Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato kugel

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 6:01 am
Does anyone know a good way to freeze potato kugel so that it tastes fresh? And how to defrost? I like doing things in advance, but not if it’s not going to taste as good!

tulips12

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 7:32 am
Either pour some water on it when it's frozen cover and reheat it. It becomes like overnight kugel. Or defrost at room temperature and then bake until it's hot.
I do that sometimes and it works for my family

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 7:44 am
Thanks! I’d live to try the water and reheat, Imdo you know specific amount of water? , temp? Bake time?

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 9:37 am
put the potato kugel straight in the oven with a pan of water on bottom rack. first bake it on 350 and then lower to 220 overnight.

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:08 am
So sorry! Not following! If kugel is in a 9x13, uncover, fill with water, as in water directly on kugel?

Also 350 for how long before lowering the temp

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:24 am
no, I dont pour water over the kugel but I actually make potato kugel with boiling water. I bake it covered for abt 1/2 hr and lower. fyi this is how I make my potato kugel. tastes like kiddush kugel.
5 lb potatoes, peeled
1 large onion
8 large egg
1 cup oil
½ cup boiling water
1½ Tbsp salt
⅛ tsp black pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grate the potatoes and onion. Mix in the eggs, oil and boiling water. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the potato mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 2 hours, uncovered.
After 2 hours, cover tightly with 3 layers of foil. Place a pan filled with water on the bottom rack of water. Lower oven temperature to 220F and bake 8 hours or overnight.

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 11:53 am
Sorry I got confused because I was talking about a kugel already made, frozen, just how to reheat it ..

But this does sound delicious!
I’m also confused because I thought you said you bake it for half hour then lower it. When wrote recipe you said 2 hours then lower.

I’m assuming the baking for half hour on 350 and lowering it overnight is if it’s frozen.

The 2 hour on 350 then lowering overnight is if making fresh?

Pan of water on lower rack of oven under pan of potato kugel?

tulips12

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 4:57 pm
ChasdeiHashem1 wrote:
Thanks! I’d live to try the water and reheat, Imdo you know specific amount of water? , temp? Bake time?

I'm not sure. I think approximately one cup for a 9x13. I just add water and check to see when it looks ready.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes