Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
ISO Oat Challah recipe with minimal ingredients

cbg

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 5:49 am
FOR Health reasons
To be used only for hamotzi on Shabbat, minimum.
Not too concerned if it’s heavy

I once saw a recipe that took oats and ground it to flour in the food processor

No other starches. Can’t have rice, tapioca, potato, etc.
Preferably no zanthar gum

TIA

mandksima

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:12 am
Sometimes I will just make my own oat matzah for hamotzei. Takes a very short amount of time and tastes good with dips especially. I measure any amount of oat flour (yes, you can grind your own from oats), add a dash salt and slowly add water until it's a doughy consistency. It needs very little water so add a few drops and mix.

I roll out as thinly as possible between two parchment papers and bake. You can poke holes around like real matzah. Watch it in the oven, it doesn't take long.

I forgot to make oat pita the other week and remembered less than 1 hour before Shabbat. That recipe has too many ingredients and this matzah took no time at all.

Just an idea, sorry I don't have an easy or simple oat challah recipe as I stopped using yeast.

cbg

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 2:59 pm
mandksima wrote:
Sometimes I will just make my own oat matzah for hamotzei. Takes a very short amount of time and tastes good with dips especially. I measure any amount of oat flour (yes, you can grind your own from oats), add a dash salt and slowly add water until it's a doughy consistency. It needs very little water so add a few drops and mix.

I roll out as thinly as possible between two parchment papers and bake. You can poke holes around like real matzah. Watch it in the oven, it doesn't take long.

I forgot to make oat pita the other week and remembered less than 1 hour before Shabbat. That recipe has too many ingredients and this matzah took no time at all.

Just an idea, sorry I don't have an easy or simple oat challah recipe as I stopped using yeast.

Thanks for the idea, but for us matza is mezonot

Mishmish

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:36 pm
I do not have formal recipe with quantities, but I make oat challah using rolled oats that I grind in a blender dry container. In addition, I use sorghum flour. So it’s roughly the same amounts of oat flour and sorghum flour (I use a little more oat than sorghum), salt and sugar to taste (could use another sweetener or omit), water, and 1-2 packets of active dry yeast (depending on how large the batch is). I make small loaves in pans, which I find works better. The consistency is of a thick batter, not a dough that one would knead. Bake on 375 (if in US). It comes out nicely. I often top with minced onions/olive oil/salt before baking. It works well with raisins also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus