Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How Was Jury Duty?

Boca00

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 8:40 pm
So, I just got my jury duty summons and I actually would love to go. I'm probably going to need an exemption for family reasons, but I am really fascinated by the legal system.

For those of you who went, what was it like? How long does it take? What kind of cases were you asked to sit on?

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:02 pm
I did it when I was single. It was a drug case. I found it interesting. Wouldn't have felt comfortable sitting on a jury that was more "serious" like murder, kidnapping...

miami85

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:48 pm
I've gotten summoned twice. The first time I sat in the room all day and never got called, and the second time I got "stand-by" and they never got to my number.

perquacky

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:11 pm
I've served four or five times. Sat on two juries. Civil cases. Interesting for the most part. But there's a lot of down time, waiting to be selected. Or long lunches. Bring a good book.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:26 pm
I've gone a few times but never been chosen. Bring things to do during all the wait time (book to read, crossword puzzles, work if you have any, etc.)

tachles

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:34 pm
Boca I could have written that myself !

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:42 am
Super relaxing. Almost quiet, free WiFi. Need to wake up early. I got called into a panel a couple of times but never got onto a case. Good thing because I really unfortunately didn't have time, I was kind of gambling though. You could ask to be excused but then they just call you back a few months later. By the time I was there already anyway I figured if I stay the day then maybe I can be off the hook for the next several years. The clerk was nice and seemed to understand that, which may have helped.

rachaelle

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:44 am
I did it a few years ago, when I was single and in college. I waited for 2-3 hours before I was called, and then had to fill out questionnaire and answer oral questions from lawyers in a room with a few other people. There was a Jewish guy in the room and we mentioned that we wouldn’t be available the next week (pesach), so we were dismissed. During my wait time I read through an entire course textbook and was able to concentrate and study. I did amazing on the course! Smile so overall it was a good experience. I would love to sit on a jury one day, though!

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 6:22 am
I served on jury duty for about 5 weeks. It was a good break from my full time job. There were days we got out early, like 2-3 pm. I was accommodated every Friday as it was wintertime.
The last day we were sequestered, and that was awful. They took us overnight to a very dumpy hotel where I shared a room with a stranger.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 6:26 am
I was on a 3 week murder (as a hate crime) case. It felt like one of the most important things I will ever so in my life.

STMommy

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 9:54 am
I was an alternate juror on a domestic violence case. Not the most pleasant experience.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 10:30 am
I was on a theft case, took two days. She was charged and found guilty of theft of people's personal possessions (pocket books) and contents, including credit card theft, drug theft (one woman had her son's concerta prescription in her bag), and money.

It was interesting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics