Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Recognizing Someone
1  2  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:25 pm
I know this has been asked before, but I want a fresh perspective Smile

If you recognize someone by what she posted, would you let her know?

(Posting anonymously because if I end up telling her, I wouldn't want her to know my screen name, which doesn't sound fair since I know hers. But I really want to keep mine anonymous, and I don't really want to discuss it with her. But maybe it's the right thing to do.

You hear my confusion?? Help Help )

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:30 pm
I recognized someone once. I told her IRL, and I told her my SN because I thought it was only fair.

happyone

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:31 pm
Best to let it go.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:32 pm
I don't think you have to tell someone your SN, just because you recognized her. It was her choice to post what she posted, in the way that she posted it, that lead you to recognize her. You don't owe it to her to out yourself because of her choices.

I don't really care if someone recognizes me, and they don't owe me anything. No one is forcing me to be here on imamother.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:34 pm
Thank You - I will go with "let it go" Bounce

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:44 pm
I recognize two people but I did not tell them.
They should know the Internet is a public place, contrary to the belief in this website, and if they don’t want certain things out in public, they shouldn’t post them under a screen name.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
Thank You - I will go with "let it go" Bounce

OTOH... It might be right to let someone know you recognize them, so they know that if they want to post something of a very private nature, they should go amother.

Slightly off-topic: So many times posters are afraid someone will recognize them on the basis of completely generic and unremarkable details of their lives. Examples:

- I switched from a tichel to a sheitel when my son was ready for a shidduch. I hope I am not outing myself!

- I had 2 kids after I turned 35. Anon because I don't want to out myself.

- I am trying to get my daughter into kindergarten in Lakewood, but there in no room! I would say more buy I am afraid everybody already knows who I am.

chicco

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:39 pm
While those examples are generic, all those little details do add up. Some times people can have a hunch, and then a small generic post with any details can really clinch it. Or at least add to the suspicion...

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 1:51 pm
I found out both people by putting tog innocence details.

On day they wrote they moved to ———, next time they write their brother got married a month ago and divorced.

Then they wrote that their teenage son moved out of the home and isn’t on speaking terms.

Etc

I pick up little details quickly, I’m very observant and started noticing hey, that sounds like my cousin, or neighbor, friends sister, etc,

It’s not so hard

iyar

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
I found out both people by putting tog innocence details.

On day they wrote they moved to ———, next time they write their brother got married a month ago and divorced.

Then they wrote that their teenage son moved out of the home and isn’t on speaking terms.

Etc

I pick up little details quickly, I’m very observant and started noticing hey, that sounds like my cousin, or neighbor, friends sister, etc,

It’s not so hard

Not so hard?? Scratching Head
You actually remember who said what when?
Can't say the same.
The question is are most imamothers like you or like me?

simba

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:21 pm
iyar wrote:
Not so hard?? Scratching Head
You actually remember who said what when?
Can't say the same.
The question is are most imamothers like you or like me?

Make a poll! I'm like you. Almost to a fault. Because I don't know people personally I don't store any info based on their SN.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:36 pm
simba wrote:
Make a poll! I'm like you. Almost to a fault. Because I don't know people personally I don't store any info based on their SN.

I recognize people because of their voice.

simba

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
I recognize people because of their voice.

Huh?

iyar

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:46 pm
simba wrote:
Huh?

I think she's trying to tell me I sound the same in real life as I do here.
Which makes a certain amount of sense because I say the same type of things here as I do IRL.
Or maybe she was trying to tell that to you. Wink

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:49 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't think you have to tell someone your SN, just because you recognized her. It was her choice to post what she posted, in the way that she posted it, that lead you to recognize her. You don't owe it to her to out yourself because of her choices.

I don't really care if someone recognizes me, and they don't owe me anything. No one is forcing me to be here on imamother.

Someone messaged me saying really nasty things to me, and included my name - with its unusual spelling - and certain details about my life. She was obviously a close family member but she refused to tell me who she was. I thought that was rude and completely inappropriate. If she chose to tell me that she knows who I am, she should say who she is. If she didn’t want to, she shouldn’t have messaged me. It was apparent that she was enjoying the freedom to be mean to me because she was anonymous.

simba

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 4:52 pm
iyar wrote:
I think she's trying to tell me I sound the same in real life as I do here.
Which makes a certain amount of sense because I say the same type of things here as I do IRL.
Or maybe she was trying to tell that to you. Wink

Kinda creepy!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:02 pm
simba wrote:
Kinda creepy!

I don't know you IRL, so I can't match up Simba with you.

But I recognized quite a few people because they sound the same as they do IRL. It is almost like they are an author writing under a pseudonym. Their style is recognizable.

iyar

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know you IRL, so I can't match up Simba with you.

But I recognized quite a few people because they sound the same as they do IRL. It is almost like they are an author writing under a pseudonym. Their style is recognizable.

Like I said Simba... Smile

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:22 pm
I would want to be told if someone recognized me through my screen name. But as Dr Mom said, you can’t be certain you are right. There are probably hundreds of women who can match a description such as mother of two toddler boys who recently moved to Lakewood, had a sibling’s wedding this year and works from home. Or got married older, is married to a physician, and recently went on vacation.

I can’t say I could recognize a voice in writing, unless it is very unique. There are people here who can match anon posts to a username. It’s an interesting skill.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 8:33 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I would want to be told if someone recognized me through my screen name. But as Dr Mom said, you can’t be certain you are right. There are probably hundreds of women who can match a description such as mother of two toddler boys who recently moved to Lakewood, had a sibling’s wedding this year and works from home. Or got married older, is married to a physician, and recently went on vacation.

I can’t say I could recognize a voice in writing, unless it is very unique. There are people here who can match anon posts to a username. It’s an interesting skill.

I catch plagiarism all the time at work. I know when someone's voice is different than I am used to.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette