Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
On the verge of a nervous breakdown over tuition
  1  2  3  13  14  15  Next

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 9:04 am
Why is Yeshiva tuition much Mad more expensive then girls high school, and seminary. Why??

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 9:10 am
seminaries are pretty expensive now, and I doubt theyll go lower...
are you asking about a mesivta or zal?
the mesivtas ive heard about are less expensive than seminaries... Confused

queen

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:21 am
sending a girl to seminary (israel) after tuition, spending money, clothing, and airfare is hard to come in below 15 thousand dollars........

crazy or what????
how much is the tuition you're talking about freilich?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 10:53 am
Oh alright then its the same but why is it so expensive anyway. Question
I mean how people survive sending 3 or more kids to Yeshiva. From one person I heard thats what credit cards are for shock thats crazy you are constantly in debt then, or there has to be a second income and even then the average person just cuts it.
Why why why can't it be more reasonable. I have set my husbands mind at work maybe we should start our own just for our kids, prob is who would want to come to uhupesville Confused

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 11:54 am
Quote:
maybe we should start our own just for our kids,

freilich, this is being done in quite a few places already. not such a farfetched idea. and if the learning and atmospheres is very good, parents dont mind sending to yahoopitzville or paying a reasonable amount for it.

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 12:39 pm
Freilich, a lot of people prefer yehupetzville for a yeshiva - less distractions for the boys. So start working on your yeshiva!

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 2:43 pm
Hm not that simple 8) but I'll work on my husband and who knows one day we won't be yehupesville (look at the 3 diff spelling LOL ). But a place where we are known to garner great yeshiva students What

timeout

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 5:49 pm
My son is starting Yeshivah this September and when we went to the meeting about tuition I expected the Rabbi to understand that we're not millionaires and still have to send our son to a good Yeshivah and be able to pay our bills at the same time.

I was in for a surprise he basically said we can either pay X amount or send him to a different Yeshivah.

Well that's where the credit cards came in and the stress is beginning, my husband and I have always had a good relationship yet since we have started paying we've been strained I hope that it will get better and I'll get used to this so we can go back to normal.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 6:11 pm
sad to say, the administrations of most schools know who they can force to pay more money and who they can't. A school costs a lot to run and with no help from the government, the expenses per pupil are incredible. So if a family is on scholarship or the parent teaches in the school or whatever, some other family needs to take on that burden and the administration is the one who decides who will pay what.

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 6:15 pm
timeout wrote:
My son is starting Yeshivah this September and when we went to the meeting about tuition I expected the Rabbi to understand that we're not millionaires and still have to send our son to a good Yeshivah and be able to pay our bills at the same time.
I was in for a surprise he basically said we can either pay X amount or send him to a different Yeshivah.

Timeout, I had the same sort of experiences in NY Yeshivos and Bais Yaakovs. They set the tuition really high and then give a bit of a scholarship after you sit there begging - which I really hate! The end result is still very expensive. I'm wondering what tuition costs in other places, here it is runs to between $4,000 to $6,000 per child Crying

timeout

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:04 pm
yep I got quoted $6,000 and got a scholarship for $5,000 which is still astronomical for us. Since I had my baby who's already a year I've stopped working and would like to keep it that way till she's in playgroup but it's going to be a tight year.

My brother and sister in laws who send to Chassidishe schools only have to pay $2,000 I wonder why that is?

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:17 pm
And then we r told our home is our priority. I am sure that if the Lubavitcher Rebbe was w/h us today he would put a stop to the astronomical costs concerning yeshivahs and camp. I am so mad I don't need a husband pressured, so I'm working. Why why why Mad I don't even mind doing volunteer work for the yeshiva like bulletins, fundraising etc.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:26 pm
I work in a Yeshiva, and I know that the tuition is set that if parents would pay it, the school would not be in debt. Of course most of them can't, but I can say for sure that the tuition is reasonable considering the cost of running the institution.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:29 pm
They get absolutley no government help? Also I'm including dorm costs too.

timeout

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:39 pm
There's 3 classes of my sons class and 25-27 kids per class the way the principal was speaking and the letters we received regarding tuition makes it seem like either you pay or your son gets pulled out.

So if all the children are paying this amount it does seem like the schools are being paid and I know teachers are always saying they are not paid on time so where is the money going busing I'm paying seperately for and the classrooms looked so overcrowded.

The only reason I'm sending him this coming year is because my husband pressured me into it. My son was in Yeled V'yalda headstart this year and is having a wonderful time breakfast and lunch is provided they go on one trip a week have different activities with a full library, music area, and warm Heimishe teachers, and did I mention it's FREE Very Happy .

My husband has it stuck in his head that at 4 our son must start Yeshivah or else he'll lose out, maybe he's right I've never had to deal with Yeshivah so I don't know.

roza

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:42 pm
I agree with hisorerus, the price is reasonable. the problem is that most ppl can not make enough money, they don't have high paying job.
those yeshivos who don't demand money from parents, have no money to pay their teachers, I have seen that too.

Last edited by roza on Tue, Jun 21 2005, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 7:52 pm
timeout wrote:

My husband has it stuck in his head that at 4 our son must start Yeshivah or else he'll lose out, maybe he's right I've never had to deal with Yeshivah so I don't know.

My daughter had a girl join her class in pre-1a (age 5) who missed kindergarten (age 4) and she had a very hard time in school. kindergarten teaches how to sit still and learn and if you can't do that then you can't learn to read.
Her classroom is also very small and she has 30 kids in the class. I am happy with the education and the teachers are great and they have a lot of assistants but it is very crowded.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 8:05 pm
This sort of touches on the 'out of town' phenomenon. My husband is a rabbi and I'm a nurse. Obviously not millionaires, not even a 6 figure salary. Our total tuition bill at one school for last year (for only 5 of our kids, ka'h) was $12,000 shock . I think there is more tuition assistance in the city, at least that is what I hear. The other thing that makes me crazy is the schools will take kids that are very borderline about going to yeshiva for free or for a token donation (no matter what the income) while those of us who wouldn't send our kids to public school (or one of the non-frum Jewish schools) and have large families pay a lot. It's a mitzvah to give these kids a Jewish education but hmmm - hard to feel like it's on the back of those who are already struggling. ESPECIALLY when some of these kids' are living at a higher standard than we are - but the parents have different spending habits and a different mentality of what is 'necessary'. I've had parents tell me they are paying $100/month, yet can go on vacation, buy a new car, etc. Different priorities. I know it is a hard thing raising the funds for the school, but it is hard not to feel resentful. At one point when I wasn't working, the original (with scholarship!) fee they wanted was 1/4 of our take home pay!

chavamom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 8:20 pm
Oh, a few other things. There was a recent article in HaModia that was actually talking about the shortage of housing in frum areas and the outrageous cost. It mentioned that the rise in housing in frum areas has outpaced the rise in most other areas (location, location, location) coupled with the fact that young frum couples rarely have the option of moving out to 'yehupitzville' while non-Jewish families do. Anyway, they mentioned that donations to all Jewish educational institutions have been down for the past five years and you can tie it to the rise in the cost of housing. Basically, donations are down b/c people are spending so much more on housing for themselves and the children they are trying to help get started.

I have also read several articles that have been critical of how once the children are out of school, often parents and alumni (and older people in the community) are not good about supporting the schools. The proposed a self imposed 'ma'aser tax' from the communities as a takana - a certain % of your ma'aser would be designated to go to schools in your community. It sounded like a good idea to me! They claimed in the article that this was done in Europe.

Oh, another sore point with funding - in the East, the federations give to the frum schools in many areas. Here the amount they give to the frum schools is a joke. The justification is that frum people consitute 'x[small]%' of the community, so they say that they shouldn't get more than a small %. A few years ago they gave I think $60,000 max to the frum schools while the newly founded Reform Jewish academy, which at the time had *five* students $2.5 MILLION. They have to disclose each year where the money went and it is always scandalous.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 22 2005, 2:20 am
Federation doesn't give much to schools in the East either, unless things have radically changed in the last 4 years. I used to work in the administration of a Bais Yaakov in New York, and we got maybe $150 per child. And for that we had to fill out ten forms.

Schools are really choking. Elementary schools especially don't get many outside donations, government help is limited to lunches, textbooks and maybe pre-k if the school has been approved for that, and where else should they get money from if not from the parents? The teachers have to be paid, the heating bills have to be paid, the building has to be maintained in some way, paper, copy machines, chalk and so on. Who should pay for this?

Did you know that in Lakewood - and I'm speaking five years ago, when I noticed this - the minimum tuition per child was something like $3,000, with a $500 reduction for kollel people. No reductions - beg, borrow or steal. Sounds cruel, but the alternative is crueler - no schools.
Page 1 of 15   1  2  3  13  14  15  Next Recent Topics