Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Help...Drowning

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:41 pm
I can't focus on my work. There are lots of reasons why not, all legitimate! But I still need to work! I guess I'm just venting.

I'm feeling socially isolated but have no time to go out because of my constant procrastination. I also don't bother getting dressed and it's a pain to get myself anywhere.

Imamother doesn't help either...

Anyone else have this?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:49 pm
You sound like me when I was clinically depressed. Can you make an appointment with a mental health practitioner or at least your primary care doctor to get screened?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
You sound like me when I was clinically depressed. Can you make an appointment with a mental health practitioner or at least your primary care doctor to get screened?

I am depressed and on meds and in therapy.

I just feel like the whole working from home situation makes me even more isolated and depressed, but I can't change my working arrangement. I'm not looking to solutionize my entire situation, just for support and maybe some easily-implementable solutions.

Shendellah

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:07 pm
I work from home several days a week.
I also easily get distracted at home.
Here are a few things that have helped me!

1. Get dressed! Its hard to focus when you are lounging in PJs. I happen to have to leave the house to drop off my kids at school or camp. But even if I don't leave the house (ex snow days) I still wear something more put together than PJ's or sweats.

2. Make to-do lists. Only move on to the next task when the previous task is completed (even if you hear the dryer buzzer go off). Here is an example:

To-do list:
a. Throw in load of laundry
b. Read/respond to emails
c. Review AM financial reviews
d. finish washing dishes from breakfast
e. dial in to 10am meeting etc etc

(this forces you to focus on one task at a time but allows you to throw in some chores into your schedule)

3. You need a physical space dedicated only to your work. It is hard to concentrate while working on the kitchen counter or dining room table.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:13 pm
I also work from home. Some things that help me:

Get out of the house. Even for 5 minutes. Walk around the block or run a quick errand.

Make sure your work area is clean and uncluttered.

Daven Shacharis before starting (really makes a difference for me, even though I daven a VERY abbreviated version).

Find an easy task (or several) to start with so you can start to implement the snowball effect. Success breeds success!

If you work on the computer, sketch out your plans on paper before heading to the screen.

Find some good music/sefira music/online class to play to keep your brain distracted from the negative thoughts blocking your work.

Write a diary entry listing the things that are bothering you and give yourself permission to stop ruminating about the issues until after your work is done.

Use the Pomodoro technique to get into a good working groove (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tomighty/peehjcejinjjiphdhbhibpphdhkifddk?hl=en is one option).

Remind yourself that you are doing great!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:15 pm
Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming! I know lots of these tips already, it's just a matter of staying in the right mindset to implement them.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:

This is something I need to do more often. Sad

I have a problem of rewarding myself whenever I feel good about having accomplished something. The "reward" usually leads to more distractions.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 3:41 pm
I am so drowning here. I did go out this morning and thought that would help. In the end I only got 1.5 hours of work done, and now the kids are home. I'm feeling hot and annoyed and frustrated. I have somewhere to go tonight so I can't even make up the hours. I am hot and sweaty and want a shower but we minimize them in the 9 days. I can probably take a cold one but I'm dreading the cold water. My workspace is a wreck. My brain just feels ugggghhh.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 4:33 pm
Im so sorry your feeling this way. As someone whos recently gone through depression ocd and anxiety I really feel you. When I was depressed I was in a really dark place and I couldnt see how I would get out of that darkness. Hashem helps and B''H I am now in a much much brighter place!! IY''H you should feel way better really soon.!! I too went on medication. Definitely make it a point to get dressed first thing in the morning and make your bed even if you dont feel like it. Excersize get out eat healthy . when your in a rut its hard to find the motivation to do these things dont wait for the motivation !! do it even if its really really really hard and hopefully youll soon feel much better. Hatzlacha hugs wishing you all the best!!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:39 pm
I don’t work at home but I am very emotionally drained and have hardly been working. It’s sad for me because I have a good job but have cut down to so few hours a week. I can really empathize with just not having the emotional energy. Although reading back on your op I’m actually wondering if that’s what you meant. That’s the first impression I had reading it, but maybe that’s just because I interpreted it through my own experience.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
I also work from home. Some things that help me:

Get out of the house. Even for 5 minutes. Walk around the block or run a quick errand.

Make sure your work area is clean and uncluttered.

Daven Shacharis before starting (really makes a difference for me, even though I daven a VERY abbreviated version).

Find an easy task (or several) to start with so you can start to implement the snowball effect. Success breeds success!

If you work on the computer, sketch out your plans on paper before heading to the screen.

Find some good music/sefira music/online class to play to keep your brain distracted from the negative thoughts blocking your work.

Write a diary entry listing the things that are bothering you and give yourself permission to stop ruminating about the issues until after your work is done.

Use the Pomodoro technique to get into a good working groove (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tomighty/peehjcejinjjiphdhbhibpphdhkifddk?hl=en is one option).

Thanks - I need to read these and will be bookmarking.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 6:33 pm
I'm the same except it's not regular work but rather my thesis I have to finish... with 2 babies home... before end of August...
Hugs for you from a very compassionate colleague embarrassed

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the same except it's not regular work but rather my thesis I have to finish... with 2 babies home... before end of August...
Hugs for you from a very compassionate colleague embarrassed

I’ve been there! I needed to hire a part time babysitter.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 2:43 am
"I’ve been there! I needed to hire a part time babysitter."

this
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers