Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Organizing on a budget

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:23 am
I follow all these professional organizers on IG. Aside from paying the organizer you also have to pay for all the supplies/boxes/containers which could amount to a small fortune.

Has anyone organized their house/playroom/kitchen/storage using stuff from the dollar store or the like ?

Queen6

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:25 am
Yes you do not need to buy expensive containers. Anything works. Also keep in mind many times the containers become your enemy. That creates too much stuff in your closets and cabinets.... Start by throwing out what you don;t need or use, stop shopping, and then just try to organize what you are left with. It doesn't have to be so fancy.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:26 am
Organizing does not have to be an expensive project. Check out the YouTube channel Do It On a Dime, she specializes in dollar store organizing ideas.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:44 am
I used an organizer and she was amazing, but it ended up costing about $4,000. Now that I used her, I have an idea of how to do things. But I never would have thought of any of these ideas if I didn’t see her in action. And I’m pretty organized.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:49 am
I've done it myself.
What sort of space are you trying to organize? What sort of items? Do you have storage spaces that need organizing or do you need to create storage ftom scratch?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 12:04 pm
I follow organizers on IG and get ideas from them.

I bought a lot of containers from Amazon and the dollar sterilite shoe box containers from Target. I used also cheap fridge and freezer containers from Amazing Savings. As for my pantry instead of buying the expensive OXO food storage containers I got off brands that work just as well. I also got a big pack of chalkboard labels (instead of a label maker) on amazon to label everything.

Then I purged and organized. Once I was done I hired an organizer for one hour and she went through everything and helped me with what I still needed to get done and placed other things in better places to make more room ect.

It cost be about $400 in all.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 12:52 pm
Of course. I collect boxes and containers of all kinds, including pill bottles, clear clamshell baked goods containers, shoe boxes, tissue boxes, you name it. Once upon a time I would cover them with matching ConTact but now I don’t bother. Any time I need to reorganize, out come the boxes. I use different sizes and shapes to suit the space and what it needs to hold. Before recycling anything I consider what sort of things it could contain.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 1:25 pm
Yes, we use containers from Walmart and Amazon. I never thought about hiring an organizer and probably never would because of the cost (and because I don’t like to talk to people when I’m organizing!)

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 2:14 pm
I looked at various containers and found the best value for my money at Target. I bought some cubes at the dollar store but they didn't last, and ended up back at Target. I'm good at organizing, I just need enough time to get the job done. I'm very happy with what dh and I were able to accomplish together, and don't think a professional organizer or fancier boxes would have contributed in a really significant way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics