Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o did you ever recognize yourself in a post?

rgr

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:31 pm
I always wonder when people rant about situations with so much detail, if anyone reading the rant recognizes themselves in the post.

Even if the poster was anonymous, so you can't figure out their screen name, you still hear everything that poster thought about you and what the rest of the imamother community thinks about your actions etc etc.

For example, someone posts, I can't stand my neighbor. She does abc and xyz and is really awful etc. etc.

And as you read the details you think embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed "Thats" what my neighbor thinks of me..

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:29 pm
People are more alike than different. (Just google on someone you think has a really unusual name and see how rare that name isn’t.) So unless the poster is giving meticulous detail about someone really unusual ( a six foot six seventy-five-year-old black transgender giyoret from Vanuatu with a doctorate in fluid physics who spent three years in Antarctica studying the way penguins propel themselves through the water and then went on to have a one-woman exhibition in the Tate Gallery of her paintings of penguin families), chances are that many dozens of people will fit the description.

And really smart posters change a few details here and there to disguise the person, so if you believe you recognize yourself, you probably don’t.

But yes, there is always the possibility.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
... a six foot six seventy-five-year-old black transgender giyoret from Vanuatu with a doctorate in fluid physics who spent three years in Antarctica studying the way penguins propel themselves through the water and then went on to have a one-woman exhibition in the Tate Gallery of her paintings of penguin families)....

D@mn, I've been outed. But I prefer "African American."

SpottedBanana

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:

Why? Vanuatu is nowhere near Africa LOL

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:

Not if you’re from Vanuatu, you don’t. Oh, I see spotted banana busted you already.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 5:07 am
Black is a color.
African American is an origin.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:46 pm
Orange is the new Black Wink

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:51 pm
Quote:
So unless the poster is giving meticulous detail about someone really unusual ( a six foot six seventy-five-year-old black transgender giyoret from Vanuatu with a doctorate in fluid physics who spent three years in Antarctica studying the way penguins propel themselves through the water and then went on to have a one-woman exhibition in the Tate Gallery of her paintings of penguin families), chances are that many dozens of people will fit the description.
Again with the penguins.

I guess some people are obsessed with us...

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
Orange is the new Black Wink

Actually on this thread black is natural.

Lol

!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 6:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Black is a color.
African American is an origin.

Using “African American” as a euphemism for black is just dumb. A person of African descent who grew up in Europe or Asia is not an African American any more than a person of Italian descent who grew up in Ireland is an Italian American. Our hypothetical giyoret above is very clearly not African American. She is a Vanuatuan of African descent.

A true African American is my coworker, born and educated in Nigeria, who immigrated to the US and is now a naturalized US citizen.

I may be politically incorrect but I don’t call Americans of African descent African American if they don’t have any living relatives who were born in Africa. I don’t call myself Lithuanian American, either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics