Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Being forced to pay membership at an illegal shul
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:18 am
Leaving the legality of the shul aside, I don’t see how they can obligate people to support it financially. They can call it a membership organization that charges dues and deny entry to non-members but I don’t see where even a BD can obligate people to support it, either financially or by attending services. Last time I checked the US was not a theocracy and a BD has no legal power. This is extortion, plain and simple. How do you say “religious mafia” in Yiddish?

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:24 am
It's hooey. Stop worrying about what you hear over the gossip mill OP.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:29 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Thank you for the advice to speak to the Rav of our current shul. Noted.

I have NO problem with my husband davening there (from time to time). I DO have a problem with paying money there though. It's like paying money to a backyard camp or a home daycare that is over ratio and not licensed.... not that the house needs to be modified with fewer than 20 guys walking there--they don't need a parking lot for pete's sake--- but the $$ being raised in a house--- there are rules for synagogues and I really have trouble calling someone's house a synagogue. For that matter there is a family in our neighborhood with a pool--- an actual inground pool-- the kind that costs many thousands to install. They're a kollel family BTW so don't ask me where that money came from. They charge. They make a ton of money from people coming to use their pool. There is all sorts of stuff going on in our community that makes me nuts.

Did they buy the house with the pool? A lot of people choose to keep the pool, hopefully make money off it (some may do it legally too), and avoid spending thousands on filling it and landscaping.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
It's hooey. Stop worrying about what you hear over the gossip mill OP.

This.

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:55 am
OP, I think you heard a rumor about a beis din being set up forcing everyone to pay, but it will NEVER be a reality. I'm sure it's frustrating to even hear such an absurd idea, but they're is no way on earth this will actually come to pass. Also, as someone mentioned above, if it's a small house minyan, what are the dues for? Normally dues yo towards rabbi's salary, utilities, taxes, maintenance and repairs ect. None of these apply. Again, what are the dues for?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:05 am
Not sure why this is your problem. Let your dh decide what he wants to tell them.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
Not sure why this is your problem. Let your dh decide what he wants to tell them.

Because IF this is really a true thing coming from BD, its quite scary to imagine what else they can force people in the kehilla to do (with out halachic precedence).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:43 am
watergirl wrote:
Because IF this is really a true thing coming from BD, its quite scary to imagine what else they can force people in the kehilla to do (with out halachic precedence).

They can't force anything because no one will back them. So they can say whatever they want about anyone who doesn't do what they say, but no other respected BD will take is seriously. So it's meaningless.

I have no idea where op is, but I have major doubts about any of this actually being true.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:52 am
What's illegal?
Mandated to close by hygiene/security?
Or simply in an apartment?
My parents considered moving in a place where the sefer Torah is in an apartment. There are costs, despite what we think. For ex it needs to be big enough. Buying the sefer. Or shlepping it if there isn't one. FTR we don't pay our (very much open) shul but some more private places may be paid. Also if they don't get support from the rabbinate then, costs. And if there's a rabbi that isn't sent by rabbinate? cost.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions