Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you let someone else nurse your baby?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 12:10 pm
If my baby has never had formula then giving it is a risk as it's a lot harsher on the tummy, furthermore breast milk from a human is intended for human babies and us more compatible than cows milk or soya is.

Breast milk has benefits (for mom and baby)that formula doesn't and formula does carry risks of developing allergy, obesity etc whether anecdotally your child is fine.

In terms of hygiene and studies and risks, As mentioned above, remedia was responsible for the death of several babies a few years ago.
There are so many studies that support breast milk being better, I can't be bothered to find it, if anyone wants to stay wilfully ignorant please goo ahead, or educate yourself. It is a matter of fact, not feeling.

And as somebody mentioned above, feelings do play a part in most decisions we make, but I answered what would be right for my family and my kids.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 12:32 pm
When my baby was in the nicu, there was a mom there who was on abx so she had to pump & dump for her preemie. the nicu insisted that baby gets breastmilk so they took from the general milk bank. mom was a little uncomfortable as milk was most likely coming from non jewish mothers. so as I had extra (at that point!) I offered, but hospital didn't allow as milk needs to be screened first... (but its ok if I give say, drugs for my own baby Rolling Eyes)
So sometimes you don't even have a choice in the matter & your kid needs to get milk from some unknown woman Sad.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 12:37 pm
Amother indigo, when the nicu gives donated breast milk, they screen the milk to make sure it's clean.
Amother blush, you are right, breast is best for mom & baby. That means a mom & her own baby. Her breast isn't best for a baby that's not hers.

YoYo

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 1:43 pm
I would be honored to nurse another woman's child.
And, if my baby needed it, I'd much prefer he/she nurses from another mother than receive formula.

But I see I'm in the minority, at least in the imamother world. Interesting!

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 1:45 pm
YoYo my I ask why you would prefer your baby nurse from another women to giving formula?

YoYo

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 1:53 pm
I avoid processed foods in my family's diet almost completely. Formula is something I really don't want my baby to ingest. BH I have plentiful, rich milk, so I've never needed to use formula.

I know for many women, and babies it is a necessity, but personally it is something I prefer to avoid.

princessleah

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 4:09 pm
What's with all these references to not giving a baby milk from a non-Jewish woman? From what I've read it's PREFERABLE to give from a Jewish woman because of spiritual reasons, it's not against halacha, and it's certainly not unkosher!

rachel6543

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 4:48 pm
I did not read all the replies yet. I personally wouldn’t let someone else nurse my baby unless it was an absolute absolute emergency and I knew their health history. Diseases CAN be passed through breastmilk, like HIV. And medications can be passed through breastmilk too.

I will say I did donate lots of breastmilk to several local mommies in my area, all complete strangers! Last year I had an oversupply of milk for several months and kept running out of freezer space. I find it crazy in a way someone will take milk from a stranger. But I can say, I am very careful about hygiene when pumping and storing milk. And I did disclose to every mommy my health history so they knew what breastfeeding compatible medication I was taking when I pumped. I’m glad I was able to help out so many mommies, but I don’t personally think I would accept donated milk from someone else.

soap suds

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 8:57 pm
princessleah wrote:
What's with all these references to not giving a baby milk from a non-Jewish woman? From what I've read it's PREFERABLE to give from a Jewish woman because of spiritual reasons, it's not against halacha, and it's certainly not unkosher!

Isn't there something about Moshe Rabeinu not wanting to nurse from Basya? Wasn't it because she wasn't Jewish?

kenz

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 9:11 pm
OP asked about letting another woman nurse your baby. I'm not sure why so many posters responded about using donated breastmilk. That is not the same thing. When my baby was in the NICU and I was recovering from an emergency C-section I wasn't getting enough milk by pumping in the beginning. The NICU wouldn't let me bring breastmilk from a relative but insisted my baby get milk from the bank they use, b/c that milk is very thoroughly cleansed and checked. My initial reaction was "ew" but I recognized that if breastmilk really is the preferred choice, especially for a preemie, of course I wanted my baby to have that advantage if possible. My baby got formula too, but the doctors felt breastmilk was essential to catching up.
If someone had just taken my baby and tried to nurse directly, however, I would not have been okay with that at all.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jul 24 2018, 11:09 pm
My mother was once called by someone if she can nurse a newborn who's mother died, and was refusing to bottle feed.
She did breastfeed that baby for a couple days until it got used to being bottle fed.

In such a situation or similar I wouldn't think twice.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics