nurse to take her back to the nursery cuz her breathing was disturbing my rest. About an hour later they told me she was moved to the icu and that they were running chest x rays. Ultimately, they told me she wasn't breathing properly... had some sort of infection. She remained in the hospital for a week on the antibiotics, and bh was fine after.
All I know is that if you're being disturbed by your baby's breathing, it doesn't hurt to get it checked out!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:16 pm
I just took my baby to the pediatrician. Cuz she didn't stop crying. He checked her and saw right away she had reflux. I was surprised cuz she never threw up. In the beginning she was making weird noices and didn't seem comfortable but I thought it was normal, you know stomach and all... yes she wasnt eating to nicely but I was trying to figure things out. And after a few weeks it turned to crying non stop! Really crying 24/7. That's when I went to the dr he said her esophagus (I hope I'm writing this right... you know down her throat) was burned from the acid. She was such a nebach Sad don't wait till it becomes so bad. It's easy to diagnose and to treat. Good luck

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 12 2018, 2:29 pm
Op here, just came from the doctor. It’s acid reflux. Thanks everyone.

Greenbelle

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:31 am
I did not have time to read all the posts, so maybe someone said this.

PLEASE PLEASE have him checked for Oxygen saturation (should be above 95, but 97 -100 is even better)

grunting may be indicative of respiratory distress.

after eating it may be harder for him to get enough oxygen due to having a full stomach.

you do NOT need to put him on his back; that is even more difficult.

Put him on his side and use the baby blanket to make a roll behind his shoulders to support him. Pull the rest of the the blanket roll between his legs and up to his sternum and use that to support him from the front, holding him in that position.
This will allow him to burp better, to spit up and not aspirate, etc.
make sure to turn him on the other side every few hours.
(If you want to be SURE he won't roll onto his face, you can put another rolled blanket under his sheet or under his cheek and down the side of his body. Also if you have a ceiling fan, turn it on and make sure the crib is open with air circulating and don't keep him over bundled) babies need only one more layer than we do. no heavy blankets and swaddling.

Also note his chest. Is he pulling too much when he breathes in and out.
I don't mean how fast he is breathing; babies do breathe quickly. I mean is he pulling his chest muscles a lot in order to breathe?
wishing you much hatzlacha, you sound like a terrific mom!

Greenbelle

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:35 am
Oh, I see that the MD said acid reflux.
He probably told you to keep him elevated.
Sometimes they slide down and a good way to keep them up is
the receiving blanket, or baby blanket, the same way I described above.

Reflux is hard but respiratory issues are even harder... : )

tf

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 7:08 am
If it's silent reflux it'll help to have him sleep with his head raised a bit, like on a wedge or in a stroller. This helps keep the acid where it belongs, down in the stomach. It pays to try so you know what you're dealing with.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:13 am
My baby used to grunt all day, trying to make a bowel movement. The dr. Said it’s called grunting baby syndrome, where the baby didn’t figure out yet how to pass a bowel movement correctly. It took a few week till it resolved itself.

Optione

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 9:13 am
A few months ago my baby was grunting. It was from respiratory distress. My infant went to the NICU.
I'd recommend calling the doctor and asking to be seen.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics