Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Brainstorm!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:35 pm
Can anyone give me some ideas to suggest to my husband for a job.
Some things about him
- organized
- young
- detail oriented
- smart but sometimes takes a while to catch on to things...
- friendly
- has some customer service experience
- helpful
- takes initiative
- has no degree or certificates to help him get a job.
He is open to learning something in a quick course. Maybe like graphic design or something but I don't think that will be a large enough salary for a frum lifestyle.

Anyone have any ideas for him? What can he do that has normal hours, pays a lot and doesn't require too much training and isn't too complicated (could be an entry level job that he will grow with)

Thanks

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Can anyone give me some ideas to suggest to my husband for a job.
Some things about him
- organized
- young
- detail oriented
- smart but sometimes takes a while to catch on to things...
- friendly
- has some customer service experience
- helpful
- takes initiative
- has no degree or certificates to help him get a job.
He is open to learning something in a quick course. Maybe like graphic design or something but I don't think that will be a large enough salary for a frum lifestyle.

Anyone have any ideas for him? What can he do that has normal hours, pays a lot and doesn't require too much training and isn't too complicated (could be an entry level job that he will grow with)

Thanks

that a very tall order OP.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
that a very tall order OP.

Thanks for your help...
I'm asking for ideas. We both can't think of anything because we are young people and are fresh out of seminary and yeshiva and didn't realize how hard it was to get a job. Everyone else seems to do it... But nothing is coming up for him. We are trying to think of things that he can learn that are normal jobs that a frum man can do. What does your husband do?
I don't need you telling me it's a tall order. Im aware, but right now we are stuck and need a way to provide for our family. So any help to think of ideas would be nice

gibberish

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:56 pm
Sales or marketing?

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 9:57 pm
I dont know where u r located, but we were in the same position a few years ago.
My husband went to pcs in lakewood and met the guy who is sort of like a job shadchan. He got a job which was a great stepping stone for him bh. If you are near lakewood give them a call.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:01 pm
Amazon FBA?

https://thesellingfamily.com/t.....oday/

Pays a lot (learning curve at the beginning though) and can start with no degree and just take one quick course from the above link before starting.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for your help...
I'm asking for ideas. We both can't think of anything because we are young people and are fresh out of seminary and yeshiva and didn't realize how hard it was to get a job. Everyone else seems to do it... But nothing is coming up for him. We are trying to think of things that he can learn that are normal jobs that a frum man can do. What does your husband do?
I don't need you telling me it's a tall order. Im aware, but right now we are stuck and need a way to provide for our family. So any help to think of ideas would be nice

My husband is a lawyer.

You need to be realistic that he's not going to get "pays a lot", "entry level", "isn't too complicated".

"normal jobs"? Has he considered learning a trade? Or does he need to be white collar?

Otherwise - he'll need something commissioned based. Has he considered a real estate licence?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:04 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
Amazon FBA?

https://thesellingfamily.com/t.....oday/

Pays a lot (learning curve at the beginning though) and can start with no degree and just take one quick course from the above link before starting.

its not technically pay though - is it? Its running your own business, and hopefully taking home some profit.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:04 pm
I think it is important to consult with a career counselor, or at the least take several career aptitude tests online.

Graphic design, for example, requires creativity, which you did not mention. It's not just a "take this course and be good at it" field. (And depending on how motivated and enterprising you are, it can be very lucrative.)

He may like to become an entrepreneur, and start his own business. That starts slow but can become very rewarding if he is organized, friendly, and a self-starter.

A field like real estate is also potentially very well-paid, but most people don't make that much.

I don't believe that any random office job will be what he is looking for in terms of upwards mobility, although he could do well at any one most probably.

If he is willing to get down and dirty, electricians, mechanics, and plumbers are a well-compensated field, and many would prefer to hire a frum man for those jobs if one is available. The apprenticeship in NY is long, though.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 17 2018, 10:15 pm
Work for a government paid job like a postal worker or a city bus driver. They often pay well.

To become a dental assistant is a 1 yr course and doesn’t require any extra degrees.

Learn to be an ultrasound technician. Takes about 2 yrs if you have a BA in anything already like even Talmudic studies. Pays very nicely.

Work as a secretary in a hospital.
Become a manager of a call centre.
Be a security guard.
Work in an Amazon warehouse.

Look around you when you go out and notice the people working. Think about the job they do and then go online to see how long it takes to learn and how much it pays.
I do that all the time.

Think out of the box.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 10:44 am
Insurance Broker! It's my job, not my husband's, but can be a very lucrative career for a talented young person with incredible room for growth. If your husband is willing to start with a lower salary, see if a local agent is willing to take him in and show him the ropes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics