Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age to start wearing sports bra?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 6:06 am
I so agree with ruchel on this one.

it must be cultural, but where I live NOONE would even concider it. I believe social environment causes women to be differently body concious in different parts of the world.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 9:58 am
Op here again. Thanks for the advice. Firstly, my title was misleading. I meant training bra, as explained earlier with bralette. I see a lot of non-jews with bralettes at a young age, but for some reason I see older girls in my community avoiding wearing bras when they really need one. I see it is still stigmatized and will hold off buying her bralettes. For now, I will make her wear an undershirts underneath

rowo

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 10:16 am
My daughter kept asking for one at around 8 and now at 9, wears one most of the time. She's very sporty and likes the idea of a crop top. She has no need for it yet.
Most of them are cute, girly designs, basically a half undershirt.

I just remembered being so traumatised by the whole ordeal of first bra's. it was so embarrassing and something I wanted to hide. Like someone else mentioned - they see frum girls staring to wear one too late, like it's a negative thing.

If my daughter wanted it and we could discuss it in a fun, lighthearted way, I was happy to go a long with it, after giving it a bit of thought. I feel like we've started the process early, and eased the way to smooth out what can be an awkward puberty right of passage.
(Lol I know I'll regret saying this in a few years time...)

For some reason it's a bit of a shtick with girls in her class and a quite a few of them wear these sports bras. So it's not something other girls would laught at.

Just to provide another view Wink

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 10:18 am
gittylove wrote:
The lingerie shop in Brooklyn sells a undershirt with support ontop. So gr8 for the before bra stage- like age 9-11
7 is way too young.

Those are great! My daughter started wearing them at age nine.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 11:25 am
amother wrote:

Please don’t be neglectful and allow your daughter to go out without an extra layer.
At this age its not about support it’s about smoothing down the points.

Smoothing down the points (wth?) is not a concept. Neglectful, really? Maybe you are pressuring and borderline abusive for making her feel she needs to "cover up" what isn't even a breast yet?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:04 pm
I wouldn't put a 7 year old in a bra, but I do agree that sometimes girls postpone the bra thing for way too late.
It is awkward to see those girls with their developing breast buds so clearly outlined in a thin shirt.
The solution is to just buy regular T shirts that are not so thin, or that have a bit of a design/pattern which provides some coverage. I definitely wouldn't tell my dd that she is showing, I would just hide the thinner shirts and buy her normal ones that don't expose every bump.
I didn't make my girls wear undershirts in the summer, it is too hot for that and there is no need.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:09 pm
Of course I'd remove the transparent or whatever shirts. But seriously, then we wonder why hair is "dirt" instead of cosmetic, why "frum" circles obsess over their body...

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 12:12 pm
I noticed nipples in my underdeveloped little girls only when they wear a plain shell. Their summer tops are mostly patterned and not as thin as a shell so it’s not visible. But when I did notice the issue with the shell, they had no choice other than to wear an undershirt.
A 7 year old in a bra is just ridiculous.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 2:36 pm
When she needs it. Full stop.

Those who are saying seven is way too young obviously didn't go through early puberty. My mother got me a training bra when I was 5, because I was interested in what she was doing and she figured I'd be wearing it the rest of my life anyway. I didn't actually need it then but I was in a B cup by age 8, a C cup at 10, got my period at 10.5, and I don't understand what age has to do with it if a girl is physically developed.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 2:49 pm
I'm sorry amother fuscia for what you went through. But if a girl starts to develope so young that at 5 she needs to wear a training bra, she needs to see a doctor. A 5 year old is a toddler.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 2:59 pm
The question I have is by 'smoothing down the points' is the girl going from 'not tznius' to 'tznius'. Is Rabbi Falk (who I understand to be one of the 'right most' authorities on these matter) concerned about this?

Isn't this just a matter of aesthetics? Or is there a concern that this will draw undo attention from men (ie perhaps a safety issue).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry amother fuscia for what you went through. But if a girl starts to develope so young that at 5 she needs to wear a training bra, she needs to see a doctor. A 5 year old is a toddler.

I've edited to clarify. And as far as I know, and any doctors ever said, I was fine. On the super early end of normal, yes, but fine.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
When she needs it. Full stop.

Those who are saying seven is way too young obviously didn't go through early puberty. My mother got me a training bra when I was 5, because I was interested in what she was doing and she figured I'd be wearing it the rest of my life anyway. I didn't actually need it then but I was in a B cup by age 8, a C cup at 10, got my period at 10.5, and I don't understand what age has to do with it if a girl is physically developed.

I know many children between ages 8-11 getting periods. My sister was a DD at age 11.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:

no.. toddler years by even the most conservative definition would end at 36 months (at 3).

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
I've edited to clarify. And as far as I know, and any doctors ever said, I was fine. On the super early end of normal, yes, but fine.

Girls developing breasts before age 8 is considered precocious puberty by the medical community.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
Girls developing breasts before age 8 is considered precocious puberty by the medical community.

"Puberty usually starts around age 7 1/2 for girls"

https://www.webmd.com/children.....rty#1
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children