Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What are your kids who are fasting doing today?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 8:02 am
My son claims his friends are playing video games all day today, and I’d prefer he doesn’t spend the whole Tisha bav doing that. He will likely be busy until around chatzos and has some ideas to keep himself busy, but it’s a long day. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

littleprincess

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 8:44 am
We got 2 new boxes of playmobil and my son said he can keep the little ones busy for hours with all the playmobil . Waiting for him to come home from shul. In the meantime baby napping and the others children are at neighbours .

N'sMom

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 8:49 am
Watching tisha b'av programs online, napping....

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 8:59 am
Fasting is hard. If your kid is playing video games to get through the fast it's really not that different from you (or me!) being on here. If they are fasting (or trying to) that is GREAT. Focus on praising then for that and do the best YOU can do to commemorate the day. Do not micromanage it will backfire, imho.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Fasting is hard. If your kid is playing video games to get through the fast it's really not that different from you (or me!) being on here. If they are fasting (or trying to) that is GREAT. Focus on praising then for that and do the best YOU can do to commemorate the day. Do not micromanage it will backfire, imho.

I agree to an extent. He knows I never like him playing video games all day... and he’s still young enough to need some guidance. That’s why I want to have ideas that are somewhat “enjoyable” but still feel more appropriate for the day. I know he won’t particularly go for inspirational videos which is why I wouldn’t push those.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 9:15 am
There is chazaq, hidabroot videos or wonder words (212) 444-1119 or tic talk I dont have their number.
7182582008 chofetz chaim heritage.
I don't want to be nasty but the Imamother that sent her kid to the neighbor I don't think that's a fair thing to do because people have a hard time saying no but the fact is that a fast day is not a day to send children to other people because you don't know how they're feeling or if they're up to it physically or emotionally

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
There is chazaq, hidabroot videos or wonder words (212) 444-1119 or tic talk I dont have their number.
7182582008 chofetz chaim heritage.
I don't want to be nasty but the Imamother that sent her kid to the neighbor I don't think that's a fair thing to do because people have a hard time saying no but the fact is that a fast day is not a day to send children to other people because you don't know how they're feeling or if they're up to it physically or emotionally

I would have no issue my son having a kid over to play today. Saves me entertaining him.

My teens are reading, going to shul, more reading.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 9:33 am
Shul, reading, sleeping, listening/watching Tisha Bav Lectures

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 9:57 am
My in his 30s husband survives Tisha b'Av by playing video games from chatzos till the end. We were actually talking last night over which is harder, I said TB is harder he said YK is harder because electronic distraction is not an option like it is on TB. We all have to do what we need to get through the fast. And your son is not playing video games "all day" if he's doing other things till chatzos. Let it go, be glad he takes the day seriously enough and is fasting.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 10:37 am
amother wrote:
My in his 30s husband survives Tisha b'Av by playing video games from chatzos till the end. We were actually talking last night over which is harder, I said TB is harder he said YK is harder because electronic distraction is not an option like it is on TB. We all have to do what we need to get through the fast. And your son is not playing video games "all day" if he's doing other things till chatzos. Let it go, be glad he takes the day seriously enough and is fasting.

What can I say, I disagree. He is very open to different ideas. Once he’s an adult he will make his own decisions, but there’s no reason not to have other options available for him. I don’t push him, but as a parent I have responsibility to give him the opportunity to understand the day without turning it into a negative experience. My husband reads and watches non Jewish books and movies on Tisha bav and he’s free to do that, but he doesn’t do it in front of the kids.

nosher

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 10:40 am
Can you play board games with your son? Boggle? Othello? Monopoly? The classics keep my kids busy for a while.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 1:02 pm
I donated to Project Inspire and dd and I watched the R Meir Schuster video together online.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 1:33 pm
My 11 year old did until chatzos. I let her be because fasting is awful. She did well bh, stayed in bed with her fan. She learned about tba in school so I didn't push it.

icebreaker

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 1:38 pm
Complaining about being hungry.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 2:13 pm
Is noone spending a few minutes talking to their children about the purpose of the day?
I sit on the floor and talk about the churban. I'm not very learned so I read from an english book meam loez by kaplan. Also the younger children appreciated yisroel greenwalds childrens book about moshiach.
From 3yr old and up they have something to gain.
This way if the rest of the day I'm in survival mode I know they started the day with the right mindset.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 22 2018, 4:12 pm
I don't sit on the floor. I need to keep a functional spine rofl.
The kids have learned about it in school. It's better if you can talk about it, but as long as they know, I think it's ok if some years you don't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children