Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Recognizing Someone
Previous  1  2

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jul 19 2018, 11:39 pm
Re: telling someone's writing style: how do you know that you're right or is it just confirmation bias?

Are you confirming with the poster or are you just assuming that you're right because you "know"?

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 12:10 am
WhatFor wrote:
Re: telling someone's writing style: how do you know that you're right or is it just confirmation bias?

Are you confirming with the poster or are you just assuming that you're right because you "know"?

I know I am very good at detecting voices. I can pick up plagiarism even when it is a sentence or two. I can get real confirmation by putting the sentence in a google search. I haven't been wrong yet at work.

I have had actual confirmation of one poster who changed her user name who is now actively on a thead mourning her loss ironically.

I figured out one amother IRL who was having problems with her sister zexually flirting with her husband based on her voice. I spoke to her one on one IRL and told her to put an end to it. She admitted it was her.

I figured out another amother from my shul who was having problems with her oldest also based on her voice. We discussed the situation, but I didn't tell her I recognized her. She thinks I am incredibly insightful. It was like I read her diary. I knew so many details that were unique to the situation.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:38 am
amother wrote:

I figured out another amother from my shul who was having problems with her oldest also based on her voice. We discussed the situation, but I didn't tell her I recognized her. She thinks I am incredibly insightful. It was like I read her diary. I knew so many details that were unique to the situation.

shock

Anyone thinks this is okay?[I]

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:42 am
Maya wrote:
Someone messaged me saying really nasty things to me, and included my name - with its unusual spelling - and certain details about my life. She was obviously a close family member but she refused to tell me who she was. I thought that was rude and completely inappropriate. If she chose to tell me that she knows who I am, she should say who she is. If she didn’t want to, she shouldn’t have messaged me. It was apparent that she was enjoying the freedom to be mean to me because she was anonymous.

Well that's just plain nasty! I think you should take something like that up with Yael. The person should be penalized for doing something like that.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:42 am
amother wrote:
I know I am very good at detecting voices. I can pick up plagiarism even when it is a sentence or two. I can get real confirmation by putting the sentence in a google search. I haven't been wrong yet at work.

I have had actual confirmation of one poster who changed her user name who is now actively on a thead mourning her loss ironically.

I figured out one amother IRL who was having problems with her sister zexually flirting with her husband based on her voice. I spoke to her one on one IRL and told her to put an end to it. She admitted it was her.

Gosh shock ! I hope you don’t know me then!!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:44 am
amother wrote:

It's great that you are so insightful and detail-oriented - it's a gift. (mis)using that to tell people what to do, or pretending to be more than you are, is likely g'neivas daas. There's an olam haemes where they might not be so impressed with this.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 8:46 am
BTW I was once "recognized" on this site to be someone I never heard of, by my writing style.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:

I'm terrible at it. But it was extremely easy to pick up who you are.

Are these people you know IRL? Or are you just a stalker?

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
I'm terrible at it. But it was extremely easy to pick up who you are.

Are these people you know IRL? Or are you just a stalker?

I am pretty sure I also know who that another is. Not IRL but her screen name, from the way she writes.
And I know who she is talking about on the thread mourning/missing posters.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
I am pretty sure I also know who that another is. Not IRL but her screen name, from the way she writes.

Me three.
This poster has mentioned (boasted?) a lot of times how she can figure other Imas out.

pause

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:

And do you think she's right about this one? I, for one, don't agree but it's not like I'd have confirmation either way.

tf

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
I found out both people by putting tog innocence details.

On day they wrote they moved to ———, next time they write their brother got married a month ago and divorced.

Then they wrote that their teenage son moved out of the home and isn’t on speaking terms.

Etc

I pick up little details quickly, I’m very observant and started noticing hey, that sounds like my cousin, or neighbor, friends sister, etc,

It’s not so hard

Why would you pay attention to these details. Even if I do happen to notice something, I try to force myself not to keep the focus on it and turn my attention to something more important really quick and definitely not mention it to the other person. I am ashamed to do it, with the assumption that it's called being nosy. I know many will disagree with the last sentence, but if a person feels someone else notices this then the brain automatically converts it to "she knows everything about everyone else". I'm not interested, and it helps keep people's information where it belongs -to themselves.

tf

Post Fri, Jul 20 2018, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
shock

Anyone thinks this is okay?[I]

Not. At. All.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette