Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Newborn photographer brooklyn

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 3:57 pm
Can anyone please give me any recommendations for a newborn photographer in brooklyn that isn’t so pricey?
I would love to do a photoshoot but the prices I’m seeing($500+) is just not affordable!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:22 pm
It's doubtful that you'll find for under $500, unless someone is starting their business and seeking a newborn for practice.

To give you a quick idea about the costs: a newborn session takes 2-4 hours. 1 hour to help parents choose the photos. 1 hour to setup. 1-2 hours of laundry and cleanup and sanitizing. 5 hours of Photoshopping. 1-3 hours of communication with parents about colors, styles, sentimental items they want to bring, etc. 1-2 hours of resizing and sharpening images and ordering prints/albums. 1 hour of backing up images in multiple physical locations and several locations on the cloud.

Then, there's the regular things businesses must do, which most photographers do on their own: marketing, secretarial tasks, accounting, website updates, etc.

There's expensive camera gear, lighting equipment. Many props and backgrounds, etc. Lots of props become unusable after a few washings.

A top of the line computer is a must, and often needs to be replaced every 2-3 years.

As a self employed businesswoman, I pay the double FICA taxes, and of course, my income taxes come out of my income.

There's monthly insurance premiums. I have $2 million in liability and $30K for equipment.

Photographers who produce solid work spent a lot on education and continue to update their education and improve their skills.

So, each session takes me at least 12 hours. If I want to earn just $50 an hour, for example, that does not equate to charging $600, since there are so many expenses in running this kind of business.

If you find a newborn photographer who charges under $500, I wonder if she invested in learning newborn posing safety, if she pays taxes and carries business insurance.

Mazel Tov, and I hope you get beautiful photos!

Last edited by TranquilityAndPeace on Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 4:31 pm
Finkykoenig charges 250
Picture this by raizy charged 300

You could check them out in instagram

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 18 2018, 5:25 pm
Thank you peace and tranquillity for explaining all that to me. Wow! The pricing makes sense now.
And thank you hearty appetite for the suggestions. I checked them out and the pictures look really good. I messaged them and hopefully they’ll get back to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries