Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
9 days question

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:08 pm
Several of the restrictions prohibiting certain activities during the 9 days seem kind of odd and out of touch to me. When the rabbanim made the halochos hundreds of years ago, the activities that are restricted were not as routine and common as they are today. For example in the olden days it would be a big ordeal to go to the river and bathe. This is certainly not something that was done easily and every day. These days taking a shower is routine. It's not in any way extravagant to take a shower. The same thing is true with not eating meat. Hundreds of years ago I imagine there would be a big celebration in town because Chaim slaughtered a cow. His family and friends would eat the cow for 10 days. These days eating meat is not luxurious. In fact, going to a fancy dairy restaurant and eating expensive lavishly cooked dairy meals is far more luxurious than eating a hotdog. Yet eating a hotdog is not permitted. I could detail the laundry example but I think it's obvious. We all have easy access to washing machines these days. My point is that if the sefarim and halochos were written today I'm not sure these activities would be assur.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:25 pm
It’s not about it being extravagant.
It’s about comfort.

Meat for dinner is comfort food. More than bread or pasta.
Clean laundry is comfort.
A clean body is comfort.

We try to keep away from extra comforts during the 9 days.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:40 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not about it being extravagant.
It’s about comfort.

Meat for dinner is comfort food. More than bread or pasta.
Clean laundry is comfort.
A clean body is comfort.

We try to keep away from extra comforts during the 9 days.

Ok, so it's about comfort. Where exactly do we draw the line? I would say air conditioning is a comfort. Diving a car instead of walking is a comfort. Laying down on my bed with my pillow is a comfort. What is the precise difference between the comfort of showering which is assur and the comfort of air conditioning which is mutter.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:42 pm
This is exactly why we follow Halacha. Because we would never know.

We’re not the ones smart enough to draw these lines.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, so it's about comfort. Where exactly to we draw the line? I would say air conditioning is a comfort. Diving a car instead of walking is a comfort. Laying down on my bed with my pillow is a comfort. What is the precise difference between the comfort of showering which is assur and the comfort of air conditioning which is mutter.

We don't draw the line, the chachamim already did. The original halachos are not going to be completely abolished, and I don't think anyone is asking for additional restrictions, right?

I do think people should make somber choices for themselves this week even if it isn't a rule for the klal. And on Tisha bav itself the comforts of sleeping on pillows, sitting in chairs, washing up are minimized according to halacha as well.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:31 pm
We don't shower or listen to music during shiva. What's the difference?
And about showering every day, it depends where you are from and your mentality.
I only shower 2-3 times a week. So I try to bring it down to just erev shabbos...and one other time in colder water.

Can't you ask this question about any other halacha that you feel is outdated?
Go ask your Rabbi if you really want a clear precise answer.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 11:06 pm
Yes, at some level the rules are arbitrary. That's ok. So long as we understand that these actions are intended to remind us of the churban, the rules serve their purpose.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 11:13 pm
Wow!!!!!
Not one person on this thread mentioned
Reb Moshe ztzl

TODAY WE ALL HAVE A DIN OF ISTINUS
( fastidious)
I thought that was basic

Metukah

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:40 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow!!!!!
Not one person on this thread mentioned
Reb Moshe ztzl

TODAY WE ALL HAVE A DIN OF ISTINUS
( fastidious)
I thought that was basic

Really? All? Even my neighbour who showers once a week and the smell emanating from her house is one of a slaughter house?

Maybe she is 'istanistit' when it comes to filth.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:45 am
Metukah wrote:
Really? All? Even my neighbour who showers once a week and the smell emanating from her house is one of a slaughter house?

Maybe she is 'istanistit' when it comes to filth.

I believe that the understanding came from what is standard in modern American society. Prisoners are entitled to shower every day, because a daily shower is considered basic hygiene in our world. I'm very sorry you have to deal with a smelly neighbor.

Metukah

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
I believe that the understanding came from what is standard in modern American society. Prisoners are entitled to shower every day, because a daily shower is considered basic hygiene in our world. I'm very sorry you have to deal with a smelly neighbor.

Thank you for your sympathy. Its one extremely smelly neighbour, but unfortunately many of my other neighbours also lack basic hygiene. Even in the hot summer days, they shower their kids only twice a week. Quite unfortunate. I had a kids friend stay over. She was so excited that she got to shower every day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics