Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Good investment help

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:47 pm
Hi all,

Bh we have about 100k saved up and we really want to invest. I really don't want it to just sit in the bank anymore. We tried to buy a house in our area and we really couldn't afford it, long story we ended up getting rejected for a mortgage. Anyway we tried to move to a cheaper area and had a very hard time finding jobs. So we decided we want to buy in a cheaper area and rent it out.
Any ideas of a good investment place to do this? And any other ideas of a good investment? Thanks so much!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:02 pm
since you don't qualify for a mortgage - are you looking to buy a place outright for 100k?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:03 pm
Sorry, no we do qualify for a mortgage, but not such a big one for where we live. Basically we can buy a house for 350,370k

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:18 pm
Got it. (was that a mortgage approval for ownership by you, or investment property?). Have you talked to anyone about being a landlord - especially one that uses a property manager rather than oversee things directly?

Personally - I'd invest in a bunch of ETFs or REITs rather than deal with the headache - but real estate does have good potential for tremendous growth.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Got it. (was that a mortgage approval for ownership by you, or investment property?). Have you talked to anyone about being a landlord - especially one that uses a property manager rather than oversee things directly?

Personally - I'd invest in a bunch of ETFs or REITs rather than deal with the headache - but real estate does have good potential for tremendous growth.

The house was for us to live in.. Not investment.

What is etf and reit?

We really Want to buy a house so that in x amount of years we can sell for a lot more..

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
The house was for us to live in.. Not investment.

What is etf and reit?

We really Want to buy a house so that in x amount of years we can sell for a lot more..

the mortgage qualification for a house that you use as an investment is different than what it would be for principal residence.

ETF and REIT are things you can google.

Good Luck!

doctorima

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:04 pm
If you're doing it yourself, the simplest way would be to divide it between a few index funds at Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab - stock, bond, international. If that's gibberish to you and you want to hire a professional to do everything for you and (hopefully) make even more money, feel free to PM me for the name of an amazing investment advisor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics