Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbos Nachamu embarrassment!!!!!!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:23 pm
You will never believe it.... We are staying home for Shabbos Nachamu! Can you imagine the embarrassment? We will have to sleep in our own comfortable beds, eat our own delicious meals and spend time in our own cozy home with our own adorable family. Please don't tell anyone though, I'm worried it'll make us look bad for shidduchim and all...

But really, why is it that everyone feels the need to go away shabbos Nachamu? They are willing to shlep their entire house, drive a few hours with kvetchy kids, just to be in a who- knows -what- condition hotel, in uncomfortable beds, with the whole family in one cramped room all shabbos long, just to be able to say they did something?? There have been countless threads recently asking for ideas of where to go... Just curious what everyone's reasoning is?

esuss

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:26 pm
I am joining you in your embarrassing activity. We are doing the same thing. Staying home and we are even skipping concerts!

simba

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:26 pm
Have you no Jewish blood in you at all?
We have an Invader!

happymom123

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:27 pm
This must be a minhag my family never had, can someone enlighten me? Why shabbos nachamu?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:29 pm
Is this a NY/NJ thing? This concept doesn't exist where I live.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:33 pm
I stay home - but to get that 'go away feeling' we heat our choulent on a hotplate in our bedroom.

amother
Magenta

I'm with you, most people I know are not going away. None of my family or neighbors are going away. Maybe it's a New York thing?

Kiwi13

I never heard of this “minhag,” but in my 20’s I heard about Shabbos Nachamu singles shabbtons, so I assumed it was a dating thing. This is the first year in learning it’s a “thing” to randomly vacation on Shabbos Nachamu. I even got some emails about it from random event organizers. Sounds fun. Not practical for us personally, but if it was we’d go for sure!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
I stay home - but to get that 'go away feeling' we heat our choulent on a hotplate in our bedroom.

LOL LOL

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:40 pm
Op, I’ve arranged an underground bunker for all stayhome people to hide out during shabbos so others don’t find us in the city.
But this is extremely anonymous for obvious reason so please use caution.

You can email me privately at howcanwebestaying@home

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:49 pm
So now, in order to be a truly frum Jew, one HAS to travel for Pesach and Shabes Nachamu.

What is next?
Sukkos Glamping?
Chanukah ski trips?

happyone

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:53 pm
That makes two of us . I'm staying home happily. I bet I'll be babysitting an empty block . Trust me ill enjoy the tranquility of my own backyard . My own clean linens and real food I handpicked (I didnt say handcooked) by me and mine.
Oh, and I pick the company I want . No need to share dining space with a stuck up, Or noisy, or messy, or maybe pleasant guest at the next table. And no need to dress up for anyone but my own husband .
What a pleasure . Feel free to join this elite club.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
So now, in order to be a truly frum Jew, one HAS to travel for Pesach and Shabes Nachamu.

What is next?
Sukkos Glamping?
Chanukah ski trips?

and Chag Yeshiva week.

coloredleaves

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:54 pm
It's a ny/ in thing. After the three weeks "everyone" goes away. That being said, we aren't going away either. But it definitely is a "thing". And many frum magazines advertize heavily for shabbas nachamu events and retreats .

coloredleaves

It's a ny/Nj thing. After the three weeks "everyone" goes away. That being said, we aren't going away either. But it definitely is a "thing". And many frum magazines advertize heavily for shabbas nachamu events and retreats .

tichellady

Never even heard of this until imamother

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:

What is next?
Sukkos Glamping?
Chanukah ski trips?

I glamp in my Sukka every year - love my staycation sitting in a comfy chair w a book in my sukka... ahh looking forward. Why go away for shabbos nachamu when I live in a vacation home all year? I am guilty of chanuka ski trips tho so I guess that make me 25% Jewish?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:01 pm
Because for the yeshiva folk schools out so it makes sense to get away at this time.

How the yeshiva folk and Chassidish crowd can afford these lavish and pricey hotel stays is a mystery.

Growing up we never went away shabbos nachamu specifically but we did go away for a couple days always midweek to Lancaster , poconos or the mountains (with the rest of Lakewood). My parents could never afford the $2,000+ shabbos getaways that seems like everyone somehow can.

We can’t either, and we’re fine. We’re spending shabbos with my inlaws all expenses paid Smile gourmet food, decent beds and private bathroom (though there’s no place like home) and good company.

Though I hope my friends dont find out that I’m not staying in a hotel! embarrassed does it count that I’m flying (to nowhere exotic)? Soooo mortifying!!

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
You will never believe it.... We are staying home for Shabbos Nachamu! Can you imagine the embarrassment? We will have to sleep in our own comfortable beds, eat our own delicious meals and spend time in our own cozy home with our own adorable family. Please don't tell anyone though, I'm worried it'll make us look bad for shidduchim and all...

But really, why is it that everyone feels the need to go away shabbos Nachamu? They are willing to shlep their entire house, drive a few hours with kvetchy kids, just to be in a who- knows -what- condition hotel, in uncomfortable beds, with the whole family in one cramped room all shabbos long, just to be able to say they did something?? There have been countless threads recently asking for ideas of where to go... Just curious what everyone's reasoning is?

There was a break in last year or 2 yrs ago. the owner of the house turned to the thief & said, I won't report you to the police, if you don't tell anyone you found me home on shabbos nachmu.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 25 2018, 9:04 pm
Hugging posts is not enough.
Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

Imchem anochi batzara.....
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics