Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I’ve had it. Help me lose weight.
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 9:08 am
A million years ago before I had kids, I weighed 120. I’m 5’7” so I was really skinny, and I thought I would always be that way. Fast forward 18 or so years and I weigh 190, 2 months after my last child. I have decideded ad kan. I will not let this continue. I need to lose weight. I’m breastfeeding. I have problems exercising because of pelvic pain, although I’m going to therapy for that. I can’t afford fancy diets like Optavia. I can afford healthy, normal food. Please tell me what to eat.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:20 am
First cut out wheat and sugar and count your carbs

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:30 am
You don’t have to eat or restrict any specific foods, provided that you limit your portions, which means - counting calories. You can track your food intake (and any possible exercise) via an app, like MyFitnessPal. If you budget your calories wisely, you can eat a decent amount of varied foods and still lose weight. The key is tracking your food intake, so that you can be sure of staying within the desired range.

rikkabella

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:17 pm
Hi,
I hear you! About seven or eight years ago, I weighed about sixty pounds more than I do now... Smile
Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:20 pm
rikkabella wrote:
Hi,
I hear you! About seven or eight years ago, I weighed about sixty pounds more than I do now... Smile
Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.

I’d really prefer not to out myself, but thank you for offering.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:49 pm
I agree with another brunette. The myfitnesspal app helped me a lot, especially since I tend to eat the same things every day for breakfast and lunch so I only had to use it a few times to realize how much I needed to cut down. Sometimes, it's just a few little changes to your diet that can add up and make a big difference.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
A million years ago before I had kids, I weighed 120. I’m 5’7” so I was really skinny, and I thought I would always be that way. Fast forward 18 or so years and I weigh 190, 2 months after my last child. I have decideded ad kan. I will not let this continue. I need to lose weight. I’m breastfeeding. I have problems exercising because of pelvic pain, although I’m going to therapy for that. I can’t afford fancy diets like Optavia. I can afford healthy, normal food. Please tell me what to eat.

Breakfast: Cream cheese on bread with a cheese or chocolate danish. 1 cup chocolate milk.

Lunch: Pizza or Falafal with a side of potatoes. Coke or pepsi to drink.

Dinner: Fried chicken or burgers on a bun. Orange soda or sprite to drink

OR TRY

Breakfast: A scoop of tuna, no mayo with cucumbers or a red pepper

Lunch: 6 oz. grilled chicken with lettuce, carrots and asparagus.

Dinner: salmon with hearts of palm, green pepper, spinach, and broccoli.

I think there's been an incredible phenomenon since dietitians, nutritionists, weight loss centers and programs became popular. What's happened is that people compare the concept of losing weight to that of something that requires a special skill, like fixing a car or flying an airplane. Just as you probably wouldn't do a major car repair on a car or attempt to fly an airplane, and would only use a trained professional, so to with weight loss, we can only succeed by consulting and using the services of a trained professional. This is not so. People should realize that for the most part they can lose weight by themselves. What to eat and not eat are obvious. Do you really need a professional to tell you to cut out carbs and sugars? Do you really need a professional to tell you to drink water and eat veggies? Why do so many feel completely lost about the idea of dieting and need all sorts of guidance? We all know what to do. The hard part is doing it. How many of us who are healthy enough to exercise walk at least 20/30 minutes a day? Most don't. Kids, family and life get in the way, and it's not a priority. However, we all agree it would be ideal and healthy if we could exercise more. We don't need an exercise guru to tell us this. Why do we need an expert to go on basic low carb, low sugar diet?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Breakfast: Cream cheese on bread with a cheese or chocolate danish. 1 cup chocolate milk.

OR TRY

I think there's been an incredible phenomenon since dietitians, nutritionists, weight loss centers and programs became popular. What's happened is that people compare the concept of losing weight to that of something that requires a special skill, like fixing a car or flying an airplane. Just as you probably wouldn't do a major car repair on a car or attempt to fly an airplane, and would only use a trained professional, so to with weight loss, we can only succeed by consulting and using the services of a trained professional. This is not so. People should realize that for the most part they can lose weight by themselves. What to eat and not eat are obvious. Do you really need a professional to tell you to cut out carbs and sugars? Do you really need a professional to tell you to drink water and eat veggies? Why do so many feel completely lost about the idea of dieting and need all sorts of guidance? We all know what to do. The hard part is doing it. How many of us who are healthy enough to exercise walk at least 20/30 minutes a day? Most don't. Kids, family and life get in the way, and it's not a priority. However, we all agree it would be ideal and healthy if we could exercise more. We don't need an exercise guru to tell us this. Why do we need an expert to go on basic low carb, low sugar diet?

You make it sound simple but it is not. I do walk 20 to 30 min a day and I eat few carbs and sugar in addition to not going over a ceryain amount of calories a day but the pounds dont just shed. Why? Bec everyones body is different and reacts differently. Also it is 1000 times harder to lose weight gained from pregnancy than to maintain our weight before we had kids(those of us who were thin before like op and me).

If its so easy, then why when I didnt have kids and did exercise a b c and ate foods a b c, I was only 120 but now if I exercise and eat the same, I wont be the same 120? Bec more fat needs to be burned now that theres pregnancy weight gain. Everything changed for me and as we age its harder.

So, no, its not so simple. I will be following this thread too but please dont assume its easy for everyone. Some ppl lose weight right after birth, and their bodies work like that. Also, please dont assume everyone eats as you wrote for the first option. If I ate like that, I wouldnt have been skinny before my kids. So I can relate to op's post, its hard to lose after having pregnancies.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
You make it sound simple but it is not. I do walk 20 to 30 min a day and I eat few carbs and sugar in addition to not going over a ceryain amount of calories a day but the pounds dont just shed. Why? Bec everyones body is different and reacts differently. Also it is 1000 times harder to lose weight gained from pregnancy than to maintain our weight before we had kids(those of us who were thin before like op and me).

If its so easy, then why when I didnt have kids and did exercise a b c and ate foods a b c, I was only 120 but now if I exercise and eat the same, I wont be the same 120? Bec more fat needs to be burned now that theres pregnancy weight gain. Everything changed for me and as we age its harder.

So, no, its not so simple. I will be following this thread too but please dont assume its easy for everyone. Some ppl lose weight right after birth, and their bodies work like that. Also, please dont assume everyone eats as you wrote for the first option. If I ate like that, I wouldnt have been skinny before my kids. So I can relate to op's post, its hard to lose after having pregnancies.

If I ate pizza or burgers or soda, I would only have myself to blame. Also, at the moment I am regaining my core strength and cannot exercise (or climb stairs or life my kids or any normal activity).

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:

OR TRY

I didn’t go to a guru. I came here. I asked for help, not for a lecture and a potch.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:18 pm
Another factor- how much water do you drink?
Also, I started drinking kangen water and it's the first time I am able to loose weight since I got married. Babies and birth control has not allowed me to loose anything, even when I tried dieting.
Ofcourse you need to watch your food as well.
Start with cutting carbs and sugar like another said

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:31 pm
I do weight watchers and I love it. Today I had 2 egg omelette with cheese for breakfast. A bowl of cereal and a diet cheesecake for lunch. A falafel salad and rice cakes for supper.

I went from 158 to 138.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:

Actually, for the most part the idea is simple. It's the implementation of the simple idea that is enormously difficult. When I go down into my basement and I see a gigantic mess the kids made that the kids can't clean themselves, it will be difficult and a big burden to clean up and I'd rather procrastinate and not deal it. But the truth is that I know what to do it's just soooooo much easier to not do it. It's the same with weight loss. We really know what to do, what foods to eat and what not to eat. Of course as we get older Nd have children our bodies change and it becomes even more difficult to lose weight, but the plan is pretty much the same. So op needs "help" losing weight. Have you been honestly careful with your diet the past few months? If not, start there. Now I agree that the implementation of what needs to be done is difficult, but the idea is obvious.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, for the most part the idea is simple. It's the implementation of the simple idea that is enormously difficult. When I go down into my basement and I see a gigantic mess the kids made that the kids can't clean themselves, it will be difficult and a big burden to clean up and I'd rather procrastinate and not deal it. But the truth is that I know what to do it's just soooooo much easier to not do it. It's the same with weight loss. We really know what to do, what foods to eat and what not to eat. Of course as we get older Nd have children our bodies change and it becomes even more difficult to lose weight, but the plan is pretty much the same. So op needs "help" losing weight. Have you been honestly careful with your diet the past few months? If not, start there. Now I agree that the implementation of what needs to be done is difficult, but the idea is obvious.

I. Just. Had. A. Baby.
I gained 15 lbs during my entire pregnancy. But I weighed more than I wanted to before I got pregnant and it was a surprise.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
I. Just. Had. A. Baby.
I gained 15 lbs during my entire pregnancy. But I weighed more than I wanted to before I got pregnant and it was a surprise.

Most of the diets are very similar. Low fat, low calorie, low sugar, low carb. They attach a fancy name to it like "south beach" but it's really about the dietetic intake. The fact that you just had a baby (mazal tov) doesn't change the mechanics of losing weight. It's still the same. If there is a medical issue involved then imamother is probably not the best place to seek guidance.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:26 pm
Current evidence-based research shows that weight loss is a lot more complex than just "cut out carbs" or "have self control".

First of all, chances are your set point is no longer 120. I would imagine after x amount of year and x amount of kids, your set point is probably closer to 150-160. So Definitely don't use 120 as your goal.

I honestly don't have advise beyond that, because current research shows that there is no sustainable long-term weight loss solution.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:28 pm
On a practical note, I started by doing egg white omelettes every morning, often with cheese, and spinach. The protein fills me until lunch with plenty of water in the morning.

I make a big salad (lettuce, cukes, cubes of fresh red and yellow pepper and red cabbage) every two-3 days and add dressing only right before I eat it... I eat some for lunch and supper with a protein over the next two days.

My lunch and supper proteins include tofu, salmon, egg salad, tuna salad; sometimes I make a quinoa salad.

When I do carbs, I make it carbs I really want / like.

I also make a shredded green cabbage / tomato soup. It's filling and almost no calories. I'll try to find you the recipe.

The Cabbage Soup Diet recipe:

6 large onions, chopped
2 green peppers, diced
2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
250g mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch celery, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped or 2 bags of bodek
3 carrots, sliced
1 package dry onion soup or (pareve) chicken broth mix
1 or 2 cubes bouillon (optional)
 Salt and pepper
For added flavour: Cayenne pepper, curry powder, mixed herbs or any other seasoning.

Instructions:

1. Use spray oil to sauté the chopped onions in a large pot.
2. Add the green pepper pieces and heat for a minute.
3. Add the chopped cabbage leaves, sliced carrots, celery and mushrooms.
4. Sprinkle over a little cayenne pepper or curry powder.
5. Add 12 cups of water and any additional stock cubes.
6. Cook over a medium heat until the soup is the vegetables are tender and the soup is the right consistency.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
Most of the diets are very similar. Low fat, low calorie, low sugar, low carb. They attach a fancy name to it like "south beach" but it's really about the dietetic intake. The fact that you just had a baby (mazal tov) doesn't change the mechanics of losing weight. It's still the same. If there is a medical issue involved then imamother is probably not the best place to seek guidance.

I’m not really sure why you’re so down on me, but please stop commenting here. You have no idea what I did or did not do in terms of seeking medical advice. You sound like the OP of one of those fat shaming threads, and I can really do without that right now.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 5:43 pm
amother wrote:
Current evidence-based research shows that weight loss is a lot more complex than just "cut out carbs" or "have self control".

First of all, chances are your set point is no longer 120. I would imagine after x amount of year and x amount of kids, your set point is probably closer to 150-160. So Definitely don't use 120 as your goal.

I honestly don't have advise beyond that, because current research shows that there is no sustainable long-term weight loss solution.

I know it probably isn’t, but I’m pretending I have a chance. I know that’s pathetic.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 5:52 pm
10 lbs is not this major hurdle. Most people have a lot more to lose. If that's really all you have to lose, you can do with minor cut backs and adding slight exercirse, even 10 minutes more a day and cutting out 100 calories a day but cut yourself some slack until you recover from birth.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise