Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Where do Ima's disappear to so suddenly?
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 1:55 pm
Sometimes I'm reading a thread that's a year or 2 old and I'll recognize a screen name that was a frequent poster that I hadn't seen in awhile. I'll look at their posting history and often notice that they were on this site posting several times a week and all the sudden- poooof! Never heard from again. It's almost never because of a bad experience. It's so strange to me. I really enjoyed reading jewishfoodie and I see she went from constant posting to disappearing. Maybe it's just me. I find it odd!

Rachel Shira

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:02 pm
amother wrote:
Sometimes I'm reading a thread that's a year or 2 old and I'll recognize a screen name that was a frequent poster that I hadn't seen in awhile. I'll look at their posting history and often notice that they were on this site posting several times a week and all the sudden- poooof! Never heard from again. It's almost never because of a bad experience. It's so strange to me. I really enjoyed reading jewishfoodie and I see she went from constant posting to disappearing. Maybe it's just me. I find it odd!

I was just wondering yesterday about Jewishfoodie myself.
I would assume that most people post when their lives are calm, so it’s possible that some of these people have bouts of more and less free time.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:

Some people for whatever reason changed their username and you may not realize that it's really the same person.
Some people realize they are addicted and decide to work on that

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:14 pm
And some people find that after a while even imamother becomes just more of the same old same old, they’ve had enough, and they look elsewhere.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:20 pm
I personally know several long term, very valuable posters who stopped posting because the political climate is so inhospitable. The constant attacks on everything from their mental health to their frumkeit and ability to raise children, all based on their political opinion. People get to a point that they don't want to deal with it anymore

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:

How do you know that it’s not because of a bad experience?

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 2:42 pm
cnc wrote:
How do you know that it’s not because of a bad experience?

Of course I don't know forsure, but for example Jewishfoodie lasts posts were in a long thread titled "The adorable stuff kids say". She posted many times there and all cute fun thoughts. And then.....that's it. Sometimes I'll be looking at old threads and I'll see a poster I don't recognize but who has posted thousands of times and I'm curious so I'll check her posting history and her last posts will be a very parve discussion about recipes or how long it takes to walk to shul and then goodbye. Never heard from again. Of course it's possible there was a political dispute a few days earlier but I find it strange.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 4:47 pm
amother wrote:
Of course I don't know forsure, but for example Jewishfoodie lasts posts were in a long thread titled "The adorable stuff kids say". She posted many times there and all cute fun thoughts. And then.....that's it. Sometimes I'll be looking at old threads and I'll see a poster I don't recognize but who has posted thousands of times and I'm curious so I'll check her posting history and her last posts will be a very parve discussion about recipes or how long it takes to walk to shul and then goodbye. Never heard from again. Of course it's possible there was a political dispute a few days earlier but I find it strange.

Let's just hope she is well. There is another poster that posts pretty often. When she suddenly disappears I truly get worried since she is extremely ill. Nobody would have a clue. I just got to know her and when I don't see her posts I get truly concerned that something is not right healthwise and I check up on her. So let's hope she is in good health and that all is ok. You can always PM her to see how she's doing.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:25 pm
I think once people realize how many hours of the day they spend on this (and no spend on other things) easiest thing to do is 'cut bait' and sign off.

(Farewell emails are disruptive and Yael has made some comment that she doesn't really permit them).

rgr

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:35 pm
How about people whose last post was in 2012 and then pop up suddenly to post on a really random thread.

It's like, wow, a discussion about which ice cream flavor is your favorite is what is important enough to bring you out of posting hibernation of 6 years

cm

Post Fri, Jul 13 2018, 5:56 pm
Ok, I might be considered one of these. I'll delurk to explain:

1. I feel that Imamother is not a very healthy environment. When I have had enough, I take a break.

2. As jetblack noted above, it gets repetitive.

3. Now that we have the "like" button, I can agree with SixofWands without actually posting "agree!"

4. Now that SixofWands is here, I don't feel the need to add my two cents; she probably already did.

5. Did I mention the unhealthy environment?

I continue to lurk and look for interesting threads, and occasionally contribute anonymously if I'm in the mood.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 8:52 am
I think I was off for 2 years.. life got busy and I simply forgot about it. Then when life got boring I remembered it. And soon life will get busy again and I won't be posting for another 2 years haha

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 1:51 pm
Guilty as charged!

I'm on-again-off-again. My internet social life has a direct inverse correlation with my real-life social life, so it's usually a good thing when I get bored of imamother.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 1:56 pm
Some posters join the site when there's a particular thread running that is of interest to them (eg. they want to defend someone they know who is being bashed about something.) They stick around for a while and then disappear when it's no longer relevant.

It's sometimes kinda obvious to me why certain people suddenly came and went.

Metukah

Post Sat, Jul 14 2018, 7:22 pm
I was on for a few years, then off for quite a few, then on off again and I've been back on for a few months now. I joined 10 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. I got alot of great advice here and enjoyed the other threads. Then life, work, studies, family got busy BH and I didn't log on at all. I'm trying not to waste to much time on here these days but I feel like I have a healthy medium. I don't log on at work. (I wouldn't have a minute to even if I tried), I font log on when I'm busy with my kids and so I don't end up spending too much time here.
If I feel it gets too much I may decide not yo log on, with no prior notice, and disappear again for a few years.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:41 am
It's funny how people are suggesting that they come when things are calm - I have the opposite experience. I tend to spend more time on imamother when I need a distraction or a late-night break.

I'm inclined to think that most of the time it's just that they got a life and moved on. Not to insinuate that those still here don't have a life, C"V, but I mean they decided to get a different kind of life Wink

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 5:17 am
Hey! Absent Imamother here. Someone told me about this discussion so I decided to drop by and explain what happened to me and all the other Imamothers who suddenly disappeared.

Basically, there’s this other secret forum that’s just like Imamother, only way cooler. I can’t tell you it’s real name or else it wouldn’t be a secret. You get to be a member by invitation only and only very special Imamothers get invited. It’s not about how good your posts are, or how frequently you post - it’s about whether you have this special quality to you that only our leader, Raquel, can detect. If she sees that in you, she’ll send you an invitation to the secret forum.

Boy, do we have fun over there! We laugh together and cry together, and discuss things similar to on Imamother, but as I said it’s way cooler. I can’t tell you exactly how, because you wouldn’t understand unless you had that special quality to you that made you eligible to be a member.

Hope that clears matters up for you! Keep enjoying Imamother, and don’t feel bad that you’re not in this special, way cooler secret forum. Remember, it’s all about being in the forum that’s right for you - it’s not about being better or worse than anyone else. And also you probably wouldn’t enjoy our forum anyway (because you don’t have the special quality).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 6:58 am
Saddlebrown wadr that was rather a weird post. Can't out of you are serious or not.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 7:15 am
amother wrote:
Hey! Absent Imamother here. Someone told me about this discussion so I decided to drop by and explain what happened to me and all the other Imamothers who suddenly disappeared.

Basically, there’s this other secret forum that’s just like Imamother, only way cooler. I can’t tell you it’s real name or else it wouldn’t be a secret. You get to be a member by invitation only and only very special Imamothers get invited. It’s not about how good your posts are, or how frequently you post - it’s about whether you have this special quality to you that only our leader, Raquel, can detect. If she sees that in you, she’ll send you an invitation to the secret forum.

Boy, do we have fun over there! We laugh together and cry together, and discuss things similar to on Imamother, but as I said it’s way cooler. I can’t tell you exactly how, because you wouldn’t understand unless you had that special quality to you that made you eligible to be a member.

Hope that clears matters up for you! Keep enjoying Imamother, and don’t feel bad that you’re not in this special, way cooler secret forum. Remember, it’s all about being in the forum that’s right for you - it’s not about being better or worse than anyone else. And also you probably wouldn’t enjoy our forum anyway (because you don’t have the special quality).

What in the world??? shock shock
IS THE ABOVE TRUE?? Scratching Head Scratching Head

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 7:36 am
amother wrote:

LII?
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics