Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o do you respect classy/wealthy people more?
Previous  1  2  3

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:10 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
That comment about wealthy people eating in delux was the funniest thing I saw in a while. I always thought I was poor she ba poor. I live in a small place, all my furniture is from my mother ah or my inlaws who passed away long before I met my husband. All my clothing is from Gemachs or cons. shops. Its just my husband and I now , so I rarely go to a grocery store. Delux and other takeout places average 40-50 a week. ( When my son came for the month of Nissan, it cost a fortune Smile ).
Meanwhile all my neighbors who are young couples pre-children , say they can't afford to eat out, but they get 300-400 $ orders from Gourmet Glatt or Farm Fresh once or twice a month...

This is just silly. My grocery bill is probably over $300 a week, and I don't have such a huge family. Take out from Glatt Bite (once or twice a year) costs us over $70 - plain hamburgers/schnitzel, nothing fancy. Obviously if it was just me and my husband we would buy much more takeout, and it would be cheaper. So I'm not sure how you're comparing.

ETA: you're talking about pre-children? What are they buying - silver and pearls?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:18 am
Respect wealthy people less than everyone else.
Most of the wealthy people I know are really really mean.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:24 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
That comment about wealthy people eating in delux was the funniest thing I saw in a while. I always thought I was poor she ba poor. I live in a small place, all my furniture is from my mother ah or my inlaws who passed away long before I met my husband. All my clothing is from Gemachs or cons. shops. Its just my husband and I now , so I rarely go to a grocery store. Delux and other takeout places average 40-50 a week. ( When my son came for the month of Nissan, it cost a fortune Smile ).
Meanwhile all my neighbors who are young couples pre-children , say they can't afford to eat out, but they get 300-400 $ orders from Gourmet Glatt or Farm Fresh once or twice a month...

Mods I meant to say this in the "what is considered wealthy" thread instead, can you please move it. I tried to delete here and post there, but it says you can't delete...

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:25 am
I respect people with class—but my definition has nothing to do with money. Class, to me, means behaving with dignity, decorum, and consideration for others. Tronald Dump, despite his billions, personifies crass, not class. Bill and Melinda Gates are a class act. So was my late neighbor who had enough to live on but kept working into his eighties to be able to give more tzedakah than his pension alone would allow.

“Class” in dress and decor means simple elegance without ostentation. I don’t consider the Palace of Versailles to be classy, for example. It’s overdone and obnoxious. Classical Greek architecture is classy, or would be without the nude sculptures.

Of course, having money makes it easier. Generous gifts are classy if they’re not bribes and not meant to bring glory to the giver. Simple but well-made clothing doesn’t come cheap. Dedicating a hospital wing in memory of your beloved first grade teacher is VERY classy but beyond the reach of ordinary mortals of average means.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:34 am
I stay far away from most wealthy ppl. But, I respect ppl who act good/nice despite their wealth. Meaning, ppl who dont flaunt their wealth and are sensitive to ppl who are in a different income bracket...yes, they have my respect. I didnt even know these ppl were wealthy when I met them. So, their wealth didnt change them.

However, I dont respect the wealthy board members of my kids school who are powwerful and let their kids bully others but then use their wealth=power to get the victims kicked out. I also dont respect the bosses who are wealthy and use their power to ruin ppl. I am not intimidated by wealthy ppl at all bec I dont respect them.

Am I nervous/scared in front of ppl who have power??yes if they can ruin me (bec I wish I were at a higher level of bitachon that only hashem pulls the strings) do some of these ppl have more power bec of their wealth? Yes.

Also, some ppl I know who are/were nasty and critical/snobby with a "better than u attitude bec I dress better..." were poor but then married into wealth. I dont respect these ppl and never will. I will never be intimidated by these ppl bec im disgusted by their snobby attitudes. Yes, I wish my life is easier like theirs bec I do treat ppl nicely but thats the ques "tzadik vra lo rasha vtov lo".

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 11:46 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
This is just silly. My grocery bill is probably over $300 a week, and I don't have such a huge family. Take out from Glatt Bite (once or twice a year) costs us over $70 - plain hamburgers/schnitzel, nothing fancy. Obviously if it was just me and my husband we would buy much more takeout, and it would be cheaper. So I'm not sure how you're comparing.

ETA: you're talking about pre-children? What are they buying - silver and pearls?

Maybe
What

honeymoon

Post Mon, Jul 16 2018, 1:04 pm
I respect wealthy people. Or I don't. My respect for people has nothing to do with their money or lack thereof.

It took me many years to realize that my parents are wealthier than my friends' parents. (I was actually enlightened by a classmate of mine!) We lived simply yet comfortably, and were taught to respect people whose values and actions are worthy of respect.

And I'm grateful to my parents for that.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 2:24 am
Money doesn't buy class, especially new money. My parents had new rich friends and well, they were ADORABLE AND ALL but... not one book, golden stuff inside their home... shock

Knew a very classy woman who couldn't afford a sheitel (she gave hers to a kallah) or to fix her heating food thing
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette