Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Identical twins run in families
1  2  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:04 pm
I find the subject of twins very fascinating. I know that scientifically fraternal twins run in families and that officially, identical twins is a "fluke" and is very random. However, I find that difficult to believe since I've seen too many cases where it seems to be genetic. For example, two (or more) siblings each having their own set of identical twins. Or, a family having more than one set of identical twins, or a set of both (one fraternal and one identical). I'd love to hear others' thoughts, because my research contradicts what I see in real life.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 12:07 pm
Both.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:29 pm
Biologically thought not to be possible for identical twins to run in families. Splitting of the egg after fertilisation is thought to be a random event, but who knows

And in general, fraternal twins definitely run in the family, but ONLY on the mother's side, as it's to do with ovulating more than one egg.

My husband has identical twins in his family, my family has fraternal twins, and I also have fraternal twins. So many people think my husband having identical twins in the family was a factor in me having twins, but it's not true.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 2:38 pm
Twins often means fertility treatments these days.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:

Not identical twins

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:

But not necessarily

I bh have fraternal twins. Does not run in the family. Never did treatments. Heck, I've never been on any form of hormonal anything ever. I'm sure plenty of people assumed what they want.

susanstohelit

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:08 pm
As you mentioned, the phenomena of fraternal and identical twins are totally unrelated.

Fraternal twins occur when two eggs are fertilized and implanted. When this happens after a natural conception, it often means that the mother (obviously this can only be on the maternal side) has a genetic predisposition to ovulating more than one egg at once. That doesn't mean that it will happen in every pregnancy, or that if two eggs are ovulated at any given point that both eggs will then implant and gestate. It just means that it's more likely than in the case of a woman without that genetic predisposition.

Fraternal twins are also more likely to occur in older mothers. (By the way, this is NOT code for "they got fertility treatments"- while fertility treatments ARE more likely to cause multiples by increasing ovulation/deliberately implanting multiple fertilized ova, after age 35 even women who conceive normally are more likely to have fraternal twins than they would have been ten years earlier.)

Identical twins occur after one egg has already been fertilized and implanted. This produces two nearly identical children. The exact reason why the zygote splits is unknown, but rates of identical twins are basically constant worldwide, making it exceedingly unlikely that this is genetic.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 4:45 pm
I have heard fraternal twins skip generations. So if your mother or aunt had twins, you won't, but your daughter might. This is true in my family, but the incidence is very low. My mothers sister has one set of twins, no other kids. My mother has many children, no twins. I have quite a few married nieces with kids and only one has had twins. (def not assisted conception)

Fox

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 10:25 pm
It's also interesting that many people never know for certain whether their twins are fraternal or identical. Even with sophisticated ultrasounds, it's not possible to say for certain that similar-looking twins of the same gender are not identical. While fraternal twins have separate placentas and amniotic sacs, identical twins may or may not, depending on when the zygote split. DNA tests obviously show whether twins are truly monozygotic (identical) or not, but if the split occurred very early, there will be more individual DNA mutations, too.

And just for the record, even if you have DNA evidence that your yummy little girl twins are really, truly identical, they won't be willing to wear the same wedding dress when they grow up and each gets married. A placenta, they'll share. A lacy white dress that looks pretty much like every other lacy white dress? No way!

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jul 15 2018, 11:19 pm
I knew identical twins and one told me it supposedly skips a generation and she was all excited that she wouldn’t have to deal with it herself.

Cut to a few years later and she gave birth to a pair of fraternal twins. Which informed her twin that she too was more likely to have fraternal twins.

I googled it after that happened and remember reading that for some inexplicable reason, there were higher instances of twins having twins, even if from identical to fraternal. But that was a while back and I’m not sure if research has since been updated.

The only connection I can make offhand is that even if x% of women are likely to have fraternal twins, with identical twins, each x is doubled. Not sure if that’s it though.

newmom770

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 12:30 am
Maybe there is a genetic cause to the split of identical twins which could mean some poeple carry the gene for that to happen.

I once saw girls aprox 9 years old in the playground, they were so identical looking it was unbelievable.

blessedflower

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:08 am
amother wrote:
I have heard fraternal twins skip generations. So if your mother or aunt had twins, you won't, but your daughter might. This is true in my family, but the incidence is very low. My mothers sister has one set of twins, no other kids. My mother has many children, no twins. I have quite a few married nieces with kids and only one has had twins. (def not assisted conception)
only the mothers genes play a role in having twins. My dh family all have twins. I won't necessarily have (at least not cuz of my dh) but my dd might get this genes from my dh and she could have twins. In this situation it skips a generation (only when there's man involved) but from mother to dd it doesn't skip a generation

mom2u

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 11:03 pm
OP I have the same opinion as you I've seen to many identical twins in one family and I believe it's hereditary although according to scientists it's pure coincidence.
By fraternal twins the only way they can tell it's identical through an ultrasound is if there's one placenta but if they have 2 separate placentas you can only confirm it by doing an DNA.
When the embryo splits right when the person conceives they'll have 2 placentas but if it splits 3 days after conception they'll have one placenta with 2 sacks. 6 days after conception they'll have one placenta one sack and if it splits 9 days after the person conceives it's siamese twins.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 11:18 pm
I bh have identical twins, I was told at the 20 wk ultrasound that they are most likely identical and after delivery they sent the placenta for pathology testing and it came back that they are identical. They do have a good few differences though

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 2:44 am
I do think is genetic and ir could be from the father too. And identical twins too
My fathers family is full of twins from the great grandma having a few sets, my father is a twin, he has twins and grandchildren twins from his son.
My cousins are twins and other non twins have twin kids .
Btw I heard that most women ovulate 2 eggs every 2 years or so

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:18 am
amother wrote:
But not necessarily

I bh have fraternal twins. Does not run in the family.

Food for thought:

Twin pregnancies often don't make it all the way to live birth. It's quite possible that generations of women in your family have miscarried twins, or had only one survive. Twins might run in the family even if you don't know it.

suri63

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:09 pm
We have FOUR sets of identical twins in our immediate family....
Mother has twins. I have twins. Two of my brothers have twins. All identical.
So does it not run in the family??! and were talking two females gave birth to twins, two Men fathering twins, so its really interesting.....

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:17 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Food for thought:

Twin pregnancies often don't make it all the way to live birth. It's quite possible that generations of women in your family have miscarried twins, or had only one survive. Twins might run in the family even if you don't know it.

On the other hand, the ability to carry twins might run in families too, but it's a separate gene, so even though the splitting that causes identical twins doesn't run in families, the ability to carry them could.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Not identical twins

It sure does!
Fertility treatment increases the risk of identical twins

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:53 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

Why is it "def not" assisted conception? (You seem so sure.. were you there?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more